+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Your experience on anxiety and depression meds

I'm going to my first psychologist appointment this coming Monday and after speaking to my GP, it sounds like I'm suffering from both and I'm wanting to find out more about anti depressants and anxiety medication before discussing them at my session.

All I know about anti depressants are that they dull feelings of both sadness and happiness but that already bothers me. The whole point for me seeking help is that I want to be happier and enjoy this parenting gig more and learn some coping mechanism, but what's the point if it means I won't feel happy either - or am I taking that theory a little too far?

I really am lost with it all. I want to make sure I do my research before my session as I want to make the most of my time there as even with a Mental Health Plan it's not cheap!

TIA.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default There are other ways.....

Hello and sorry to hear you are feeling this way.Yes,its interesting how one can experience both anxiety and depression.In my 20's I experienced a great deal of depression but once I started to get over the depression,I slipped into anxious mode! I found it went deeper than that and tried to look for ways to deal with both.It took me a while but I found that listening to some form of meditation and performing simple Yoga started helping me.I also found that when I didn't do my weekly pampering treat,I would feel worse but when I did it,somehow those down feelings were transformed into up ones.

I understand how difficult it is to look after yourself especially with pampering, when you have to run a household but I figured that with a few shortcuts,I was able to also care for myself which is really important.This is why I devised my website which I chose to advertise on BubHub,I wanted to share the methods I learned to incorporate into my life that not only saved me time and money but helped me with my mindset as well.

I purposely offered my Beauty Secrets Program for Free because of the fact that so many people out there just don't realise how important our self care is connected to our minds.Did you know that bathing with essential oils really helps calm our mind and encourage good feelings? But ask your doctor if you are pregnant as some cannot be used whilst pregnant.

Anti -depressants can work but I prefer the natural alternative in this way we empower ourselves and not learn to depend on medication.
    Hope you feel a whole lot better soon,Carmel

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carmie8 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have been on medication for both( not atm) and overall found them helpful combined with seeing a counsellor. They dont work immediately and I did have to have my dose altered but after about 6 weeks I did feel an improvement. Some meds have been better than others so make sure you see your doc regularly to make sure you are on the right dose and med for you. Wishing you the best for a positive result

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You may find that the psychologist is not the best person to ask about medication as depending on their training they may not have the knowledge to answer (psychologists don't have prescribing rights so their knowledge could be limited). Your GP or a psychiatrist would be best placed to answer specific questions.
    Typically anti-depressants are prescribed for both depression and anxiety as they work for both (eg SSRIs or SNRIs). Anxiety-specific medications can be very sedating and are usually only prescribed for a very short period of time. There is often trial and error involved in finding the right one, but you definitely don't need to expecting a numbing or dulling of happiness as an effect. You might find that with some new coping strategies that you don't need medication - for some people medication makes the biggest differences, for others it's new coping strategies, or a combination of both.
    For me personally - when I was depressed and anxious a few years ago the biggest effect I experienced from taking medication was improved sleep (which helped me to cope with daily challenges) and less physical symptoms of anxiety. I definitely didn't get any numbing/ decrease in happiness.
    Good luck with your appointment with the psychologist. Just remember it's really important that you feel comfortable with them to get the best benefits so don't be afraid to see someone different if it doesn't feel right.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to misstrouble For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think an important thing to remember is that meds can have hugely different effects in different people, in both the side effects and the actual anti-depressant/anxiolytic effects.
    In my case, SSRIs were totally useless but SNRIs were great - lifted my mood and resilience (so I could quickly overcome a bad experience/thought and not just collapse into a giant hole of sadness everytime), I didn't experience an overall numbing effect.
    But you might find the complete opposite! It's hard to generalise, just trial and error unfortunately.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I suffered from bad depression in my late 20s . I started taking Zoloft. I took it for about 10 years. It did help but I wouldn't say it addressed the reasons as why I was depressed in the first place. It did make me feel a bit numb though.

I don't have depression anymore. I just have anxiety. I'm not any medication for that though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misstrouble View Post
    You may find that the psychologist is not the best person to ask about medication as depending on their training they may not have the knowledge to answer (psychologists don't have prescribing rights so their knowledge could be limited). Your GP or a psychiatrist would be best placed to answer specific questions.
    OP I don't have personal experience with meds for anxiety or depression (though I see a psychologist for anxiety and have found it extremely helpful), so I hope you don't mind me responding. I just wanted to agree with the post I have quoted. A psychologist is likely to have some knowledge about medications for psychiatric conditions, but they are not doctors and don't have medical training. A good GP or psychiatrist is likely to be better placed to provide advice and answer questions about medications.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am on pristiq. I've taken it for 2 years now and I feel it's the best one for me. I've had depression for 21 yrs now.

I still feel highs and lows I certainly don't feel "dull" on them. I do know that if I miss a dose I get an awful headache .

Thinking of you xxxx

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    OP I don't have personal experience with meds for anxiety or depression (though I see a psychologist for anxiety and have found it extremely helpful), so I hope you don't mind me responding. I just wanted to agree with the post I have quoted. A psychologist is likely to have some knowledge about medications for psychiatric conditions, but they are not doctors and don't have medical training. A good GP or psychiatrist is likely to be better placed to provide advice and answer questions about medications.
    Would the psychologist then refer me back to my GP if she felt that meds and counselling together would be best?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Would the psychologist then refer me back to my GP if she felt that meds and counselling together would be best?
    It's not really a psychologist's job to decide if/which medication would be appropriate, that would have to be done in combination with your GP or a psychiatrist. But they will definitely be able to help you with counselling.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-03-2016)