+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsA2B View Post
    I appreciate what you're saying, and of course as his parent that's your choice to make... In hindsight my original post was a bit judgey, apologies for that.

However, I do think that no matter how mature and responsible an 8 year old is, they still lack the decision making, judgement and consequence evaluation of an older (12/13 year old) child and so while they make not intentionally do something silly or dangerous, they still may unintentionally do so.

. . .

But you are right, ultimately it is about risk evaluation.

Thanks for the apology, I did read it as a bit judgey, but hey, it's okay, we're all different! I also didn't mean for my reply to seem 'snippy' at all, so if it came across that way, I'm sorry as well.

But this is exactly why I took the younger boys with me. I trusted him enough to be on his own, but with his younger brothers around, there's no way in hell I'd have left the house

It all comes down to the child and the situation as well, I'm not in the habit of leaving any of them home alone, but sometimes, I feel okay with it depending on the circumstances, y'know?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

MrsA2B  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No not at 5am when they are asleep. It takes 14 mins (even less) for a house fire to potentially cause death - I would always imagine the worst case scenario.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashfirst For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashfirst View Post
    No not at 5am when they are asleep. It takes 14 mins (even less) for a house fire to potentially cause death - I would always imagine the worst case scenario.
    But that could happen while you're sleeping at 5am as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Of course, but as an adult we have the sense of mind to grab the kids, the 13yo would probably just want to get out of the house and wouldn't have the presence of mind to get the 6yo. IMO anyway..

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lulupetal For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (29-02-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    depends entirely on the maturity of the 13 year old, my sister was babysitting like 3 kids by 15

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would do it aswell !

Our 11 almost 12 year old and 1o year old stayed home for a few hours alone on the weekend ... they pegged washing out, had showers and washed their dishes ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lulupetal View Post
    Of course, but as an adult we have the sense of mind to grab the kids, the 13yo would probably just want to get out of the house and wouldn't have the presence of mind to get the 6yo. IMO anyway..
    I don't agree. Kids often surprise us with their sense and compassion.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (29-02-2016),cheeeeesecake  (29-02-2016),Ngaiz  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    What? Why not? My sister left home at 16. That seems a little over protective?

I regularly let my 10 year old stay home for an hour or so. Every precaution taken.
    Cos apparently she doesn't want to stress the poor darlings out. Btw this is a woman who doesn't have them doing any chores including finding their own clothes to wear. She still chooses their outfits when they have to go out. She is extremely controlling. She even dumbs her husband down. I feel sorry for those kids.
    Last edited by GlitterFarts; 29-02-2016 at 21:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Huh? I was talking about going to the gym for an hour at 5am.

I get that, maybe i wasn't clear? I was thinking that if it were me id try exhaust all other options first. Other times of day etc.

But then, i am one who fuels up when i have df/friends/mum with me, or no kids...or...i take them with me, and i still supervise my almost 5yo outside in our fully secured yard. so maybe I'm a bit over the top.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashfirst View Post
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    In my house, I'm a very light sleeper and am very attuned to kids stirring, noises etc. I will always wake. My three teens on the other hand could sleep through the house exploding.

In my mind the time of day here is the biggest problem issue. I know my teens are pretty well guaranteed to stay asleep, perfectly oblivious to anything going on around them. At one stage I had a 6 and 13 year old. No way would I have ever left the 6 year old with the 13 year old at 5 am. The 6 year old would have woken around 5.30 am and the 13 year old would have slept through to well after 7am. Actually, it would have been the equivalent of leaving the 6 year old home alone.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 29-02-2016 at 22:48.