+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am lucky enough to have been to Egypt three times. You are going to have a fantastic time. BUT it is full on.
    I would suggest at this stage with the political instability that you do not go out by yourself at night, even in the smaller cities like Aswan and Luxor. If you are travelling alone and want to do things away fron the tour group get the hotel to organise a reputalble taxi driver for you, or a guide.
    Cairo is crazy, busy and hot and polluted,but so so wonderful. Be careful crossing the road,pedestrian crossings are there for decoration ask a local for help crossing the road at the busy intersections in Cairo or just find a big group and tag on to them. The museum is amazing, as I am sure you know, youcould spend hours and hours there, but ai am a nerd.
    That Time of year will be hot, crazy hot. Like 50 dgrees hot if you head to southern Egypt, near the Sudanese border ( Abu Simbel is down that way, most tours go there ) drink lots of water, when I went in high summer i had cramps for weeks after i reteurned home from not drinking enough water.
    Take immodium, or similar just incase you eat something dodgy .
    Take the time to chat to people, generally people are keen to have a chat and are interested in where you are from.
    Have a wonderful time. I am so jealous
    Any other questions just ask x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry I can't help you with your Dubai question but when I was in Egypt i went vegetarian for my tour. Everyone but me got sick! Just a thought that helped me! Also, I packed muesli bars and little snacks which helped tide me over and give me a break from the food. It's amazing, crazy, dirty and beautiful all at the same time! I'd never go back but I'm so very fortunate to have went.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yeah, maybe it was because I'm a six foot blonde but I found the men extremely harassing and disrespectful towards me. But, it's all part of the experience!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    @witherwings, I have so many people telling me it's so dangerous etc etc. If it was that dangerous they wouldn't do tours there. Originally I was meant to be going to America which to me is just as dangerous over there.

I still have lots to prepare here like buying suit case, making sure I have suitable clothing to respect their customs and be protected from the sun, photocopy everything, arrange accomodation and currency.

Leaving mothers day. I thought mothers day last year was the best ever with a backstreet boys concert but I think this one will top the concert for sure.

I know that when I arrive I will most likely stay in my hotel as working my 5th night shift the night before I go then the day I leave being mothers day, won't be any sleep for me until I fly out that night. Thankful I have a night flight direct to Abu Dharbi so I can at least spend the whole day with kiddo because I am going to be gone for 2.5 weeks.
    It's certainly not the safest destination but tourism is the bread and butter of their economy so they go to great lengths to make it safe for tourists. I wouldn't worry at all, but just be travel-smart, which I'm sure you're totally on top of

Enjoy! Egypt is a once in a lifetime experience. Should be on everyone's bucket list and what a way to spoil yourself for Mother's Day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinachris View Post
    Oh yeah, maybe it was because I'm a six foot blonde but I found the men extremely harassing and disrespectful towards me. But, it's all part of the experience!
    My sister and I went together and we had the same problem. We are definitely not 6-foot tall blond bombshells but yea, definitely be careful if you're a woman travelling alone

6. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Tinachris  (02-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Egypt is a magical place, but it can be overwhelming with all the hawkers. Learn a few simple phrases in Arabic - "la shukran" is a good one. Means no thank you. Say that firmly and repeatedly and keep walking. Don't stop! If you keep going, they will pick another mark. And when you do find some thing you like, haggle! And research the local customs so you don't inadvertently offend. The Lonely Planet book is full of useful info.

It was 10 years ago I was there, but I never felt unsafe. It can be confronting seeing all the police with automatic shot guns, but I didn't have any issues and I am tall and blonde! I didn't get hassled as much as some other women on my tour and I think it's because I learnt some general phrases to say please, thank you etc, covered myself clothing wise (long sleeves and pants) and didn't stop to look at stalls unless I was wanting to purchase, you can't window shop there!

Drink lots of water, check your bottles are sealed properly and take hydrolyte tablets too. I would sip on both all day when we were out on tour and didn't get sick - and I don't do well in the heat. Also don't forget sunscreen, hat and cover up. Thin scarves are good (I bought a white cotton one there) as you can dampen them to cool your neck and cover your head when you go into mosques etc (the blue mosque in Cairo is breathtaking).

I had a few days in Cairo, then went on a boat from Luxor to Aswan and up to Abu Simbel. I spent 2 weeks in Egypt all up and while go back in a heartbeat. I've been fascinated with the country, pyramids etc for most of my life and to see them for real was incredible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I covered up btw long pants,shirts. Nothing low cut or short. I was very respectful considering the abuse I copped!