Private or public? | Page 3 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went public with my DD and saw the same OB each appt, without being a high risk pregnancy.

I was also able to put her in the nursery at night if needed and have help with feeds etc.

Yes you are in and out quicker than private hospitals but I for one was keen to get home to my own environment and routine. I honestly couldn't see the justification of paying that much out of pocket to go private.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think its worth researching the public/private hospitals in your area.

My private hospital helped loads with feeding (including BF classes and a LC), took bub to the nursery as he did not stop crying/feeding.

Some public hospitals have more assistance than others post birth. Some have private rooms. Some are shared. So, really its a personal decision.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Vida  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Private or public?

It's nice having your own room but that's definitely not the reason I went private. I was scared of getting poor care in public. Maybe that's just naive of me to think, but with horror stories I had heard, I didn't want my experience to be someone else's cautionary tale.

For example.. One of my clients lives near my home. He presented at our local hospital with a heart attack, but didn't realise it at the time - he was just very very unwell. They didn't check him properly to determine that was what was happening to him and they sent him home!

The next morning his son drove him across town to another hospital and they immediately recognised that he was having a heart attack. The local hospital here didn't even give him aspirin.

In saying that, the same public hospital was great for my friend who birthed both her sons there.

At this very same hospital, I had an appendectomy and while everything was fine with the surgery, I hated my ER experience and also the check up experience following the surgery. It was absolutely awful.

Once I'd had the private hospital and obstetrician, I didn't want to change because it was all such a great experience and I wanted to replicate that experience rather than risk the unknown.

I think if you can afford it, and you value the continuity of care and being able to choose your doctor and being able to contact that person any time of day with any concern you have, then it's worth it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Vida  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I went private and I'm very pleased I did. I ended up with a high risk pregnancy and my ob was amazing. At 16 weeks I was rushed to the public hospital in an ambulance. Despite losing 2.5litres of blood I was left in the ER without an ob review for 2 hours - convinced I had lost my baby. When I finally got to a ward I was basically ignored. Took 2 days to get the blood transfusions I needed. I was in tears on the 3rd day when they said I had to go home.

I was home for 3 hours before I lost another 2 litres. This time DH took me to the private hospital. They were happy to scan me whenever I needed reassurance, blood transfusions happened when needed, care was great (sometimes just a shoulder to cry on) and I was never under any pressure to leave. I ended up being in and out of the place for my whole 2nd trimester. I would ring up, say I was bleeding, by the time I got to the hospital I had a room ready etc.

When DD amazingly made it the care was fantastic. With my experience I wouldn't go public, but thankfully most people don't have my experience.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Vida  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All depends on where you live really. For me i would not go public locally as the main public hospital really is subpar to private. I was a high risk patient with my daughter so the same ob was great, he is also a high risk ob who takes patients who need urgent.care or early.prems to the public so if need be still covered otherwise its luck of the drawer which junior oncall you see. I saw the same midwife who worked with ob at all appointments for the whole pregnancy and she cared for me the day dd was born. This time again am going private as nothing has improved in the public hospital and know through colleagues about women having a high level of unnecessary treatment as ob's are junior and untrained and not up to date with current knowledge and training. Also heard about mortalities due to midwife neglect that horrified me and was confirmed by friends who work there as middies who were all saddened by the events。
    If the care was better and services i would have happily considered looking at public but not when.only have 1 option and that is it。

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wobblermummy For This Useful Post:

Vida  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first through private and for me it was just not worth the out of pockets. We opted go public with all our others and have had no issues with the care received. I amdue soon with my 5th and this time around have Gestational Diabetes. My hospital (Mater Brisbane) has been sensational with my care and he cringe at the thought of the extra expense I would of had if private and seei g Dieticians, Diabetes Educators, Endocrinologists and all the extra scans.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also the only time I have ever shared a room was with baby #4 and it was only with 1 person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I went private with nr 1 - was about $7,000 out of pocket all up.
    Medical and pastoral care was awesome - spacious own room with bar fridge, double bed, own ensuite, stayed 5 nights, midwives helped with every feed if I wanted.

Went public wih nr 2 purely for cost reasons - was probably only about $500 put of pocket all up (early scans etc). Medical care was good however pastoral care and facilities were crap. Stayed 2/3 night officially (csec) in a room (by myself - a positive), hubby couldn't stay, air conditioning didn't work. Care from midwives was absolute crap. Couldn't get any help with feeding, no one asked how I was going etc etc. lack of funding probably pid a part.

Glad I went private with my first - gave me enough background knowledge to enable me to cope (just) with my shoddy public experience. If I went public both times I dare say breastfeeding would have gone down the toilet within the first week.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Vida  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Private or public?

Quote Originally Posted by Vida View Post
    Hey everyone, I'd love to hear your thoughts on private vs public hospitals. I just found out I'm pregnant and even though I had private in mind (given that I already pay for PHI) but heard a few people saying it can be a waste of money given that public hospitals can be quite good too. What was your experience like? Thanks!
    Hi!! I think it is definitely a personal preference. When I was pregnant with my first I started seeing a private OBGYN and then found out his management fees were $4000, plus then each visit $100 - I didn't mind each visit as I got back roughly $70, however the management fee I was going to get back about $200 🙄

I found another OBGYN who's fees were a lot better, and I was full steam ahead to stay with her UNTIL I was accepted into Mater Public Hospital (Brisbane), basically you are on a waiting list for public cause free so super popular. I was in a midwife care group, which was fine, I saw the midwife every 4 weeks (closer once bigger etc) and they check heart beat and measured my belly, but no scans or anything exciting. I was fine with all this (as I didn't really know anything different.)

When I came to the labour, my waters broke on the Thursday night and I went into the hospital on Friday morning - the midwife on sent me home, I came back sat morning and was sent home again (I believe because my assigned midwife was on her days off and the others wanted to wait for her, however this is not the process they are meant to follow)
    Finally I was induced on the Sunday morning, and had our son Sunday afternoon. As I had an epidural I had to stay in the hospital for 3days and I have to share a room, with a very noisy couple, the husband stayed here all night long (I don't know how as was out of visiting hours) and was horrible.

I have private health cover so have vowed I will never go public again. I am currently pregnant with my second and have found an amazing private OBGYN, and he has assure me that nothing like he above will happen again - the problem was with my waters broken for so long the baby was sitting my my cervix with no fluid around him, and this can cause infection or worse, still birth!! So we were very lucky.
    And when i have had the baby I will be in a private room, our PH covers anything over $500 for hospital stay so if I'm in the 3 days or 3 weeks I will only pay $500.

I figured if we've got the cover then I'm using, I don't pay thousands a year not to use it. And to be honest after my first experience I just don't want to use public.

Not everywhere is like this though, public and private systems are different state to state, so keep doing your research and you head will tell you what the right decision is for you :-)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rlmcnally87 For This Useful Post:

Vida  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loved going private for my first two. Low risk pregnancies quick labours, i loved my OB. With my third, due to high risk, i went to RPA, with my OB. I had private hospital cover only by then, so i paid for my OB but also got a private bed, which was great as i was there for a few weeks. One thing that didnt occur to me until i needed it with my third was the importance of having full blown emergency hospital services, plus special care nursery etc. If i had needed that with the first two, it wasnt available at the private hospital and valuable time could be lost in transit time.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Vida  (04-03-2016)