+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In of two minds really. On the one hand it's harvest time and you knew before going. On the other hand you made it clear to your DH you didn't want to end up in the situation you're now in.

I would probably be more p*ssed at myself than DH and the IL's. I'd be thinking I should have realised this would happen regardless of what I'd discussed with DH.

Either way it sucks. Can you take the kids off somewhere else tomorrow?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yup I know the feeling. DH has a family farm and every time I take DD out there he ends up "just doing a couple of jobs" while we are left in the baking sun at a total loose end.
    Now I refuse to go unless I take my own car so I can bail with DD if things go on too long. We come out for a quick visit, see the animals, watch the tractor, then head home.
    Next time either plan to be left alone while he works, refuse to go, or take your own transport so you can bail.
    Not unreasonable. $hits me to tears but that's farming for you.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (05-03-2016),Californication  (05-03-2016),KitiK  (06-03-2016),VicPark  (05-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    Yup I know the feeling. DH has a family farm and every time I take DD out there he ends up "just doing a couple of jobs" while we are left in the baking sun at a total loose end.
    Now I refuse to go unless I take my own car so I can bail with DD if things go on too long. We come out for a quick visit, see the animals, watch the tractor, then head home.
    Next time either plan to be left alone while he works, refuse to go, or take your own transport so you can bail.
    Not unreasonable. $hits me to tears but that's farming for you.
    This is us too. I now don't believe him when he says he's "just got a quick job to do. I'll be 10 minutes". That usually translates to at least an hour 🙄

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (05-03-2016),rosey82  (05-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think your being unreasonable. Go with the flow and enjoy the outdoors. It would be good for your kids to run wild and enjoy the space.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (05-03-2016),jb23  (06-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm I actually think you're lucky to be sitting down watching & haven't been asked to help too lol. I am from a farming background, where it is just expected that everyone chips in and helps out, ESPECIALLY sons. Where I am from, all of the boys would be having time off school for harvesting or crutching sheep by grade 3. I get that it must be unusual for you if that isn't your own experience,though. I would enjoy the lovely fresh air and outdoors experience with the kids, roam about the olive trees, & enjoy yourself!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

jb23  (06-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    So you had a nice lunch? Sounds like they've made a huge effort for you and now your DH is helping his parents.

Whenever we visit my inlaws my DH cooks for them, does work around the house etc. It's just how some families role. I actually think it's lovely your DH is involved with his parents hobby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its reasonable to be annoyed at your DH because you made it clear that you didn't want your afternoon to go this way. But I wouldn't be annoyed at your in laws because if its harvesting time, its harvesting time. As you said, there's no other help so they have to jump in and do it.

I think your DH shouldn't have proposed a visit at such a busy time for them unless he intended to get in and help all along. The time for celebrating harvest is after harvest.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Am I being unreasonable

Gees I wish my ILs had an olive grove to hang out at. Imagine all the delicious olives and olive oil dipped in fresh crusty bread! **dreaming of Tuscany here!!**

If u didn't have the kidlets I would have said it would be nice to help, but with a 22mth old, I reckon you're excused to help tidy up after lunch and then chill out with Bub indoors if it's too hot.

If ur kids are anything like mine, I'd just be thankful for not being at home tidying up after them 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    In this case yes. You chose to go during Olive harvesting time. What did you really think was going to happen? Can you take the kids inside ? Why do you have to be outside with the kids?
    There is no inside. It's a hobby farm, no house, no power etc etc

What I thought was going to happen was that we would have the picnic lunch with the family to mark the occasion, wander through a row of olive trees or two so ds could see/experience it for a bit and then go home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    So you had a nice lunch? Sounds like they've made a huge effort for you and now your DH is helping his parents.

Whenever we visit my inlaws my DH cooks for them, does work around the house etc. It's just how some families role. I actually think it's lovely your DH is involved with his parents hobby.
    Well, they had salad rolls. I've just had gastric surgery so I'm not able to eat what they provided but, of course, they would have given me a salad roll too, had I been able to eat it.

I'm happy my dh is involved with his Dad's hobby too but I guess I'm not that keen on trying to entertain two hot and tired kidlets while the others are picking olives.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (06-03-2016)