+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Of course, but sometimes our kids are not going to like what we do and we need to get over it. They won't love us any less. I'm not going to let my 3 year old cross the road without holding my hand. If that hurts her feelings then too bad. I try and explain it and if she doesn't hold my hand then I carry her, which leads to her screaming and kicking.
    But that's what I mean, the 'respectful parenting' approach doesn't mean we just let them do what they like to avoid a tantrum. Of course I still hold my child's hand to cross a street when he doesn't want to or make him sit in his carseat.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When mine have had tantrums I don't negotiate. I basically tell them calmly what their options are and leave them to make their choice. I will tell them that I'm here to help them make the choice and for a hug when they are ready, but after that I leave them to it. Or if it's something I have to do for them I will tell them that it's happening and just do it. I don't think explaining anything to anyone in the middle of a tantrum is effective at all- it won't get through. You can reinforce why certain things need to happen at other times- when they are doing the right thing is good, as you can also praise them for doing the right thing 'thank you for getting straight in your car seat, you need to sit in here to keep you safe when we're driving'
    I do have a zero tolerance policy on hitting or throwing or deliberately damaging anything- that's a straight time out in our house. Time out is just sitting on the floor/my bed with me for as many minutes as they are old. It's basically a cooling down tool, but I will never tolerate anyone hurting anyone else or damaging things in my house- no negotiations or explanations, if you harm someone you are excluded immediately.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

misho  (04-03-2016),Nemmi1987  (05-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have 2 children, very different so I parent them differently.
    DD always and still to this day needs to be woken up half an hour earlier, rushing triggers a little beast in her that can make life hell! So at that age before bed she would choose from either outfit a or b, including underwear and socks, and there was no changing in the morning.
    With getting in the car if we were not rushing it was easier, or I would bring a bribe/reward item or snack, and once we were on our way she can play with the item or have a snack.
    I try to be respectful of their feelings at all times, however, while in the midst of a tantrum there is no reasoning, so I walk away and say when you calm down and are able to use your words we will work this out.
    DS will not like DD stop after I walk away so he gets his comfort item and has a time out, sort of, so I'll say I can see your really upset take your dolly and sit here a chill out until your ready to talk. They never get me to do what they want in the midst of a tantrum.
    Realistically with time restraints, and safety in mind sometimes they go nuts and you just don't have time to deal with it, like when you force her into the car seat, try to break the cycle by distracting her, other times it is what it is.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm truly baffled by this concept "respectful parenting"? Isn't it just parenting?? Seems like common sense with a label.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (04-03-2016),J37  (05-03-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (04-03-2016),VicPark  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I'm truly baffled by this concept "respectful parenting"? Isn't it just parenting?? Seems like common sense with a label.
    Everything parenting related needs a label these days 😩

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

J37  (05-03-2016),Stretched  (05-03-2016),VicPark  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In the midst of a tantrum, I find either removing myself or my child from the situation, so they have alone time, works best. Once they calm down, I go back in and discuss... anything before that just intensifies the situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not really, I don't see smacking a child as respecting them. It's still parenting but not respecting the child. Ignoring their feels and preferences isn't respectful anyway, yet a lot of people do that while parenting.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (04-03-2016),BettyV  (04-03-2016),binnielici  (05-03-2016),FearlessLeader  (04-03-2016),just her chameleon  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Respectfully parenting a threenager

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    But that's what I mean, the 'respectful parenting' approach doesn't mean we just let them do what they like to avoid a tantrum. Of course I still hold my child's hand to cross a street when he doesn't want to or make him sit in his carseat.
    Every child is going to have a tantrum at some stage no matter how you parent. I was referring to the way we deal with it. I ignore my children's tantrums most of the time. They get NO attention from me. I don't negotiate with them whether I'm allowed to stand or sit during their tantrum or if I am allowed in the room with the door open or closed or if I'm allowed to touch them or talk to them or whatever. If people think that I am disrespectful to my child because of this then so be it.

I was only telling the op how I deal with tantrums in my house and that generally it is successful with very few tantrums that don't last long at all.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

J37  (05-03-2016),Nemmi1987  (05-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Not really, I don't see smacking a child as respecting them. It's still parenting but not respecting the child. Ignoring their feels and preferences isn't respectful anyway, yet a lot of people do that while parenting.
    I don't see smacking as common sense parenting. Smacking is so far from my parenting style. Maybe common sense parenting is too subjective to get my point across. I respect my children's feelings and preferences but only to the degree they can be accommodated within a large family and in a safe environment. That to me is common sense.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Surely you've been around long enough to not be baffled by this term?