+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Coping with going overdue

For anyone that's gone over and above the magical '40 week' mark, what did you do to help you feel better/get your mind off things?

DS was born at 41+2 (spontaneous labor) and I was quite depressed even before I got to 40 weeks, I didn't want to go over and naively thought I could induce labor through various popular natural 'methods'. None of which worked for me.

Although i'm in a much better head space this time, my due date is looming and I'm worried anxiety is setting in. Probably enhanced by the fact I am hoping for a VBAC and don't want to feel pressure to intervene etc. My OB is supportive and happy for me to go 14 days over, but I'm hoping like hell it doesn't come to that.

I don't want to hear all the home remedies - just want to know how you kept your mind off things and how to deal with all the comments and suggestions from well meaning friends, relatives and strangers (rather than snapping/wanting to punch them 😂).

I am doing all I can to encourage labor but I understand it's not up to me, it's up to my baby!

Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Coping with going overdue

I was induced at 40+5. I had the added bonus that my ob was on leave until I was 40+3, so I was kinda hoping bub would stay put.

I had done a hypnobirthing course, so spent my days trying to relax, listening to birthing affirmations, and resting on the couch watching movies.
    Last edited by Lil Smurfy; 29-02-2016 at 22:20.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Smurfy For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine were both a bit over due - DD1 at 41 weeks and DD2 at 40+4. I remember thinking that every twinge was the start of labor - it drove me nuts!

In hindsight, I think I would have marked 42 weeks on the calendar and just kept telling myself that the baby was not coming until then. Then if it comes before then (and chances are it will), it's a bonus.

Other than that, just keep as busy as you can (if you're not feeling like a whale stuck on the couch! ) Do whatever you really enjoy - go out for coffee with friends, watch your favourite movies, talk to weird strangers on internet parenting forums....

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cdro For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (29-02-2016),witherwings  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdro View Post
    Mine were both a bit over due - DD1 at 41 weeks and DD2 at 40+4. I remember thinking that every twinge was the start of labor - it drove me nuts!

In hindsight, I think I would have marked 42 weeks on the calendar and just kept telling myself that the baby was not coming until then. Then if it comes before then (and chances are it will), it's a bonus.

Other than that, just keep as busy as you can (if you're not feeling like a whale stuck on the couch! ) Do whatever you really enjoy - go out for coffee with friends, watch your favourite movies, talk to weird strangers on internet parenting forums....
    Thanks I'm not good at lounging around so been keeping pretty busy, I'm still very active so thankful for that. Most of my friends are working mums so it's actually pretty hard to catch up without planning well ahead. Maybe I should make plans for next week...

Lol talking to strangers on Internet forums 😂😂 - pretty much!

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    From the start I never expected ds to come at 40 weeks - so that helped a lot. It's just an average. He came at 41+1. The week he was due I spent trying to stay cool in 40C heat and tried to get motivated to read Birth Skills. I think I spent a lot of time on bh!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not sure if I am going to be helpful but my 1st was going to be an 'overdue' baby. I had a lot of anxiety in my first pregnancy I wanted him out as I was worried something would happen if he went over (I was induced a day or two before the official due date).

I was worried from full term (i.e. 37 weeks).

I am determined to be more relaxed this time - so far I have had a lot less anxiety.

Maybe every morning take a walk (or evening - whichever you prefer). Bake/cook 1 thing a day for 'after baby' to freeze. I think you are doing acupuncture - maybe do something for yourself every day (massage one day, mani/pedi etc etc). Just to fill your day with something so your brain quietens a little.

Regarding the strangers - tell them you have 3 months left to go lol.

Its hard. I know I will probably be in your shoes in 6 weeks.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Oh that's what I did! Baked lactation biscuits and put some uncooked dough in the freezer. It came in handy in the first couple of weeks after birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I'm not sure if I am going to be helpful but my 1st was going to be an 'overdue' baby. I had a lot of anxiety in my first pregnancy I wanted him out as I was worried something would happen if he went over (I was induced a day or two before the official due date).

I was worried from full term (i.e. 37 weeks).

I am determined to be more relaxed this time - so far I have had a lot less anxiety.

Maybe every morning take a walk (or evening - whichever you prefer). Bake/cook 1 thing a day for 'after baby' to freeze. I think you are doing acupuncture - maybe do something for yourself every day (massage one day, mani/pedi etc etc). Just to fill your day with something so your brain quietens a little.

Regarding the strangers - tell them you have 3 months left to go lol.

Its hard. I know I will probably be in your shoes in 6 weeks.
    Thanks I am walking and doing yoga everyday so I do think I need to keep doing this, the yoga especially is helping mentally to calm me etc and I do try a bit of meditation/hypno most days when I get the chance. My freezer is almost full already 😂. Have Acu Thursday and will do another if I have to, going over becomes expensive!

I'll be seeing my OB on Wednesday she did offer to do a stretch & sweep but I'm a bit anti-intervention of any kind. I might consider it if I get to 41 wks. I will ask her to check to see if anything appears to be happening with my cervix so I at least have some idea. I never had any warning before labor began with DS so I am completely clueless as to where I am at. I feel like a ticking time bomb!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Oh that's what I did! Baked lactation biscuits and put some uncooked dough in the freezer. It came in handy in the first couple of weeks after birth.
    I did that last week! Started eating them already though 😂. Haven't managed to get any colostrum yet but haven't tried very hard either...

Will need to bake some more 'regular' biscuits though, DH has found the stash...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's hard, I totally relate!

DD was 41+4 and by then I was well and truly over it. This time round I'm seriously thinking about asking to be induced between 40-41 weeks, I understand the risks etc but the logistics in us being able to organise care for DD and my DHs time off work is tricky to say the least. I actually think I'm feeling more anxious about that than the birth itself!

At the moment (I'm 38 weeks) I'm trying to fill in the days with just enough activity to get me out the house and not dwell on things, but at the same time trying not to exhaust myself. Trips to the library, catching up with other friends who don't work or work p/t, and the usual personal stuff like waxing, pedi, hair, etc... seems to be helping keep the anxiety at bay. Also making sure I spend good quality time with DD helps, talking about what babies need etc.