Breastfeeding 11 month old | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is bub actually drinking a lot or comfort sucking?

I only weaned DS a few months ago (he is almost 3!) but his was definitely comfort feeding.

So I slowly weaned one at a time every few days and replaced with pats/cuddles.

If bub is drinking lots try feeding more solids as suggested or it could juat be a growth spurt too. I'd still suggest just dropping one at a time to see how you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    That's actually a choking hazard and outdated advice.
    Maybe not... They may just be using a thickener, and not cereal or a risk, which I agree is dangerous and outdated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I definitely think the night feeding is a comfort/habit thing..

I guess I was just a bit concerned if I weaned during the night he wouldn't be having much milk at all.

He's great with his solids. Has 3 meals and snacks. Do you think it's ok at this age to having that much or should we try and cut back on the solids to get some more milk in during the day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Your bub is nearly 12 months. I wouldn't be cutting back on the solids. If anything I would be thinking about having solids first at some meal times. It's normal for bubs milk intake to decline when bub gets older and solids take off (sad at times because bf'ing is wonderful - but a normal part of growing up).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    That's actually a choking hazard and outdated advice.

To the OP. Both my older girls went thru a phase of feeding lots around 8-10 mths. I found it was too much solids during the day. They weren't filling up on more calorie rich BM as I was offering too many solids. Once I slowed the solids to only breakfast and lunch it helped significantly. I didn't give a third meal till over 12mths.

Babies that age are too busy exploring the world and aren't keen on feeding. As I always feed to sleep my girls get full tummies before and after every nap and every hour ish during their awake times. This helps them sleep better at night.
    Whatever my friends used in the milk was a thickener, don't think a baby could choke on it. It may be an old school method though 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 8.5 month old (then 7 months) was feeding heaps at night, when we went to sleep school they said to cut down to one night feed max. It was fricking HARD the first few nights but it worked, he started feeding properly during the day and our routine became more consistent and smoother which in turn promoted even better sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had some success with the Dr Jay Gordon night weaning method. You can google it. It's gentle and helped my daughter reduce her feeds overnight. But it's only recommended from 12 months, though I think you're close enough to try it anyway!!

No idea how to get bub to feed more during the day though! All you can do is offer and is he refuses so be it. Could you express and give breast milk in a sippy cup instead maybe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fi Poledancer View Post
    My 8.5 month old (then 7 months) was feeding heaps at night, when we went to sleep school they said to cut down to one night feed max. It was fricking HARD the first few nights but it worked, he started feeding properly during the day and our routine became more consistent and smoother which in turn promoted even better sleep
    Can I ask how you did it? I did some sleep training with my 9 month old a few months ago and things were going ok and we were down to 2 night feeds but for various reasons like travelling and not being able to be consistent with the sleep training we are back to square one and at night when he wakes he becomes completely hysterical if he doesn't get boob. So for the sake of getting some sleep he's been feeding about 6-8 times a night (not really feeding, just taking comfort sucking but if I try and give dummy first he does mad).
    I'm planning to sleep train again once I get home but will wait a few weeks until he's over the jetlag as it took him a long time to get over it at this end. Just not looking forward to it as it was so hard before and he's very stubborn and will cry for long periods. And I know I'm off to an even worse start as at least before I could try dummy first and if that failed after a while feed. Now he just throws himself around pushing the dummy away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @nh2489 Sure.. this was our experience. We did a day stay at sleep school and they made me let him cry it out. He cried for 8 minutes, I cried too! Then the next sleep he grizzled and went to sleep haha. When we got home, I wasn't comfortable with doing cry-it-out (my baby is a bit random so the crying didn't just get less and less and then stop), so I did responsive settling instead. Which meant I let him grizzle and gave him a few minutes to put himself to sleep, but as soon as the cry got too upset, I went in and patted him in his cot, with a quick cuddle if needed. I generally stayed with him until he went to sleep as it seemed to upset him more if I came and left. He got the hang of day sleeps very fast, bedtime at night took a little longer but still relatively quick in the scheme of things. We always had a very good pre-bed routine with a bath, PJs and feed, so I just added a story in at the end. However, now he self settles easily, I let him fall asleep on the boob most nights, as it doesn't seem to have an impact, and is much nicer than prodding him awake. But I guess you'd have to figure out whether that was okay for your baby.
    Cutting out night feeds was quite tough. He was feeding 3-5 times a night and they told me feed him around midnight and that's it. So we would be rocking, patting etc trying to get him back to sleep without a feed. One night, my husband took over and when A woke up, he let him cry for a few minutes and didn't go straight in. A went back to sleep! From that night, he was happy to have 1-2 feeds and sleep 5-11 hour stretches.
    We just try to be as consistent as possible, it's great because I'm not having to feed him to sleep, I can stick to a feed-play-sleep routine and things are nice and smooth. We went on a holiday down south (no time difference) and he was great. He is cutting his canine teeth at the moment so he's waking up more and catnapping a little, but still self-settling so I'm just doing my best to be consistent. Hopefully we won't have gone TOO far backwards once the teething finishes but I'll let you know (!!!!)

So yeah it wasn't easy. But it was worth it. There was a bit of crying but not excessive amounts. It was very very hard for me to let him cry at all, so having my partner and sister-in-law help was invaluable. He's still such a happy bubba and super well attached to both of us.

It must be so hard with jet lag to factor in!!! I would wait until you are both settled back in at home and then come up with a plan that works for you... maybe based on what worked last time??? I was worried that going in and patting my boy when he got upset would lead to more crying longer term but it seemed to work well, I assume because he knew I was there if he really needed.

WOW sorry for the essay, I hope there is something helpful in there!!!! Ohh we do lullabies, fan (white noise), sleeping bag and lamb comforter for EVERY sleep. He has two naps, one around 9.30am and one around 1.30pm. xox

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fi Poledancer For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (16-04-2016),nh2489  (17-04-2016)