+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 4 yr old is wetting the bed but won't wear a nappy

My 4 year old doesn't wear a nappy during the day, and since January he has also been sleeping without a nappy some nights, but not all. Recently he has started refusing to wear a nappy at night, saying that his friends at childcare don't wear nappies at night and nappies are for babies. I'm more than happy with this turn of events, except that he is now wetting the bed every night! In the last week he has only had 1 dry night. The week before that he had 3 dry nights, so it's getting worse. He has wet the bed to the point that the mattress protector is ruined from all the washing and now we need to buy a new one.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do in this situation? DH wants to force him to wear a nappy every night. Im not sure this is the right thing to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure either but have you tried a reward chart?
    At aldi last week I picked up a bed pad/mat which is super easy to wash/dry, saves washing sheets and protectors all the time, maybe you should look into getting something similar for the short term.
    Personally I wouldn't force him to wear a nappy if he doesn't want one, but again I'm not sure what the right thing to do is. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Will he wear those Dry Nights pants, or even a pull up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Will he wear those Dry Nights pants, or even a pull up?
    Possibly. I might go buy some today. I can call them "special undies".. Although he might be too smart to fall for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I'm not sure either but have you tried a reward chart?
    At aldi last week I picked up a bed pad/mat which is super easy to wash/dry, saves washing sheets and protectors all the time, maybe you should look into getting something similar for the short term.
    Personally I wouldn't force him to wear a nappy if he doesn't want one, but again I'm not sure what the right thing to do is. Good luck!
    Those mats sound good! Do aldi still sell them? Do they go under the sheet or on top? He wriggles around a lot in bed, so if it goes over the sheet, I'm not sure how it would stay in one place..

Thanks
    Reviews
    If aldi doesn't sell them you can order brolly sheets from the net.
    They are similar to the aldi ones but are bit more expensive.
    The brolly sheet don't cover the whole bed but you tuck them in the sides so they don't move around.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went through this with my DS around that age. I decided to let the nappy go (and liked that he wanted to move out of the nappy stage) and put down a towel under him every night. Then when he wet the bed, I'd change his towel, and his pjs, put him on the toilet, and back to bed. I'd always take him straight to the toilet, and then do the changing. Over time, he started waking up as soon as he'd wet a little and then running to the toilet to finish. And now he only wets the bed once very few months (and its only a very little - just enough to make his pants damp).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4 yr old is wetting the bed but won't wear a nappy

Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Those mats sound good! Do aldi still sell them? Do they go under the sheet or on top? He wriggles around a lot in bed, so if it goes over the sheet, I'm not sure how it would stay in one place..
    Some Aldis still might have them. You can also get the same thing on the net, but a bit more expensive, they are $40 at aldi.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1457036409.777822.jpg

As jontu described they tuck into the mattress over the top of the sheets. They also come with a little reward chart. Dd1 has occasionally wet the bed during her nap and it's really easy to change.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you limit drinks before bed, I know it hard in the summer, this is what we've just started doing with my dd, nothing after 7pm, then a small drink of water right before bed. I lift her to the toilet when I go to bed about 10:30 and she goes without any problems and doesn't wake, so far so good for us, gets us dry through till we're all up at 6:30.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkTutu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use a plastic shower curtain and then towel and then fitted sheet. Then I do two more layers of that. When we have an accident, I can just whip off a layer to the next fitted sheet, change pjs and back to bed. In saying that, however, I'm currently insisting that my 4 year old wear a nappy at night. I've told him that he can wear jocks when he starts getting up to go to the toilet and not just sleeping through and wetting his nappy. We tried jocks and had some great success, until we realised that he wasn't holding it, but just didn't need to go. Any night that he needed to go, he wet. I decided that he wasn't ready yet and we will try again later.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post: