+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My brother, who is now 33 has ADHD and was diagnosed around 7. My mum put him in karate and it was one of the best things for him. Not only do they burn energy, but it teaches discipline. It really helped him focus, although he was (and still is at times) medicated.

Karate is definitely worth a go IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He had his hearing tested when he was only a newborn which was that compulsory hearing testing in the hospital if i wasn't wrong.

I live with my mum and she helps me with house chores. I do most of the disciplining (or yelling rather) to DS, my mum is not too dominating in a way I look after my child but she gives advices to DS too. My partner skypes regularly with DS and no restrictions whenever he wants to talk to DS. He knows what we've been up to and is aware of this problem and when they are skype-ing, DH always asks about his behaviour.

DS teacher returned my call this morning and she said in the past few weeks he went back behaving silly again, she said there were times he was OK and obviously there were times he went off again...to sum up, it was the same kind of problem that was raised by his teacher since early days of Kindy. I will have an appointment with the school counsellor as well as she called me today asking if I could come to the school to discuss about the sensory test results.

When DS started behaving like this, I got asked a few questions from the teachers and assistant principal, whether he had attended a preschool before? Of course I said yes, but what didn't occur in my mind was that a year before DS was due to be in Kindy, we did heaps of travelling (where DH is currently living), and he probably spent half of his life last year not in preschool, and when during the time he had to go to preschool after long holidays, he had a hard time and disliked it so much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also mentioned to DS teacher that this week in particular he stuffed up his bedtime routine and was overtired after school. He had troubles sleeping on time and had a later bed time and woke up the next morning perhaps still tired. I am not jumping in to any conclusions yet. I am aware he is my priority. But the bad thing about me is that i get swayed easily, for eg when i have heard stories from DS that he was a good boy at school whether it was during library day, assembly etc, i tended to jump into the conclusion that he is fine now!! Three weeks ago DS got his merit card for reading and spelling and in that instance i thought wow he must have changed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A child with ADHD doesn't necessarily struggle academically, especially early on at school. A child can have an incredible capacity for learning, but their behaviour eventually starts to hold them back academically because they keep getting in trouble, so they lose confidence and motivation.

However, the fact that your paed has requested further assessments suggests they are considering something other/additional to adhd. So please do organise the appointment with the family psych and get full assessments.

Every kid I have worked with who has a diagnosis of any sort is sometimes 'fine' and their behaviour is 'typical', not just seems - IS. The thing is, if the times that it isn't fine/typical heavily outweigh the times it is, thats where problems can start and where targeted strategies/therapies/medication/additional assistance can help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnymum View Post
    He had his hearing tested when he was only a newborn which was that compulsory hearing testing in the hospital if i wasn't wrong.

I live with my mum and she helps me with house chores. I do most of the disciplining (or yelling rather) to DS, my mum is not too dominating in a way I look after my child but she gives advices to DS too. My partner skypes regularly with DS and no restrictions whenever he wants to talk to DS. He knows what we've been up to and is aware of this problem and when they are skype-ing, DH always asks about his behaviour.

DS teacher returned my call this morning and she said in the past few weeks he went back behaving silly again, she said there were times he was OK and obviously there were times he went off again...to sum up, it was the same kind of problem that was raised by his teacher since early days of Kindy. I will have an appointment with the school counsellor as well as she called me today asking if I could come to the school to discuss about the sensory test results.

When DS started behaving like this, I got asked a few questions from the teachers and assistant principal, whether he had attended a preschool before? Of course I said yes, but what didn't occur in my mind was that a year before DS was due to be in Kindy, we did heaps of travelling (where DH is currently living), and he probably spent half of his life last year not in preschool, and when during the time he had to go to preschool after long holidays, he had a hard time and disliked it so much!
    My brother had his hearing tested at birth too and it was normal. The Dr's told my mum that they think my brother had an undiagnosed case of mumps that caused the deafness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Consistency. Look up super nanny.

Time out does work when it's consistent and managed. You already said it doesn't work or you couldn't be bothered.

It's your job to be bothered. Mum which step of time out are you missing?

You shouldn't yell at children.

Try making cleaning up a game. Set a timer! Who finishes first gets an extra 30mins of TV or ice cream etc.

Get him to change his own clothes from pyjamas to day clothes make it a race between you and him. Same for changing out of day clothes into pyjamas.

Let him decide what he wants for little lunch and lunch have two choices for each. Explain he needs to choose within 10mins or gets nothing. Set a timer.

Make up a listening game. Where he has to quieten himself to identify 5 sounds he can hear. Traffic, birds, crickets, fridge humming etc etc.

Consistency is the key!!!! It's your job mum. Set boundaries and stick to them!! But never raise your voice in anger or frustration. If you feel this way it's better to put yourself in time out