+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No. Going by my experience with my kids, at 5am the 13 year old would stay asleep and the 6 year old would get up at some stage and get up to no good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was 13 17 years ago, & it was really common for kids my age (well,girls!) to babysit. Most of my friends did, & I loved doing some babysitting. I'm with you, HollyGoLightly. Especially if youre home by 6.30, the kids wouls probably just get up & watch tv if they were awake before then. I would personally prefer that & then be home with them in the afternoon.

At 13, I would have to come home from school & get dinner started for the family on my own until everyone else got home. It looks like we give 13 year olds a lot less responsibility these days.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (29-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (29-02-2016),MsViking  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Would you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I was 13 17 years ago, & it was really common for kids my age (well,girls!) to babysit. Most of my friends did, & I loved doing some babysitting. I'm with you, HollyGoLightly. Especially if youre home by 6.30, the kids wouls probably just get up & watch tv if they were awake before then. I would personally prefer that & then be home with them in the afternoon.

At 13, I would have to come home from school & get dinner started for the family on my own until everyone else got home. It looks like we give 13 year olds a lot less responsibility these days.
    When people ask about what's changed since we were kids I think the main thing is the law. It's potentially illegal to leave a 6 year old alone who is not in the company of an adult. And a 13 year old is not an adult.

I am the youngest of 4 kids and my brother is 8 years older than me. He frequently took care of all 4 of us when he was a teen. Not for long periods but for about what the op is taking about. I have friends who have to leave for work before school starts who have the older siblings take the younger ones to school. Not that young but around 8.

99.99999% of the time everything is fine. When I was 4 I was an early waker and on weekends I was allowed to roam our neighbourhood until it was a respectable time for everyone else to wake up. And I wasn't alone in my wanderings. Times are just different and rather than let kids have these freedoms we plan for those minute times something might go wrong.

To the OP if it were my 6 yo probably not as she would be awake well before her sister and she's anxious if we're not around. But my 10 year old is very trust worthy so it's a yes / no as it entirely depends on the kids.
    Last edited by Sonja; 29-02-2016 at 07:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    When I was babysitting at 13 or 14 the carbon monoxide alarm went off while I was there. I immediately grabbed both children and carried them over to the neighbor's to ask for help. We should probably be more willing to give these kids the opportunity to surprise us, ya know? ☺️
    Your so right, and I know my DD would probably be great in most situations, she is very responsible, but it's always the what if's that hold me back- (oh that and DS who is 5, is a little of a rascal, so I'd feel sorry for her having to put up with him 😂)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

The law must vary by country, I just looked up UK and there's no legal limit to babysit, it is just that under 16 a babysitter can't be legally held responsible for something going wrong, it would be the parents responsibility.

I agree it's all very child dependent, obviously if your 13 year old isn't trustworthy than don't do it, I'm just surprised by attitude solely based on age.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 29-02-2016 at 07:52.

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree with Sonja. Because the laws are so subjective I think many parents are paranoid about being seen as doing the wrong thing and the potential for getting into trouble if something, however remote, does go wrong.
    People are so much more paranoid and judgy judgy these days.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 29-02-2016 at 07:57.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    The law must vary by country, I just looked up UK and there's no legal limit to babysit, it is just that under 16 a babysitter can't be legally held responsible for something going wrong, it would be the parents responsibility.
    Laws vary in each state in Australia. Some say nothing at all whereas others talk about what's reasonable. And that's entirely up to the circumstances at the time (eg time of day). I think they say something similar about responsibility of children but haven't checked for years.

ETA OP this is a good article that discussed pros and cons.

http://m.raisingchildren.net.au/arti...ome_alone.html
    Last edited by Sonja; 29-02-2016 at 07:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 6 years of age, my kids were all trustworthy enough to get up and get organised for the day without parental supervision. I go to the gym in the morning, getting home at 7.10am. I often come home to my kids all ready for the day, and DH fast asleep inbed.
    So, for me the answer is yes.
    I wouldn't expect the 13 year old to do anything with regards to getting the 6 year old ready, and I'd make sure they had a phone so they could contact me just in case.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

amyd  (29-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It would be entirely dependent on the 13 year old's maturity and ability to wake up if need be.
    At 5am, they're likely still going to be asleep, but would the 13 year old sleep through the 6yo waking up, or are they a lighter sleeper?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    It very rare these days. I only seen it once in my life and that was 20 years ago.
    I think it's actually a lot more common than people realise. A lot of parents at my kids old school worked and the kids got themselves home and were alone for an hour or 2 until the first parent got home.

We're looking at this in a year or so. My older 2 will walk home from school and I'll be getting my son. They'll be alone for about an hour or so. They'll be 8 and 12.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (29-02-2016),LoveLivesHere  (29-02-2016)