+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Would you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    how would that work? do you mean leave them in the car whilst it's off? and they are inside at the gym?
    I think she was joking.

ETA I think what she was doing was pointing out that many people (not anyone on here) wouldn't leave kids at home but would leave them in cars which is probably more dangerous and illegal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I think she was joking.

ETA I think what she was doing was pointing out that many people (not anyone on here) wouldn't leave kids at home but would leave them in cars which is probably more dangerous and illegal.
    lol, ok how embaressing. don't mind me, i'm half asleep. lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I want to recount an incident which happened to me a few weeks ago for 2 reasons. Firstly, I think it is relevant to several of the themes of this thread, and I hope it serves as a precaution to other parents. And secondly, I think I need to "de-brief" a little, as I am still quite traumatised by the event.

We moved house in January, and as the new house was only 3 minutes away, I did most of the moving of our contents by myself, just back and forth with stuff loaded into the back of my car. I put my 2yo in day-care that week, as she kept trying to "unpack" things. But my 5yo boy came with me, and my hubby set up a TV and DVD player downstairs for him at the new house, so he could watch TV whilst I faffed about unpacking.

It was that really hot week in January in Melbourne, so he just sat in front of the TV and air-con whilst I unpacked boxes upstairs. The TV was quite loud. At some point, and I have no idea when, he went outside to the car to look for his teddy. The car was unlocked, so he opened the door and got in, closing the door behind him. But the child safety locks were on, on both back doors. He didn't realise he could climb into the front and open the front doors. It was about 35 degrees outside, my car is black inside and outside, and it was about midday.

I had no reason to think he was anywhere other than downstairs. I could hear the TV. At some point I finished unpacking, and went downstairs to let him know we were going back to get some more boxes. But I went downstairs and couldn't find him. So, I went outside and found him in the car...soaked in sweat, very distressed, and banging on the window.

I brought him inside, sat him in front of the air-con, gave him water, and he soon settled. He felt incredibly hot. Later that day I showed him that he could always climb into the front and get out that way, and I unlocked the child safety lock on his side.

I have no idea how long he was in the car. I think I was upstairs for about 45 minutes, so it could have been as long as that.

I'll have to end the story here, as I am getting too upset thinking about what could have happened.

Please make sure your kids know they can get out through the front. Better still, always lock the car and put the keys out of reach. Accidents happen even under parental supervision. Would an older child have gone looking for him, or just assumed he was outside playing? Who knows.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by J37; 02-03-2016 at 04:45.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (02-03-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (02-03-2016),Olive Oil  (02-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I want to recount an incident which happened to me a few weeks ago for 2 reasons. Firstly, I think it is relevant to several of the themes of this thread, and I hope it serves as a precaution to other parents. And secondly, I think I need to "de-brief" a little, as I am still quite traumatised by the event.

We moved house in January, and as the new house was only 3 minutes away, I did most of the moving of our contents by myself, just back and forth with stuff loaded into the back of my car. I put my 2yo in day-care that week, as she kept trying to "unpack" things. But my 5yo boy came with me, and my hubby set up a TV and DVD player downstairs for him at the new house, so he could watch TV whilst I faffed about unpacking.

It was that really hot week in January in Melbourne, so he just sat in front of the TV and air-con whilst I unpacked boxes upstairs. The TV was quite loud. At some point, and I have no idea when, he went outside to the car to look for his teddy. The car was unlocked, so he opened the door and got in, closing the door behind him. But the child safety locks were on, on both back doors. He didn't realise he could climb into the front and open the front doors. It was about 35 degrees outside, my car is black inside and outside, and it was about midday.

I had no reason to think he was anywhere other than downstairs. I could hear the TV. At some point I finished unpacking, and went downstairs to let him know we were going back to get some more boxes. But I went downstairs and couldn't find him. So, I went outside and found him in the car...soaked in sweat, very distressed, and banging on the window.

I brought him inside, sat him in front of the air-con, gave him water, and he soon settled. He felt incredibly hot. Later that day I showed him that he could always climb into the front and get out that way, and I unlocked the child safety lock on his side.

I have no idea how long he was in the car. I think I was upstairs for about 45 minutes, so it could have been as long as that.

I'll have to end the story here, as I am getting too upset thinking about what could have happened.

Please make sure your kids know they can get out through the front. Better still, always lock the car and put the keys out of reach. Accidents happen even under parental supervision. Would an older child have gone looking for him, or just assumed he was outside playing? Who knows.

Ok noted. Will explain to my girls they can climb out the front.

I've actually shown them the emergence hammer and told them to use it if they get stuck. I highly recommend everyone has one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a terrifying experience. I'm sorry you had to go through that, and am so glad that it worked out okay x
    When my kids were small, I only ever had the child lock on the driver's side of the car...reason being that if we were ever in an accident and I couldn't get them out they could get out. From 5 my oldest child knew that if we were in an accident and I was trapped or not awake that they were to get the other kids out and wait on the side of the road until an adult came to help. I also had it drilled in to them that they were never to go to the car without asking...and explained why (scenarios like yours).
    By the time my youngest was 6 the child locks were off. We had no need for them past toddler age, and I don't like them because they do 'trap' kids in.
    I understand the sentiment behind your story, but for the reasons I just stated, your story doesn't influence my belief that my children would be safe to be at home for an hour at 13 and 6 years old.
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. It was, and is, still deeply upsetting.
    I'm glad other parents have the sense to unlock the safety lock when their children are no longer toddlers. It just never occurred to me. I feel pretty stupid to be honest. And you're right, it "traps kids in".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't feel stupid. It never occurred to me to take ours off. In fact, my 4 year old never really needed them on in the first place. I might take them off my car today.

Miss 14 months is no doubt going to be a whole different kettle of fish, I'll reassess in a while whether we need them on at all.

I'm so glad your son is ok x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys.
    It just breaks my heart to think my little boy was hot, sweaty, feeling suffocated, and scared. Screaming for his Mummy who didn't come.
    I'm welling up thinking about it. Not sure how to get past this really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @J37 just want to say thank you for sharing your story. I cant even imagine how frightening that would have been. So glad your ds is ok.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would you do this?

Thanks for the post @J37- I haven't been able to open the passenger doors from the inside and it was driving me bonkers as it occasionally shut on me when I jumped inside when raining and was strapping one of the kids in. It frightened me to think they couldn't get out if needed to.
    I just checked and turns out the child proof locks were on- I had no idea these things even existed. Many thanks!

Eta: big hugs, how awfully scary :/