+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anyone have experience with Glandular Fever?

7 year old DD was really sick recently and blood tests showed a current GF infection plus a few other viruses. I'm just sure what to expect. It was about 4 weeks since she first got sick and two weeks since blood tests came back. Everything says they should take it easy and rest but she seems generally OK just quite thin as she didn't eat much for about 10 days. What did other people experience?

Thanks
    Reviews
    All I remember is that I slept for a month. Only woke to eat and toilet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was exhausted. Like I couldn't even walk down the hallway. I was 16 when I got it.
    I slept a lot. And wasn't hungry at all.
    I was sick for about 6 or so weeks over Christmas. Was the worst holidays ever!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Had this when I was in grade 12, and I ended up having two months off school. It was the most horrible thing I've ever had. Couldn't move, I think I even remember crawling around the house at some point because my body hurt that much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Anyone have experience with Glandular Fever?

I had it a few years ago, I'd been feeling run down and exhausted and sort of unwell for a few weeks and then got a secondary infection of another illness and they did a blood test when I mentioned being run down for a while. My results showed low GF results which meant it was either just leaving my system or just beginning. It was just beginning and I was sick for another month or two, tons of sleeping. It lasted ages, really kicked my ***. Try to ensure she's getting loads of rest and what you can get her to eat is healthy, maybe make some healthy smoothies to get extra vitamins in her.

Eta: not sure it's a risk with children but apparently it can lead to chronic fatigue syndrome which is why rest and getting extra vitamins is important.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 02-03-2016 at 06:40.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (02-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Dd1 had heaps of time off school and when she went back it was only part time for term. Eg. No sports just math science English.

Me I got when I was pregnant with ds2 one day I dropped dh at work. I turn off the engine to find something in my purse and the next thing I knew he was knocking on the car window. I had fallen asleep in the car and slept there the whole day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had it about 7 years ago.
    I went to the doctors completely exhausted and had felt like that for about 2-3 weeks prior.
    O would sleep for full days sometimes i just struggled to get through a day of work.
    I think it lasted about6-8 months but i had some stressful times happen in that time which the doctors said "flared"it up again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Like Tamtam I had it when I was 16 - about 2 weeks before the Xmas school holidays started.

I remember just being extremely lethargic. It was a massive effort to shower and dress myself. I spent a lot of time laying on a mattress in the lounge room sleeping and watching tv. You truly have no energy at all and feel completely drained.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had it when I was 17. I was completely exhausted for about 2 months. I didn't get out of bed at all for the first few days. I didn't want to eat at all for about 2 weeks. I was so tired that I had to choose between my performance commitments at the end of the year. My stage director wasn't happy when I pulled out. Clearly she'd never had glandular fever!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had it in high school, either year 8 or year 9. I was exhausted. I couldn't walk at all. My dad had to carry me to the toilet so I could wee. Then carry me to the shower where I'd sit on the floor. I could barely even turn my head sideways. I vomited all over myself.
    After the first 10 or so days of just being in bed, my parents would carry me to the couch for a couple of hours a day and I'd try to watch tv. But I was too exhausted.
    The exhaustion was debilitating, my body didn't work at all. My throat was killing me and my glands were so swollen my head wouldn't turn properly.
    I didn't eat at all for weeks. And every time I drank I vomited.
    When I went back to school, they called me skeletor, I was already skinny but after weeks of not eating anything I probably did look like a walking skeleton.
    I'll never forget how awful it was.
    Is there an immunisation for it now? If so, I'll immunise my kids, even if I have to pay, that's how bad it was.