+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    For anyone that's gone over and above the magical '40 week' mark, what did you do to help you feel better/get your mind off things?

DS was born at 41+2 (spontaneous labor) and I was quite depressed even before I got to 40 weeks, I didn't want to go over and naively thought I could induce labor through various popular natural 'methods'. None of which worked for me.

Although i'm in a much better head space this time, my due date is looming and I'm worried anxiety is setting in. Probably enhanced by the fact I am hoping for a VBAC and don't want to feel pressure to intervene etc. My OB is supportive and happy for me to go 14 days over, but I'm hoping like hell it doesn't come to that.

I don't want to hear all the home remedies - just want to know how you kept your mind off things and how to deal with all the comments and suggestions from well meaning friends, relatives and strangers (rather than snapping/wanting to punch them 😂).

I am doing all I can to encourage labor but I understand it's not up to me, it's up to my baby!

Thank you!
    Don't answer your phone or reply to SMSs, Facebook posts etc! I found that the hardest part of going over ... People annoying me to find out if baby had come (obviously I would have made an announcement! Sheesh, what is with people?).

I tried going for long walks.. Also having movie/TV series marathons.. Mind you these were things I did before I had my first son.. It would be harder once you already have a child that needs attention. I didn't cope well with going over 2nd time around, and had quite an early induction (40+4) but I had AWFUL pelvic instability from 16 weeks onwards and i was in agony. I tried to just focus on other things, I had a day spa treatment, I went out a lot to cafes..

Good luck! I hope you don't have to wait too long!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Don't answer your phone or reply to SMSs, Facebook posts etc! I found that the hardest part of going over ... People annoying me to find out if baby had come (obviously I would have made an announcement! Sheesh, what is with people?).

I tried going for long walks.. Also having movie/TV series marathons.. Mind you these were things I did before I had my first son.. It would be harder once you already have a child that needs attention. I didn't cope well with going over 2nd time around, and had quite an early induction (40+4) but I had AWFUL pelvic instability from 16 weeks onwards and i was in agony. I tried to just focus on other things, I had a day spa treatment, I went out a lot to cafes..

Good luck! I hope you don't have to wait too long!
    😂 oh gosh my SIL sent me a 'no baby yet?' Text today. Exactly my thoughts, wtf would I not tell her if I had had the baby?! The messages and comments are most annoying. I'd probably be fine if it wasn't for those. Really must let it wash over me.

I've just made dinner plans with friends for DH birthday, I'll be 40+2.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I watched the whole Game of Thrones series (all 5 seasons). So many people texted me asking where the baby was. Most of the time I just ignored them, especially since I went to 43 weeks. I had a vbac too - so I was determined not to be induced.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spotdog For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (01-03-2016),witherwings  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    😂 oh gosh my SIL sent me a 'no baby yet?' Text today. Exactly my thoughts, wtf would I not tell her if I had had the baby?! The messages and comments are most annoying. I'd probably be fine if it wasn't for those. Really must let it wash over me.

I've just made dinner plans with friends for DH birthday, I'll be 40+2.
    You should respond with "oh yes I forgot to tell you, I had the baby last week!"
    You could just ask your family and close friends to refrain from asking you until you've made the announcement and just explain that it adds unnecessary stress. I don't think they would take it the wrong way..

Then maybe also put your Facebook page on hold if you have the sort of Facebook friends who post on your wall asking when baby is coming..

And making plans for after the due date is a great idea! Something to look forward to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotdog View Post
    I watched the whole Game of Thrones series (all 5 seasons). So many people texted me asking where the baby was. Most of the time I just ignored them, especially since I went to 43 weeks. I had a vbac too - so I was determined not to be induced.
    Oh wow that is such a good way to pass the time! I would be saying to my belly "stay inside my belly, baby! I have to watch all 10 episodes of this season before you are born!"

On an aside... GoT season 6 is just around the corner!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotdog View Post
    Oh wow 43 weeks well done you!! Did you have to fight for that? I haven't really gone there with my OB yet, I was kind of hoping not to have to. But I think the question will arise at tomorrow appointment as she did say we'd discuss the risks & benefits of induction, and she was happy to go to 14 days over. She's pretty open as far as OBs go but not sure on how far I can push it.

I can't stand GOT! I think I must be like the only person on the planet 😂. My hubby loves it. But maybe I need to make friends with the TV again if need be. I still have a few things to clean and was going to do a painting for the lounge room and nursery so that should keep me physically busy at least.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Make plans for every day. With all my girls. Whenever I've booked a hair cut or facial I've been in hospy and had to cancel.

Good luck xoxo

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (01-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like a couple of PP's, I just never put much weight on The Due Date. A full term baby is anywhere from 38-42 weeks. Rather than a date, I did a time frame; so for my last baby I was due August 8th- so I expected baby to come in the first half of August. That's what I told everyone too, if they pushed for a date I would tell them that 'my due date is Aug 8 so anywhere around the first half of August baby will come', and I also reminded them that my other bubs were late so we can expect this one late as well. Doing that took a bit of the pressure off as family and friends (and myself!) weren't expecting the baby any time before it's due date.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (01-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids were all overdue.
    #1 induced 10 days late
    #2 induced 11 days late
    #3 spontaneous 6 days late
    #4 induced 8 days late

I just used that time to really lay down and feel the movements etc. I knew how dearly I would miss it once they were out. I tried to see everything with a silver lining and keep myself in a positive headspace. And reminded myself that it's not forever. They *will* come eventually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can completely relate & sympathise! I just had my DS on Saturday - he was 8 days overdue & it was a VBAC so I was starting to get anxious about going to far over and not being able to be induced etc.

I just tried to make plans each day and set aside some time to rest & do activities with my DD.

It was so frustrating though! With my daughter I had an elective c-section booked due to a medical condition but my water broke the day before the scheduled c-section at 38+4 so I was sure I would be early again.

Best of luck with your VBAC - happy to answer any questions you might have about that too or share my experience