I don't know how to start this post easily to the root of the problem but let me start with DS' profile and history:
DS is 5 and a Kindy student since this late January. Was very proud of him on the day he put on his uniform for real and marched on with the rest of his friends to Kindy class. However, as time goes by, I realise that he and I need to work on his attitude, discipline, independence, tempers and level of maturity if he wants to learn well at school.
I'm proud to have DS who has these nice characteristics and traits:
- well communicator and friendly
- funny boy
- sweet and tries to be romantic to his mama
- quick learner
- creative and has a big imagination
- has good memory (I quiz him on many things and he's so good at remembering things)
- a little boy who has lots of curiosity and questions
- always fighting for freedom of speech
However among his good traits, there are these serious problems (both at home and school):
- a little bit short tempered, cries and gets upset easily, never wants to give up on his whinges
- more than half of the time never listens to parents or adults (teachers, family, relatives, etc)
- he hears you but half of the time he disobeys no matter what the consequences are
- sweet to know at first but he could be a rude, rough and hyperactive boy after you get to play with him for a LONG time
- he has too much energy that he hardly gets tired (i.e. loves to run around etc).
- Never the one to pick a fight first, but when he feels something isn't right such as his friend snatches the toy off him or never returns the toy to him, then he would get angry and start making fists moves as if he wants to fight with him (unfortunately this makes DS look like an uneducated, naughty boy!)
-once he becomes unhappy he decides to become defiant! Both inside and outside home he doesn't hesitate to get angry and often could throw little things to us.
-most of the times hates instructions and rules such as, when I tell him to turn the volume of the ipad down, he decides to do the opposite, and many more acts like that.
- Probably gets used to 'timeouts' already (doesn't work anymore) OR I just can't be bothered with timeouts anymore
- Not so 'mature' inside or outside home and relies on me on many things such as feeding him, getting him drinks, clothing him, etc.
- Unfortunately he hasn't been getting any lessons on disciplines at home he doesn't do chores and hardly tidies up his toys, unless he decides to follow me to tidying things up because he has nothing else to do
- Consistently active boy who hates if he has nothing to do
- hates me getting angry to him and even getting angrier at me if I do so
I only have one child and don't have much experience in handling kids and I feel like I always see and learn new things from the trouble DS makes.
In the past i never acknowledged the above problems of DS and believe kids would eventually overcome it as they grow older. However I've finally come to a realisation that DS hasn't really changed since I noticed the his bad behaviours since he was a toddler.
I've had many people telling me that consistency is the key, but no matter how hard I try (how often I get angry, repetitively explain and yell at him too) I feel that things still haven't worked for us.
I'd like to get straight to the root of the problem but I just can't read a little child's mind
I need help!