+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone had a student midwife follow their pregnancy and birth?

Hi ladies,

I just had a phone call from the Fetal Medicine Unit who are managing my pregnancy, cue massive freak-out. It was the midwife calling to ask whether I would be interested in having a 3rd year student follow my pregnancy from my next appointment at 14 weeks through attending the birth and beyond. As my last pregnancy ended in a full-term stillbirth, they think the extra support will be beneficial. I agreed, but now I'm feeling a little apprehensive and would love to hear any feedback from other mums who have had experience with a student midwife.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I had one for my first pregnancy and to be honest I hated it. She was really pushy and very narrow minded in how she thought birth should occur. As it was my first pregnancy I was very naive and in the end found her pushiness overwhelming.

I think it would be great if you really clicked with the person. Mine was very young and I feel in hindsight as she'd never been through pregnancy herself lacked empathy. With the right person it would be great though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a student midwife who was really lovely and supportive. Could you ask if you could meet them first before you give a final decision? Extra support would likely be wonderful for you, but it would only work if you're comfortable with the student.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one and she was great. Definitely meet them first, and if you click great, if not you can always ask for someone different.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GothicBeeza For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one for my second pregnancy. She was a mature age student with four kids and was wonderful.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty22 For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one for both pregnancies and was very happy with both experiences. Both were lovely young women who were very dedicated students and offered lots of support throughout the pregnancy. I agree with a pp though - best to meet and check that you feel comfortable with them first.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to misstrouble For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone had a student midwife follow their pregnancy and birth?

I had one, she was excellent during my labour, she acted as an additional support person and I would 100% have another one. I found her on Bub Hub and she came to appointments and was available for phone calls/text messages for advice if I needed it.
    Last edited by PipersMummy; 03-03-2016 at 14:20.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi tainted, I was happy and sad to see your post. I think of you often and I'm sending you all the best for this pregnancy.

In reply to your topic I'm in SA too & I had a 3rd year follow me through my last pregnancy in 2014. It was really great and I highly recommend it. My student was amazing and the extra support was wonderful. She came to nearly every appointment and contacted me between times to see how I was going. She also visited me for several weeks after the birth. I had group practice midwife care at w&ch so they do quite a few at home visits after the birth.

There's a few things you may not like such as letting the student do the fundal height, blood pressure, baby position. I don't know if they all do it but mine had a try at most appts but the midwife always did them as well to double check. Mine also came & helped with the birth (that was ok with me). These things might not feel right for you.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing your experiences! Its great to see most of you found it to be a positive experience. I'll be meeting her (I hope its' a her!) on Monday so fingers crossed all goes well.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (05-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a student midwife for my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies, they were both absolutely wonderful.
    Now I am a student midwife and accompanying women on their journey and am loving it 😊 We really appreciate being involved in your pregnancies and labour and postpartum, and it really helps with our learning ☺️So thank you for considering her!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to foggy For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (06-03-2016)