+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a 12.5yo and a 4.5yo (and 10yo). I leave my DS home with DD on a regular basis for up to a couple hrs, and I have absolutely no qualms about it. She is mature and responsible, knows how to use a phone and has been taught what to do if there's an emergency (ie we have done fire drills ).
    My older 2 are home alone from 3- 6pm on my work days. They eat, do some chores, and usually get dinner started. They have been doing it for nearly a year and no problems.
    Kids won't learn independence and responsibility until they are allowed some...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Jeez my SIL won't even leave her 16 year old & 13 year old kids alone for 10 mins let alone leave the house without them. lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD had a friend at school who would walk home with her sister (about 5 or 6 blocks through the neighbourhood) and they'd be alone until the parents got home at around 5pm. The girls were 8 and 6.

I've only just allowed DD11 (year 7) house keys and 1 day every week-fortnight she rides her bike to school (10 mins). I still get her to msg when she arrives.

I couldn't leave DD6 or DS5 alone with her- I know they'd make life hell for her and it would all end in tears! Maybe in another couple of years though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Would you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    Jeez my SIL won't even leave her 16 year old & 13 year old kids alone for 10 mins let alone leave the house without them. lol.
    What? Why not? My sister left home at 16. That seems a little over protective?

I regularly let my 10 year old stay home for an hour or so. Every precaution taken.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also have no problems leaving my (almost) 12yr old at home, she has her own set of house keys. We have have a procedure/rules for everything, and she is always fine, I have meals ready or prepped to go, so she feeds herself. It's just that I wouldn't leave my younger one with her.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    NO NO NO!!! Absolutely anything can happen so very quickly, and I don't believe a 13 year old has the maturity to be able to cope with a dangerous situation or medical emergency.

I won't even leave our 5 year old son with my husband's two daughters who are 22 and 19 - they are totally untrustworthy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    Because I afforded him the trust to stay home on his own (we live in a quiet area), I gave him the rules, rang my Husband and told him what was happening, and told him to ring my phone, which I left with my son, at the half way mark and see how he was doing. He was tired and feeling unwell (just a cold) and didn't want to come at sit outside in the cold for an hour whilst I took 9yo DD to swimming. I took the 6yo and the 4yo with me.

I was staying home alone by myself when I was 8yo, for long stretches of time as my mother worked evenings in a chalet doing bar/wait work. I would cook myself dinner, watch tv, bake a snack for when my mum got home, and go to bed. I am raising my children to be responsible and independent and to show them that I trust them.

He was perfectly fine when I returned home (I was only a 4min drive down the road), he was still happily playing minecraft and watching cartoons. I appreciate that not everyone would do some of the things that I do with my children, and that's okay, but I would never knowingly place them at risk of anything. And that's just it, isn't it? Risk evaluation, and everyone's is different
    I appreciate what you're saying, and of course as his parent that's your choice to make... In hindsight my original post was a bit judgey, apologies for that.

However, I do think that no matter how mature and responsible an 8 year old is, they still lack the decision making, judgement and consequence evaluation of an older (12/13 year old) child and so while they make not intentionally do something silly or dangerous, they still may unintentionally do so.

I was also left alone for longish stretches of time (with my older sisters and without them) around the same age, and I got scared sometimes and did silly things sometimes... and my mum probably had no idea because she wasn't there.

But you are right, ultimately it is about risk evaluation.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    On face value (as in no relevant other information about the relationship between the two/behaviour), I absolutely would.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We (as a whole society) are obviously raising less responsible and sensible children these days if so many feel a 13 year old can't be trusted to care for a 6 year old for 1-2 hours.

I took a first aid and CPR course at 12, it was a course aimed at teenagers for babysitting. Like I said earlier, the carbon monoxide alarm went off when I was babysitting a toddler and preschooler and I immediately grabbed both of them and ran to a neighbor for help. My cousin has taken first aid and CPR courses and I definitely feel she's more sensible with my 2 year old DS than my own parents, even last year at 13 I felt that way.

Either we're raising children to be less sensible or we as a society need to lighten up.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (29-02-2016),BabyG4  (29-02-2016),Barnaby  (29-02-2016),Elijahs Mum  (29-02-2016),FearlessLeader  (29-02-2016),hopeful1986  (01-03-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (29-02-2016),rainbow road  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on the children. At 13 I was more than capable and responsible enough to look after a 6 year old. Especially just for an hour or so. I'd imagine at 5am kids that age would still be asleep in a locked house?