+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Head lice AHHHHHHH

DD has had head lice nearly 10 times in the last 4 months.

I finally got rid of them and then once she started school after the holidays bang, got them again.

Ive tried pretty much everything on the chemist shelf to get rid of them.

Ive even sprayed her hair everyday with tea tree oil and water as a preventative!!

I'm so frustrated. I'm just about ready to get her hair cut short!!! I just shaved DS's head and bang...no head lice!!!!

AHHHHHH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    I find the very best way to keep them out of hair is to use a metal fine tooth comb every single time you wash DD's hair while you're shampooing.

I generally find all shampoos, treatments etc next to useless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It must be really annoying. I fear that myself.

Good luck. I've heard KP24 is good.
    And head lice love clean hair.
    Hate eucalyptus scent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    I find the very best way to keep them out of hair is to use a metal fine tooth comb every single time you wash DD's hair while you're shampooing.

I generally find all shampoos, treatments etc next to useless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second KP24. I went looking through medical journals etc. a few years ago when we first had a problem with lice...turned out that at the time there were 2 (maybe 1?) chemicals that actually have good evidence behind them, and a pretty decent efficacy. Most of the others are demonstrably useless or lack evidence. On that basis, I chose KP24, as it was the only one I could find in my chemist with something actually effective in it. Not sure what the situation is now, but we've found KP24 to be good. Multiple treatments, then regular nit-combing.

Good luck, it's so frustrating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Op theres no preventitive out there, its a load of hog wash. To be free, as pp said, you have to comb thru every day with a metal lice breaker comb. Are you getting all the eggs out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only product that has truly got rid of them in one application is Licener. Hard to find at chemist unless you are in S.A. but you can order online. This stuff really works. My daughter has curly thick waist length hair and this is the only product I will buy now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definetly the best thing to do is comb everyday with conditioner. My dd kept getting them i took her someone to get them all out as she would sit still long enough for me.
    I spray stuff in her hair every morning and keep her hair up for school. I also change pillow cases everyday and rotate school hats

Thanks
    Reviews
    10 times in 4 months is either very, very unlucky, or, you're not getting rid of all the eggs and the lifecycle is just starting all over again each time.
    Unfortunately I find the best thing is to manually pick through their hair to find all the eggs. Daily for a week, then 2nd daily for a couple of times, then twice a week for an extra week or two.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is going to sound weird, but try Listerine. When my DD gets lice I spray Listerine on her head, don't get it near eyes, pile her hair on top of her head, then she watches a movie. I would then get out the conditioner and comb any lice/eggs out. Repeat every couple of days. Works a treat. I've never gotten out a live louse, they're always dead. Now days, I don't even comb the dead lice out. I just get her to wash and condition her hair in the shower and they all wash out. I think the Listerine breaks down the glue. Easiest method I've ever found (and really cheap).

Also, let the school know. My dd's school sends a note to each student in the class when there is a report of head lice - that way parents hopefully check the kids hair and treat if necessary.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Life is Good For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (29-02-2016)