+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on the children and if they understood and weren't freaked if they woke before you were back. I leave my 14 year old at home with younger sibling for a quick zip to the local supermarket. And only my 14 year old for longer time period but always go over the "rules" like no cooking etc. I think that as long as both knew they could contact you at any time and I would make sure they could use the phone correctly and even get them to call when/if they woke, to check in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    And that's fine..it was more the judgemental tone and attitude expressed in my quoted post that surprised me...if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, fair call, but to judge another parent for considering it is a bit off, IMO. It's hardly that shocking an idea that the OP needs to be judged on her reasons for considering it, surely?
    To you and the other PP's who quoted me re. my "tone"... there was no tone? Apologies if it came across that way. I was just giving my opinion. I was at work so probably didn't take enough time to word what I wrote.

From what I can see there are other options for the OP, so IMO it's unnecessary to leave them at home.
    And IMO, 13yo- fine. 6yo- not so fine, but depends on the child, and the necessity of the situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I was 13 I was more than capable to do that. Must depend on the kid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I probably would.
    I would make sure they knew where I was. And it would be depending on how responsible the kids were.
    Chances are they wouldn't even be awake by 6 when I got home. I know I wasn't awake at 6am at that age!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read the other replies yet but yep, depending on the 13 year old I absolutely would.

I baby-sat a lot when I was 13, for babies as well as kids. Provided the 13 year old was someone I knew and trusted (as opposed to a stranger I was paying) I would be fine with it.

For those that wouldn't do this - would you let the 13 year old stay home alone? How old would the sitter have to be for you to feel comfortable leaving the 6 year old?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    Best not tell you that I left my just-turned-8yo home alone, all by himself, with no one else to watch him and care for him for a whole 75 minutes
    I have a very open mind and would have no problem with what the OP is suggesting, but 8 years old is too young to be home alone by yourself, and I suspect the law supports that opinion (but I'm not 100% on that). Can I ask why you left your 8 year old by themselves?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I leave my 10yo dd home alone (only child) in the mornings 3 times a week from 5.45am about 7.15am. My Husband surfs, so he usually leaves for an early morning surf about 5.30am (and gets home about 9am) while 3 times a week I walk with a girlfriend on the beach. The house is locked and she will call my mobile when she wakes up (which is yet to happen). The other 3 days I drag her for a run on the beach.

We had no choice but to allow her some independence from about age 8. I went through cancer treatment, so she sometimes was left alone in the morning (ready for school) and she had to leave for school and sometimes she would come home to an empty house. I couldn't dictate when my medical appointment were, I had to grab what I could get. She loves being home on her own and feels very grown up. I always have my phone, the door is always locked, the answering machine is on loud and she only answers the phone if either her Dad or I starts speaking in to the machine. She always called, when she is either leaving for school or arrived home from school.

If I hadn't have had to leave her alone from age 8 I don't know whether I would be so comfortable with it now. It was born from necessity. You will know when you're ready. Maybe you could try to do a "half" work out and be back earlier and gradually over time, when you feel ready, then look at doing the longer workout. Only you will know when you're ready, don't get pushed into it before you're ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I wouldn't get up that early to go to the gym or anywhere lol...

But I have done similar with my 12 year old and 6 year old and was home in an hour. They had the phone, neighbours, etc.

It really depends on the child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsA2B View Post
    I have a very open mind and would have no problem with what the OP is suggesting, but 8 years old is too young to be home alone by yourself, and I suspect the law supports that opinion (but I'm not 100% on that). Can I ask why you left your 8 year old by themselves?
    Because I afforded him the trust to stay home on his own (we live in a quiet area), I gave him the rules, rang my Husband and told him what was happening, and told him to ring my phone, which I left with my son, at the half way mark and see how he was doing. He was tired and feeling unwell (just a cold) and didn't want to come at sit outside in the cold for an hour whilst I took 9yo DD to swimming. I took the 6yo and the 4yo with me.

I was staying home alone by myself when I was 8yo, for long stretches of time as my mother worked evenings in a chalet doing bar/wait work. I would cook myself dinner, watch tv, bake a snack for when my mum got home, and go to bed. I am raising my children to be responsible and independent and to show them that I trust them.

He was perfectly fine when I returned home (I was only a 4min drive down the road), he was still happily playing minecraft and watching cartoons. I appreciate that not everyone would do some of the things that I do with my children, and that's okay, but I would never knowingly place them at risk of anything. And that's just it, isn't it? Risk evaluation, and everyone's is different

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (02-03-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I sure would.

I was babysitting at 12. And I was plenty responsible. When one of the babies I looked after had an anaphylactic reaction to egg fumes from a neighbour's cooking I gave her her epipen, called an ambulance and called her parents.

I agree that people are waaaaay too precious these days. I leave my 2 year old quite happily in the care of my 15yo brother every Wednesday afternoon for a few hours so I can go to work without him. When I come back he's been fed, bathed and entertained to the nines.

I have left him for shorter periods with my 13yo brother (he is a little scatty at times so based on his personality no more than 30-60 minutes) and no big responsibilities like bathing, just playing with him.

So with a 6 year old, who hopefully can get themselves out of bed and maybe make some cereal or at least put on the telly until mum is home? No question. Once again I'll add that yes I would base it on the personalities I was dealing with but generally speaking it wouldn't cross my mind not to.

I feel pretty sad for my kid that he won't be growing up like I did, wandering the streets with my friends, making our own harmless fun, climbing trees and whatever else, because chances are there won't be any other parents around who are happy with their kids playing that way!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (29-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (29-02-2016),NancyBlackett  (02-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-02-2016)