+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 18 month old behaviour

My 18 month olds behaviour has been awful the past month. CONSTANT screaming, full-on tantrums, screaming at everyone to "go away" and constant hitting. She especially hits me. I have tried ignoring it- she keeps hitting until she gets a reaction, time out- she just comes out and hits me again. She hits her sister and pulls her hair for no reason. Is this normal? Any tips? My first daughter was nothing like this!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is my DD currently at 2.5. She doesn't do the constant hitting though. She had started but every time I told her it made me very sad and then I moved away from her. We talked about hurting people and making them sad and saying sorry which she generally is pretty good at now. Tbh I think it's kind of normal toddler behaviour unfortunately :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try giving her a cuddle instead of time out. What is an 18 month baby going to learn about time out?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Id put a big emphasis on 'nice touching' and give lots pf praise when she is being gentle.
    Try and encourage the good rather than punish the bad, she is only a baby

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Homeschooling4  (01-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    its normal. siblings get jealous on one another. i'd always say, "gentle, be gentle''.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel for you! My daughter was just the same at that age. She is 23 months now and coming out of it (thank god!) She is still very strong willed though. My oldest was also nothing like this, it is so exhausting!

We were just always really consistent with our response to her. She didn't get second chances with hitting, biting etc as we had a newbie when she was 20 months and she needed to know it was not going to be tolerated (she did try to lash out at the baby a couple of times). And a whole heap of positive praise when she was playing nicely. It seemed fruitless for a while we are getting there though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This has been my life the last few months, ds is 23 mths and just coming out of it (i hope)
    Giving him a cuddle during a meltdown would just escalate the situation so I would just have to walk away until he calmed down then once he was finished he would get up and continue doing what he was originally doing or sit and eat the food he was given which caused the tantrum.
    It is a hard time to deal with them lots of deep breathing and the odd glass of wine helped me!
    Unfortunately it is just the age

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh I have tried the cuddling but she just fights me and throws herself to the ground or hits me again. I do the whole "gentle touching" with her hand and show her I am sad but doesn't work either. Most of the time I just try and ignore her or distract her with something but yeh she is pretty bad. Glad to hear it sounds normal 😁