+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    371
    Thanks
    298
    Thanked
    188
    Reviews
    5

    Default Can you fight a rent increase?

    Perhaps fight is the wrong word, but can you counter a rent increase and argue that it's excessive by presenting your case to the property manager?
    We just got notice of a $10/week increase, which doesn't seem a lot but it takes the price up beyond where we think the property is worth. The landlord does very little by way of repairs and maintenance and has still not addressed our leaking asbestos roof - it's leaking into the ceiling and you can see a damp patch of mould directly above our lounge.
    I've looked at other properties in our area and we could get an extra bedroom and garage for what he wants us to pay. We're hoping to avoid a move because we're trying to save a deposit and buy in the next 6 months or so.
    Worth a try or unlikely to get us anywhere?
    Last edited by calicocat; 02-03-2016 at 10:54.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    449
    Thanks
    204
    Thanked
    319
    Reviews
    0
    Yes you can, send other properties to your agent and also highlight that the repairs that are currently unattended too... Which state are you in... In WA rents have dropped between $30 to $80 a week depending where and what you were paying! I would find a comparable home on a nearby location and ask them for that rent or honestly just move to a cheaper home and save more

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to ttc1981 For This Useful Post:

    calicocat  (03-03-2016)

  4. #3
    SuperGranny's Avatar
    SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    sunshine coast qld
    Posts
    6,275
    Thanks
    4,715
    Thanked
    2,880
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would certainly put an objection to the increase, and show the landlord or agent your problems and the other properties in the area. I think it is the same every where, there are too many rentals available, and so tenants can really pick and choose. Good luck, marie.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

    calicocat  (03-03-2016)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,103
    Thanks
    3,366
    Thanked
    1,967
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Agreeing with the others. Just to point out, sometimes landlords aren't aware their agent is increasing the rent on their behalf until after its completed. This could just be the agent. Happened to my friend at work. She got a letter from her tenants expressing how sad they were at having to move and thanking them for being lovely landlords until this point. She was more than shocked and called her agent and put a stop to it as she didn't want to lose good tenants.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

    calicocat  (03-03-2016)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    382
    Thanks
    240
    Thanked
    264
    Reviews
    0
    Yes you can. In NSW, you can actually go to the tribunal and have the rent reduced if it's unreasonable. I vaguely remember that you can also get your rent reduced if there are repairs not done within a reasonable timeframe. If you're in NSW, check out the Department of Fair Trading website - it's all on there.

    Anyway, going to the tribunal is a bit of a PITA, but if you politely let the property manager know you're thinking about it, they might be more open to helping you. Say something like, "we like living here, but the rent increase isn't reasonable and we've got repairs that have been outstanding for ages. We don't really want to go the the tribunal - can you help us get this sorted out?"

    Also, I'm a landlord, and in my experience, property managers are often a little bit hopeless. They might not have even told the landlord about the repairs, and then told you that the landlord isn't doing anything about it. If you don't get any joy from the property manager, don't feel bad about going direct to the landlord (nicely, of course). They may just be glad you did.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cdro For This Useful Post:

    calicocat  (03-03-2016)

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,151
    Thanks
    1,346
    Thanked
    1,225
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdro View Post
    Yes you can. In NSW, you can actually go to the tribunal and have the rent reduced if it's unreasonable. I vaguely remember that you can also get your rent reduced if there are repairs not done within a reasonable timeframe. If you're in NSW, check out the Department of Fair Trading website - it's all on there.

    Anyway, going to the tribunal is a bit of a PITA, but if you politely let the property manager know you're thinking about it, they might be more open to helping you. Say something like, "we like living here, but the rent increase isn't reasonable and we've got repairs that have been outstanding for ages. We don't really want to go the the tribunal - can you help us get this sorted out?"

    Also, I'm a landlord, and in my experience, property managers are often a little bit hopeless. They might not have even told the landlord about the repairs, and then told you that the landlord isn't doing anything about it. If you don't get any joy from the property manager, don't feel bad about going direct to the landlord (nicely, of course). They may just be glad you did.
    Excellent advice and totally agree. Especially the part about property managers!

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

    calicocat  (03-03-2016),Cdro  (02-03-2016)

  12. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    866
    Thanks
    1,004
    Thanked
    616
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenBlue View Post
    Agreeing with the others. Just to point out, sometimes landlords aren't aware their agent is increasing the rent on their behalf until after its completed. This could just be the agent. Happened to my friend at work. She got a letter from her tenants expressing how sad they were at having to move and thanking them for being lovely landlords until this point. She was more than shocked and called her agent and put a stop to it as she didn't want to lose good tenants.

    Is that legal? We have a rental property in Qld and while the property manager recommends an amount for rental increases, we have to decide and sign off on the actual amount.

    FWIW, we've refused their recommendations a couple of times and told them not to increase the rent, because we didn't want to upset our good tenants. Having the property empty for just one a week in a year would cost us far more than their recommended increase of $5 a week.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 02-03-2016 at 12:48.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

    calicocat  (03-03-2016)

  14. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10,339
    Thanks
    3,255
    Thanked
    6,281
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would give it a go. They can only say no, then you know exactly where you stand.

    Moving house is a pain, and it's costly (we've lived in 5 different rentals in 6 years). If you are buying in around 6 months, it makes more sense financially to stay put.

    Good luck

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

    calicocat  (03-03-2016)

  16. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,103
    Thanks
    3,366
    Thanked
    1,967
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    Is that legal? We have a rental property in Qld and while the property manager recommends an amount for rental increases, we have to decide and sign off on the actual amount.

    FWIW, we've refused their recommendations a couple of times and told them not to increase the rent, because we didn't want to upset our good tenants. Having the property empty for just one a week in a year would cost us far more than their recommended increase of $5 a week.
    Have no idea if it's legal... Just know that it happened! Since when are property managers sticklers for the rules!?

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

    calicocat  (03-03-2016)

  18. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    14,824
    Thanks
    1,233
    Thanked
    3,961
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    Is that legal? We have a rental property in Qld and while the property manager recommends an amount for rental increases, we have to decide and sign off on the actual amount.

    FWIW, we've refused their recommendations a couple of times and told them not to increase the rent, because we didn't want to upset our good tenants. Having the property empty for just one a week in a year would cost us far more than their recommended increase of $5 a week.
    At all of the real estate offices I've worked at the landlords have to sign the rent increase form and opt whether to increase the rent by the recommended amount. The rent increase isn't put in place until the landlord has authorised it.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

    calicocat  (03-03-2016)


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Billington Street
For stationery as unique as you are! ♥ Handmade, custom designed stationery for all of life's celebrations
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!