+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm currently on antidepressants for PND. They've minimised the depressive symptoms and I am much happier while I am taking them. I still have bad days occasionally, but they are no where near as frequent as they were. I haven't found it to impact negatively on my happiness.
    I have found that my anxiety hasn't been managed by the antidepressants as well as the depressive symptoms. But, apparently a side effect of some antidepressants can be anxiety for *some* people. I've found that management techniques have helped most with this, but they're hard to use when you're close to flipping your lid.

If your psychologist feels that medication may be warranted, they might write to or call your GP. However, as other PPs have said, they don't do the medical training to make decisions about medications.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been on Zoloft and I don't feel like they are numbing me at all, in fact I feel more of a range of emotions than I do without the medication in a positive way. I'll be back later, my phone battery is super low!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenga For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is still all new to me, but this is the reason I chose to get my therapy with a psychiatrist not psychologist.
    A psychologist can not prescribe you any medication, and I thought I would probably need some.
    I had the same concerns and told her a million times I don't want to feel numb, she said to return if I didn't feel good, but that that was not what the medication would do, and that it won't work straight away. Whilst my dosage is mild, and I do not feel numb at all, but am getting some sleep finally!
    Express your concerns while your there, and if your expecting you will need meds, try to see a psychiatrist.
    I think the most important part of this is the actual therapy, you'll be given strategies to try, to ease your symptoms, while trying to get to the root of the problem.
    Good luck, once you start and find a therapist to suit you, it stops being so nerve wracking and you walk out there with a little sense of relief.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    I think an important thing to remember is that meds can have hugely different effects in different people, in both the side effects and the actual anti-depressant/anxiolytic effects.
    In my case, SSRIs were totally useless but SNRIs were great - lifted my mood and resilience (so I could quickly overcome a bad experience/thought and not just collapse into a giant hole of sadness everytime), I didn't experience an overall numbing effect.
    But you might find the complete opposite! It's hard to generalise, just trial and error unfortunately.
    This. Except for me SSRI's work!

With a psychologist you will be working on things like CBT which can be very helpful for people (and many people do not actually need meds!). It sounds like a bunch of bull I know but in conjunction with things like exercise and certain vitamins can do amazing things.

For me, I need the meds. Not a huge amount but I seem to just be one of those people that do not have the right chemical/hormonal balance (I have a long family history of MI though).

Meds for me do not 'dull'. In my case it is mostly to help anxiety. Without meds I almost constantly have a panic attack. And cry a lot. At nothing. Meds make me more 'normal' - as in I can think, function and live life. I still feel and I still get happy and upset. It just does not have the huge spikes.

Anyway, go with an open mind. If you do have more questions please ask

8. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Your experience on anxiety and depression meds

As others have said, a psychologist can't prescribe meds, only your gp or a psychiatrist can. Psychologists are usually just therapists specializing in some form of therapy like cognitive behavior, etc. Many people usually need a combo of meds and therapy, therapy personally doesn't work for me UNLESS I'm on meds, I'm not really receptive to what they are telling me until the meds clear my head a bit.

I was on antidepressants for anxiety and depression for about 8 years before having DS. There were a couple times I stopped but then went back on a year later. I wouldn't say they dull your happy and sad moments. What they do for me is take the anxiety and gloom away enough so that I CAN be excited about things or not feel panicky, or just care, enable me to sleep better because the anxiety is gone, etc.

It was really hard to bring myself to ask for them when I first needed them, I thought it meant admitting I was crazy, but now I wouldn't never not take them if I needed them.

Also, as pp said, you have to give them a chance to work and also know it's definitely trial and error in working out which pill and dose works best for you. I never experienced side effects, some just didn't work for me and others did.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 03-03-2016 at 17:24.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    As others have said, a psychologist can't prescribe meds, only your gp or a psychiatrist can. Psychologists are usually just therapists specializing in some form of therapy like cognitive behavior, etc. Many people usually need a combo of meds and therapy, therapy personally doesn't work for me UNLESS I'm on meds, I'm not really receptive to what they are telling me until the meds clear my head a bit.
    This was me too. I really did not want the meds, but in the end listened to my therapist, and I think she was right I would not have been receptive without them.

That's why it's also important to find a therapist you feel is a good fit for you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't have depression but have had anxiety all my life. I never really realised how bad it was until I finally got on AD's last year. I had held off for the same reason as you - I didn't want to be numb. I had a friend on zoloft and she said it just made her feel nothing - no anger, no happiness, she was just a shell (hers was for depression).

Then I got on Cymbalta. When I was prescribed them I was the heaviest I've ever been (I've lost a fair bit of weight since then) and was worried about meds causing more weight gain. I know that sounds shallow but looking back my self image was so bad depression was creeping it and I emotionally needed an AD that didn't cause weight gain. On 30mg I didn't feel any different but once he upped me to 60mg a month later the results were very noticeable. They don't 'numb' me out. I still feel everything. I still have anxiety. But I would describe it as leveling me out. Where a situation would have me in meltdown on the verge of a panic attack, now I get annoyed, get a bit anxious but I deal with it.

My advice is to try some meds, and be prepared you may need to try a few different brands. Much like formula I guess lol I was lucky I had pretty much no side effects on Cymbalta. My DH who also suffers anxiety saw my progress and also sought help. He had to try half a dozen before he tried Effexor and it suited him.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    I'm currently on antidepressants for PND. They've minimised the depressive symptoms and I am much happier while I am taking them. I still have bad days occasionally, but they are no where near as frequent as they were. I haven't found it to impact negatively on my happiness.
    I have found that my anxiety hasn't been managed by the antidepressants as well as the depressive symptoms. But, apparently a side effect of some antidepressants can be anxiety for *some* people. I've found that management techniques have helped most with this, but they're hard to use when you're close to flipping your lid.

If your psychologist feels that medication may be warranted, they might write to or call your GP. However, as other PPs have said, they don't do the medical training to make decisions about medications.
    Yep. My story too. I'm on escital (generic version ) and it's working well for me. I'm able to deal with life's hiccups much better. I can still be happy but am definitely less sad. It's not doing much for my anxiety but I'm dealing with that in other ways.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-03-2016)