+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tips for administering ventolin in 1.5year old!?!

My DD recently had a hospital stay which has resulted in an Asthma management plan on an ongoing basis.

Anyway she's required to have ventolin on an as needed basis via a spacer. Any tips on administering this to her? She thrashes and pushes the spacer off her face before she's inhaled through it!

Help!?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have our 2yo on it at the moment.

I usually put it on my mouth first and pretend I'm using it and then I get grandma to do it.. Etc etc, you get the picture.

Then we all say how fun it is and that now it's his turn.

Failing that I put fireman Sam on my phone and let him watch whilst I administer.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I had this same issue with my boys when they were that age. The cold hard truth - either DH or I had to hold them with their arms pinned and keep their head in place so that they would get the full dose.
    It's not a nice thing to have to do but it gets it done. I much prefer that to the middle of the night ambulance trips with my little ones lethargic and struggling to breathe.
    Big hugs - asthma sucks!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sabochan For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The best way for my 1.5 yo is sit them on my lap so their back is resting against my chest. Tge first few times i would have to hold their arms down but normally he was nice and relaxed and i could administer it that way. If u was coming towards him with it he would then freak out

Thanks
    Reviews
    If all they need to do is breath normally with the mask on then could you do it while they were sleeping? I know it's not a long term solution but it might work in the short term?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We gave DD 18 months the spacer to play with (without the ventolin attached). We made a huge deal about how cool it is and how she is such a good girl taking her medicine. Then we say "time for your puffs" - she sits down and we count each puff as we puff it into the spacer. She has got really good at it now.
    At first when she was really sick I held her in my lap facing out with my hand on her forehead for restraint, but she has got a lot better when we let her have a bit of independence.
    In hospital we had to wrap her in a towel and hold her head down a couple of times which was quite traumatic 😢
    Hope your little one is on the mend soon, it's just horrible seeing them struggle to breathe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I forgot to add my boys are 4.5 now and have no issues having ventolin now - they also take flixotide (a preventer) twice daily through a spacer. The nurses at the hospital are always so impressed with how good they are at taking it.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There are different sorts of spacers. My grandson hated the mask over his nose and mouth, but he was happy with the spacer. Perhaps some stickers on the spacer when it is used correctly?? He was under two when he first had to use a spacer. It is something that just has to be done, so finding a way that works without too much stress is very important. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with pp, I still have to hold her down and make sure the mask doesn't come away from her face.. Pin her arms and head.
    And as horrible as it is, if they cry at least they are deeply breathing it in, just count how many breaths during the crying (ours is 6 breaths to one puff) they usually stop crying once it's all done so don't let it upset you too much.. Better than struggling with it for longer than you have to and atleast they get the full dose. Just give a cuddle after and let him/her play with it. Good luck it sucks but it has to be done and atleast you know it's been done properly xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just re read and saw that your little one is a girl sorry I said him/her I missed where you said DD X