+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bardon State School (QLD) - opinions?

Just wondering if anyone has any reviews of Bardon SS? My son is 3 and we'd like to send him to a good primary school - ideally not Catholic. My son is enrolled at Bardon for 2018. We've been to a few open days and had a tour of the school. We like that it's small and it seems to have a nice community.

My son is enrolled at Bardon for 2018. We've been to a few open days and had a tour of the school. We like that it's small and it seems to have a nice community.

I spoke to a mum today at my son's daycare whose son goes to Bardon. When I asked her what she thought of the school she said, "It's okay........." (I was quite surprised at her respomse as I thought Bardon was supposed to be a great school.) She then went on to explain that prep is VERY full-on and there's not much playtime and there's a lot of emphasis on academia. The leap between kindergarten and prep is a really big one at Bardon and the kids are worked too hard.

Tonight I just read on another website that Bardon has somewhat of a bullying culture. (???) I don't know if those reviews were just written by some disgruntled students or if they're legitimate issues.

We've also looked into McDowall SS and Ashgrove SS, but from what I understand they're very big schools. My husband really doesn't want to send our sons to a big school as he went to BGS and hated that aspect.

Any advice/opinions would be HUGELY appreciated. Like so many other parents I'm freaking out about getting my sons into a school that's right for them. Can't believe how competitive it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Have you tried Milton PS? I have lots of friends whose kids go there and they love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For McDowall SS you have to live in the catchment... Where do you live? Then it might be easier to recommend schools. Albany Hills SS is fabulous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You won't find a difference in the workload at a different state school. All schools are on the national curriculum now and will be doing the same amount of work. It is full on and it's too much for 4/5 year olds, but not much you can do about that.

I have heard good things about Bardon ss. We have friends who go there and love it. We go to a small school and really love the community feel.

Good luck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Prep/foundation is based on national curriculum whereas kindergarten in QLD is still play based. It will be full on with every school. Ashgrove SS is definitely locality based. So unless you live there you are unlikely to get in.