+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I find a lot of people with chronic illness/injury WANT to do some form of work. They dont want to feel useless. Thats probably why he just wants to do something.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (29-02-2016),Nemmi1987  (29-02-2016)

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I dont really know them that well ao unsure of specifics. Apparently there is no actual restrictions on where he can work and can earn about $500 a fortnight before it cuts into his payments. I think she's being a bit harsh and probably needs to mind her own business. But a few people IRL have mentioned in passing about how if you are so disabled you can't work than why are they allowed to earn so much? That in their eyes that proves they can work and don't need disability just need to be selective in what jobs they do.
    Surely there would be restrictions? If, for example, you're on DSP because you have a bad back, but work as a furniture removalist, they're going to start questioning how genuine it is.

$500 a f/n isn't much. Personally, I agree with CL giving leeway with the amount you can earn before your payment is reduced, as it encourages those that are able to work, however little hours, to do so.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (29-02-2016)

My mother is on a disability pension that is technically for her asthma, but she has unmedicated bipolar which is a big issue in her life. Her asthma is unstable but the pension means she isn't pressured into doing things that could set off an asthma flare-up. Her illnesses have meant she is unqualified in anything, and barely employable. All she has been able to do in the last 10 years is a few months at an outbound call centre asking for charitable donations. No-one else will consider her and she has to quit or is fired after a few months due to illness flaring up.

Mental illness is a messy complicated thing. It gets better, it gets worse. Medication can have side affects. Also, lots of stigma.

Likely their disability pensions allow concessions on their medication that keeps them stable. And medication isn't cheap. Without that concession they may not be able to afford the medication and that's not a good place. Likely the mother would be on parenting payment of not on disability anyhow.

The disability pension for the dad probably stops him from doing jobs that will make his back worse. If he did, he would probably get worse and not be able to work for some time. And that could make it hard to find employment. I would also guess he isn't highly skilled? That could make a big difference if it's a desk job, but labouring takes a toll on a damaged body.

They would of had to jump through hoops to get on the disability pension, and it sounds to be keeping their lives stable. If there. Really was concern then there would be a way to contact Centrelink to get their claim re-assessed, or maybe DHS to get the kids assessed. I just hope the kids are being monitored as they should be categorised as 'at risk' due to the mothers mental illness

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default WDYT? Disability allowance

It's complex, I get what she is saying.

Although I personally think it's great that people on DSP can work and earn some extra money, meaningful daily activity gives people purpose.

I'm guess-timating but on DSP it's not saying you are too disabled to work at all, but that you can't work more than 15 hours a week and the DSP is a safety net to top up the rest of the shortfall. The extra money from the paid work improves quality of life etc.

The parenting thing is interesting, so many people say parenting is the 'hardest job in the world'! But the alternative is saying that people with disabilities can't procreate or can only have x number of children, and that would be discriminatory.

I do get that I think you'd be hard pushed to say someone who can be the primary carer for 5 kids is too disabled to work, there's not really an alternative.

People clutch on to their DSP as they know they would struggle to get it again if they went off it, which doesn't serve anyone well as people sit on it 'just incase' they get ill again. I'd like to see a more responsive payment so if someone with MI is working and had an episode they can quickly get put straight on DSP until they are well enough to move off it again.

They are my thoughts any way.
    Last edited by NoteToSelf; 29-02-2016 at 13:16.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I usually think it's not up to me to have an opinion on who is/is not worthy of receiving disability - that's up to centrelink to decide, & if someone is on disability, centrelink has clearly deemed them as needing to have it.

That being said,it must be frustrating seeing those close to you using it when you feel they are capable of working. The way I see it,being on income support is not an enviable lifestyle to me. I dont see the person living in a sh!t house, buying op shop clothes (not that Im knocking it,I wear stuff from the op shop!), driving a beat up car - I dont envy their life. I WANT to work, & I love working, &would be seriously depressed if I was unable to. So if someone is on disability & can work, but doesnt - I would pity them, rather than envy them for 'sitting around' all day.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I think the injury is fine as others have said, it could be backing up his part time work and if he has declared his hours, employer and type of work to Centrelink and they still pay it, I don't see the problem.

The comments on the SILs MI are unfair too. I personally find being a parent a million times more stressful than being at work but that's just me. I have anxiety and mild depression and that effects me as a parent and not as an employee. So I could only imagine that the opposite could be true for someone else. I think your SIL can't see past the end of her nose and is applying a skewed logic to her opinions, because her opinion is that parenting is harder than working but probably as that's true for her she thinks it must be true for everyone which is clearly not the case.