+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Erin
    I would be really worried about it going over there and it not working that would devastate me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I have heard its his relation, a lot of my friends said that even when they told his receptionist their ages their first comment was 'this ones for greece', my single friend went there twice and she said once you are getting the transfer they put you on the spot and say thats an extra $$$$ one charge was for even being single so whats his mates clinic called? I also have a friend that used him here and he stuffed up her donors protocol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah, well it is still a gamble, wherever you do it. I'm sure you'd be devastated if it didn't work here too. I was exceptionally lucky, but not everyone is first time. Most people I've come across on Bub hub have been successful on the second or third try, if not the first. Those that aren't often have other issues going in...immune issues, lining issues etc so it's good to rule those all out before starting.

I see one advantage of SA and other overseas countries where it's anonymous, is that the donors are generally quite young so the eggs are about the best you can get 'fertile-wise'. Even so, there is always a risk that it may not work.

For what it's worth, CFC have a success rate of around 60-70% for donor eggs. So I kept saying to myself 'more likely to work than not work'!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lissimmo View Post
    Yes I have heard its his relation, a lot of my friends said that even when they told his receptionist their ages their first comment was 'this ones for greece', my single friend went there twice and she said once you are getting the transfer they put you on the spot and say thats an extra $$$$ one charge was for even being single so whats his mates clinic called? I also have a friend that used him here and he stuffed up her donors protocol
    Oh that's awful - your poor friend, that's just not right. I've not heard about the 'single' fee before, or extra charge on transfer day - we got charged less if we agreed to accept a receipt for half of what we actually paid. I'm not a fan of his or that clinic, I felt like an entry on his spreadsheet, we had trouble with the Greek clinic while there and we contacted him and he basically said 'suck it up it'll be fine', I did get pregnant at his mates clinic (which is called Genesis) then the day after my appointment with him here he flew to holiday in New York with the guy, I started miscarrying and it was handled by his replacement (who was lovely), I never heard from him or that Greek clinic again, I rang to cancel my OB appointments and they said 'oh yeah we've done that already', it was tawdry. He also has a massively high Caesar rate (and a reputation for 'nicking' the baby - according to a mum I met at swimming), but who knows. Regardless, it wasn't for me, and I do know of other patients of his who trust him so it's just one of those horses for courses things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps - I agree with everything MrsErinR said :-D

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Here I am my Intro

Oh and I think you can bring embies back to Aus - I think @myheart did that? Or maybe she just got the eggs flown here - but it's pretty pricey, cheaper to go to Cape Town, or Athens or whichever location you choose and get a holiday to boot. (And I think the donor has to be prepared to waive anonymity given the transfer us done here).

As to it not working - unfortunately donor eggs aren't the golden bullet, although God knows they help! The best you can do is make sure you have a young, proven donor and hope for the best! (And pick a clinic with a good live birth rate of course :-)

Exciting times ahead for you! Good luck x
    Last edited by Vixjc; 05-03-2016 at 21:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsErinR View Post
    Yeah, well it is still a gamble, wherever you do it. I'm sure you'd be devastated if it didn't work here too. I was exceptionally lucky, but not everyone is first time. Most people I've come across on Bub hub have been successful on the second or third try, if not the first. Those that aren't often have other issues going in...immune issues, lining issues etc so it's good to rule those all out before starting.

I see one advantage of SA and other overseas countries where it's anonymous, is that the donors are generally quite young so the eggs are about the best you can get 'fertile-wise'. Even so, there is always a risk that it may not work.

For what it's worth, CFC have a success rate of around 60-70% for donor eggs. So I kept saying to myself 'more likely to work than not work'!
    CFC being the SA clinic? do they have a web page?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had all the tests ive been told my lining and everything is great, why do you think there is a 60-70% success rate over there do you know what it is here?
    What about the medicare rebate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lissimmo View Post
    I have had all the tests ive been told my lining and everything is great, why do you think there is a 60-70% success rate over there do you know what it is here?
    What about the medicare rebate?
    My understanding is that most reputable clinics (cfc is great from everything I've heard) have a 60-70% success rate when donor eggs are involved. So if you had a young proven donor here and a good clinic eg Monash, then the success rate should also be good.

You don't get Medicare rebate for OS IVF. You used to be able to claim the costs on tax, but not anymore. I imagine if you do donor IVF here then some will be covered by Medicare and private health but I'm not sure.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Here I am my Intro

I agree with everything @Vixjc said.

And yes, you can bring embryos (or is it eggs?) back to Australia using 'the world egg bank'. That's what @myheart did I believe. But, I understand it is extremely expensive for a small number of embryos and the success rate is not that high.

Cape fertility clinic does have a website but I don't think I can mention it here. You'll find it with a quick search though. They are in Claremont, Cape Town.