+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tagentk View Post
    Hi guys
    Anyone on this thread in Perth? And have any views on Public v Private @ Joondalup?

Thanks

Tagentk, we went public at Joondalup (in June) and couldn't fault them on a thing!

The antenatal clinic was fine. We saw a different dr or midwife each time but that was alright. We're pretty relaxed people and all our medical records were there so we didn't stress about that. It gets pretty busy so there was sometimes a small wait (longest we had was about 50 minutes, average was about 30). We had a couple of small scares along the pregnancy journey (where Bub didn't seem to be moving as much) and our concerned calls were never any bother at all. Both times they were more than happy to get us in to the hospital and did ultrasounds and monitoring to make sure everything was OK. Once was on a public holiday and even then we were well looked after and the wait wasn't too long.

Birthing side...
    Midwives were amazing. Ended up having an emergency C and our little one went into the special care nursery for a few days. Every one of the drs, nurses and midwives were lovely. We were lucky enough to end up with a private room too which isn't common in the public system. If you're prepared for the possibility of sharing a room and are ok with that, public was great. Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions. More than happy to help.

Congratulations on your exciting news!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps @postie
    And congratulations on your bundle
    Being a SOR girl most of my life I don't really know Joondalup that well.. so been second guessing myself.
    And I don't think I will have an issue with shared rooms (Heck DH & I still stay in share dorms at backpackers sometimes when we travel LOL)
    And thank for the offer, will do

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Private or public?

I went private with #1 and am doing the same with #2. I wouldn't even consider going public to be honest.
    The care I have had in comparison to others I know is outstanding.
    I had a planned c-section with #1 (only last minute planned due to lateness etc) and my experience was fantastic. I was in hospital for 6 days with daily visits by my ob and DS had daily visits by the paediatrician. The nurses were amazing, facilities great etc.
    My SIL had an emergency Caesar and was sent home the next day in pain, with first baby. Her milk hadn't arrived yet so she had no clue with feeding and she needed her mum to come and stay to care for her and baby.
    When I left hospital I was needing very little Panadol and I was able to manage as I had nurses to assist in the early days.

I'm only 13 weeks now and have already seen my ob 3 times with 3 scans. I've had 2 losses this year so I've been with my ob through that and the pregnancy and birth of my son. You just don't get that one on one care in public.
    Last edited by Fauvette; 15-10-2016 at 05:25.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fauvette For This Useful Post:

Chyna  (15-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fauvette View Post
    I went private with #1 and am doing the same with #2. I wouldn't even consider going public to be honest.
    The care I have had in comparison to others I know is outstanding.
    I had a planned c-section with #1 (only last minute planned due to lateness etc) and my experience was fantastic. I was in hospital for 6 days with daily visits by my ob and DS had daily visits by the paediatrician. The nurses were amazing, facilities great etc.
    My SIL had an emergency Caesar and was sent home the next day in pain, with first baby. Her milk hadn't arrived yet so she had no clue with feeding and she needed her mum to come and stay to care for her and baby.
    When I left hospital I was needing very little Panadol and I was able to manage as I had nurses to assist in the early days.

I'm only 13 weeks now and have already seen my ob 3 times with 3 scans. I've had 2 losses this year so I've been with my ob through that and the pregnancy and birth of my son. You just don't get that one on one care in public.
    Thanks honey have decided on private. Am 33wks now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would love input from ladies in Melbourne. Would love to hear about private vs public in Melb, although I think I am 99% sure of wanting to go private. I am 9 weeks now.

I have PHI with obstetrics cover and I think I am leaning towards private so I don't have to waiting for hours for appointments and also so I could also have a say on who/where I deliver. I would also prefer a private room I think! But i have no idea which hospital and who and where to begin!! Anyhow if any of you lovely people have had a good experience with your obs and hospital, could you kindly PM me and let me know?

Also if I had equally raving reviews about a male + female Obs I think I would lean towards female but if not, then if I found a male Obs that I felt comfortable with that could possibly be ok too. And then the cost varies so much too!! Is there someone who is firstly competent, great bedside manner, somewhere medium cost that isn't going to push their agendas onto me but will involve me in the decision making process.. can I have my cake and eat it too?! haha. I'm not sure that I like what I hear about my local public hospital, and haven't heard much about the local private hospital so that also opens a big can of worms as there are lot of options in Melbourne! We are in SE Melb but wouldn't necessarily exclude the city/inner city ones if that meant potentially better care/experience. I'm just learning now about the different levels of care they can provide to mum/baby and just wondering how to factor that into the whole decision... and well it also depends on me being able to be accepted by an Obs too!!