+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd do it. I'm looking forward to mine being old enough to not have to take then for every quick milk bread run etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Completely depends on the children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I left my then 7 & 4 year old with a 14 year old babysitter while I played netball. They are now nearly 8 & 5 and she is 15. I was babysitting other kids at around 13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Don't go on what bubhub suggests! You'd still be dragging them out instead of leaving them for a minute to pay for fuel lol....plus never ever leaving them unattended for a second or ever letting use a public toilet on their own until they are an adult themselves

Though if you feel uneasy maybe it's not the right time yet?

Only you know what's appropriate and safe for your family, what is irresponsible is very subjective.
    Ha, yea it's fine. I was really uneasy anyway it was DH who keeps thinking I'm crazy. I just wanted to know if I'm alone in my thoughts.
    I guess it's not the right time yet. But it would be awesome to work out together. Maybe in a year I will feel better about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If the 13 year old is responsible and they know where you are etc. If you are only a few minutes away. .I actually don't think it's that bad.
    If the 13 yo is comfortable about it too would be a big factor.
    Otherwise no I probably wouldn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Would you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    It very rare these days. I only seen it once in my life and that was 20 years ago.
    But why? What's changed? Are 13 year olds less responsible these days or are we just more paranoid? I was 13 22 years ago and was definitely babysitting siblings that were 3 & 5 regularly for money. (They were siblings, not my siblings).

Maybe it's an Australian thing? I know my cousin babysat for money a few times last year when she would have been 13 turning 14 and I left my 20 month old with her a few times when I was visiting in November for an hour or two and she was 14 (turning 15). I trusted her more with DS than my mom, she's definitely more sensible!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd say more paranoid :/
    My DD regularly surprises/impresses me with her her decisions/behavior, but I would not leave her with my 5yr old just in case of some sort of accident, not that I don't trust her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would if my eldest was responsible and if my youngest was ok with waking up without mum/dad. As long as they can contact you then it's ok (in my opinion)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

amyd  (29-02-2016),HollyGolightly81  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    I'd say more paranoid :/
    My DD regularly surprises/impresses me with her her decisions/behavior, but I would not leave her with my 5yr old just in case of some sort of accident, not that I don't trust her.
    When I was babysitting at 13 or 14 the carbon monoxide alarm went off while I was there. I immediately grabbed both children and carried them over to the neighbor's to ask for help. We should probably be more willing to give these kids the opportunity to surprise us, ya know? ☺️

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (29-02-2016),HillDweller  (02-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    6 months ago I would have said no way but now that DD1 is growing up and maturing (she's 9) I could see in 4 years time, her looking after her siblings whilst I went to get groceries etc. I do think it's a case by case thing though and depends on the child/ren.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (29-02-2016)