WDYT? Disability allowance | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week

Default WDYT? Disability allowance

Firstly, this topic has the propensity to become heated, but I've been thinking about this for a few days and am genuinely interested in people's views.

I was chatting with someone recently who expressed frustration and anger towards her sister and BIL. According to her they are both on long term Disability, her for mental illness and him for a back injury, and since the approval of payments years ago they have gone on to have 4 children (she is pg with the 5th) and he works part time.

She is angry as she feels that having 5 kids she adequately cares for is proof her mental illness really isn't severe enough that she can never work again. When I quizzed her as to whether she meant that people with MI and disability shouldn't have kids she said that wasn't the case. That it was the fact that the govt had ruled she was so disabled with mental illness she couldn't work yet her ailment didn't impact enough on being a primary carer to soon to be 5 kids. She argued that was way more stressful than packing shelves 3 or 4 days a week. Likewise she expressed anger that her BIL was working 2 to 3 days a week and keeping all his disability payments. She was confused how someone who had been ruled with such a severe injury to be on disability could not only be allowed to work, but to keep all of his payments.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hmmmm... well, I can see this getting heated but I will give my 2c.

MI is hard. So god damn hard. The longer you have the illness the harder it is to get better. Some MI are hard to manage - it's more than just 'I'm a little depressed'. Someone can function at home but not anywhere else.

Back injuries - again that's hard. I was also under the impression that you can work (somewhat) when you are on disability.

My dad has not worked for the past 20-30 years due to MI. Whether or not I feel he *should* be able to work is not relevant. I do not live his life. I do not feel what he feels or know what he can/cannot cope with when it comes to work. Being outside it is black and white. But this is always grey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Thanks Twinklify. I hope it doesn't get heated. But I've heard this expressed a bit lately and was interested what others thought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default WDYT? Disability allowance

I'm not sure about the MI - I guess depends on what type of illness she has and what causes it to flare up. Maybe these are the stressors found in work environments? I find parenting stressful but not everyone does. Kudos to her for managing with 5 kids.

As for the back injury, maybe he can only work part time because working full time will cause the injury to flare up? So long as he is declaring his part time work to Centrelink then all is fine. Maybe he isn't even getting the full disability support owing to his part time work, your friend could be mistaken.

I know you're just after some general feedback but it hard to comment when there could be more to the story. I try hard not to judge people... I still do sometimes 😂
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 28-02-2016 at 22:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She is angry as she feels that having 5 kids she adequately cares for is proof her mental illness really isn't severe enough that she can never work again

depends entirely on the illness, I have a cousin who is bipolar, when he's good he's good, when he's not you dont even reognise him

working with the back injury chances are he is on some kind of rehabilitation program,

it is not easy to get disability,
    I have a ton of health problems that will never go away and doubt I could get it,
    My mother has heart disease with a risk of heart attack, kidney disease (dialysis within in the next 8 years were told) bcc and was having daily radiation and couldnt qualify for anything at all

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think with the husband with the back injury, perhaps the disability payment is helping him to be able to work part time, by supplementing his incoming for the shortfall from not being able to participate more fully in paid employment.

With regard to the wife. I don't experience mental illness but I can see that for some, as stressful as kids are, it may be more manageable to wrangle the kids then to handle the demands of employment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I think with the husband with the back injury, perhaps the disability payment is helping him to be able to work part time, by supplementing his incoming for the shortfall from not being able to participate more fully in paid employment.
    Exactly. 2-3 days isn't full time. Also no idea if they are 'full' days or what type of work etc. Maybe the 2-3 days are half days where he is wanting to do *something* and thats all he can do. Again I try and give people the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Regarding the MI, I can see where she's coming from and somewhat agree... if you can adequately care for 5 children, surely there's a job that would be suitable? Though, given she now has 5 children, being able to work may be harder than it was previously.
    BUT, I don't know the specifics, so that's a hard thing to make a judgement on.

As for the back injury, I'd imagine they have set strict stipulations for him to be able to work; the maximum hours he can do, the type of work etc. and I assume it's like parenting payment, where you can earn up to a certain amount before your payments are affected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that it's best to leave people to their own problems. I can see why your friend would feel frustrated and maybe think that her sister and BIL are getting a free ride from the govt. It's also possible that they really are experiencing hardship and the payments are fair. We'll probably never know.

Ultimately, I guess your friend needs to decide whether she wants to maintain a relationship with her sister or not. If so, then I think the only way to keep her sanity is to let it go and try her best to "live and let live". If not, then tell Centrelink and let them be the judge....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I dont really know them that well ao unsure of specifics. Apparently there is no actual restrictions on where he can work and can earn about $500 a fortnight before it cuts into his payments. I think she's being a bit harsh and probably needs to mind her own business. But a few people IRL have mentioned in passing about how if you are so disabled you can't work than why are they allowed to earn so much? That in their eyes that proves they can work and don't need disability just need to be selective in what jobs they do.