+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First Scan

So after HPT and blood test, Doctor confirmed I'm 6+3.

She said no need for a dating scan as I'm sure of my period dates.

I asked for a referral for the harmony test, which she gave me and went on to say that the NT scan wouldn't be necessary but I'd need the Morph at 20 weeks. 😳

Freaking out... Obviously really want to confirm that everything is ok and on track.

Waiting for a call back to book in with the midwife clinic.

WWYD?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The 12 week scan and blood test combination checks for normal growth and abnormalities, the harmony test as far as I know only looks at limited genetic abnormalities so will not tell you if bub has abnormal growth, cardiac or brain development issues or anything like that. I'd be getting the ultrasound in addition to (or instead of) harmony test. This site has some info about it and recommends a scan too;
    http://www.swus.com.au/nipt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I could be wrong, but I thought you still needed to have an NT scan even if you were having the Harmony? Just to look to see if everything else is developing on track.... hopefully someone else will be able to confirm 100%

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    The 12 week scan and blood test combination checks for normal growth and abnormalities, the harmony test as far as I know only looks at limited genetic abnormalities so will not tell you if bub has abnormal growth, cardiac or brain development issues or anything like that. I'd be getting the ultrasound in addition to (or instead of) harmony test. This site has some info about it and recommends a scan too;
    http://www.swus.com.au/nipt
    Thanks - my intention was always to have the harmony & NT scan, was a bit shocked! Think I'll see another GP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default First Scan

Quote Originally Posted by PinkTutu View Post
    Thanks - my intention was always to have the harmony & NT scan, was a bit shocked! Think I'll see another GP.
    Here is what I recently came across when I was trying to choose obs for this pregnancy:

From Dr Blumenthal website:

"Non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT) : This test assesses cell free DNA in the mothers blood and is a very good way to screen for specific abnormal chromosome numbers such as chromosomes 13,18,21 and the sex chromosomes.

The NIPT test will detect 99% of Down Syndrome (chromosome 21) cases and a low risk is therefore reassuring but a high risk needs to be confirmed by a chorionic villous sample or an amniocentesis.

It is important to note that the NIPT does not identify any abnormal chromosome numbers other than 13,18,21 and the sex chromosomes.

The NIPT test is is currently designed to be an adjunct to combined first trimester screening."

http://www.blumenthalclinic.com.au/p...d-counselling/

In other words, it is important to still have the NT scan and blood test (in addition to the harmony test).

The harmony test is quite exxy though. Did your doctor advise you how much it would cost?
    Last edited by witherwings; 04-03-2016 at 22:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Posts like this make me really mad at doctors.

First of all, everything probably is fine. Almost certainly so. But I was one of those people with no risk factors at all, where things were not fine, so I have a different perspective.

I would get a dating scan at 7 weeks to check the location of the pregnancy and that a heartbeat is present.

I got the harmony and the NT plus. That will check for chromosomal issues and key anatomy issues (eg does your baby have a brain?) One other important factor of the NT bloods is the Papp a measurement. This is not just a marker for the trisomies, it is a test for how the placenta is functioning. If your Papp a is low it's good to know as you may need more monitoring. They should also check the cervix at this scan in case it is shortening early. They can do things about that.

Then there's the 18-20 week morph scan. Take it from someone who first found out about problems at the morph scan, you want to avoid this at all costs. With my current pregnancy I had an early morph at 15 weeks in addition to the 12 and 19 week scans.

As I said, you're almost certainly going to be fine, but those early scans do test for some things that can be managed. I feel that your doctor is rolling a dice and betting it won't come up on an unexpected side (which it probably won't but still).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

lauzie  (05-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkTutu View Post
    So after HPT and blood test, Doctor confirmed I'm 6+3.

She said no need for a dating scan as I'm sure of my period dates.

I asked for a referral for the harmony test, which she gave me and went on to say that the NT scan wouldn't be necessary but I'd need the Morph at 20 weeks. 😳

Freaking out... Obviously really want to confirm that everything is ok and on track.

Waiting for a call back to book in with the midwife clinic.

WWYD?
    I just had the dating scan (my cycle is odd) and morph scan. I've got no medical reason to warrant the NT scan or any other testing. My ob didn't recommend I do any other testing.

Some doctors manage their low risk patients differently.

ETA- did this for all 3X pregnancies.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (05-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please go and get both nt scan and NT bloods plus harmony.

I chose to just do NT scan and harmony bloods and I was in one of the 3% of ppl that didn't produce enough fetal fraction (baby DNA) so my harmony test had to be repeated 3 times!!! (Only have to pay once) so here I was at 14 weeks and didn't have my risk ratio. Even though I knew all was ok from scan, you want all the facts for piece of mind.

I second everything that Sally said above.

If you want a dating scan, go back and ask or head to another gp. It is always good to know how they pregnancy is progressing and the location of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    Posts like this make me really mad at doctors.

First of all, everything probably is fine. Almost certainly so. But I was one of those people with no risk factors at all, where things were not fine, so I have a different perspective.

I would get a dating scan at 7 weeks to check the location of the pregnancy and that a heartbeat is present.

I got the harmony and the NT plus. That will check for chromosomal issues and key anatomy issues (eg does your baby have a brain?) One other important factor of the NT bloods is the Papp a measurement. This is not just a marker for the trisomies, it is a test for how the placenta is functioning. If your Papp a is low it's good to know as you may need more monitoring. They should also check the cervix at this scan in case it is shortening early. They can do things about that.

Then there's the 18-20 week morph scan. Take it from someone who first found out about problems at the morph scan, you want to avoid this at all costs. With my current pregnancy I had an early morph at 15 weeks in addition to the 12 and 19 week scans.

As I said, you're almost certainly going to be fine, but those early scans do test for some things that can be managed. I feel that your doctor is rolling a dice and betting it won't come up on an unexpected side (which it probably won't but still).
    Thanks to all for your advice and to Sally for sharing your experience.

The idea of no scan until 20 weeks just didn't sit well.

I called the doctors today and asked for a referral for a dating scan. Then will get booked in with with either the midwifery group or OB by 10 weeks.

Thx again.