+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What would you do? Hospital vs OB

I've just found out that I'm pregnant today and am now thinking about what ob to go with.
    The thing is, I had the same ob for my last 2 pregnancies and I absolutely love him. If he delivered in the hospital I want, I would go again with him in a heartbeat, but my experience with the hospital last time around was not great, and I absolutely hated being so far from home, meaning I hardly saw my DS1 when I was in hospital with DS2. I couldn't wait to leave the hospital. The pregnancy management was amazing but once that baby was born, I hated my hospital experience.
    So I've been planning to change obs before i even started TTC but now that I'm actually looking at obs to choose from, I'm finding it really daunting - how do I choose? What if I don't like them? Will they be as good as my previous ob when it comes to the birth?
    am I mad to even consider changing?
    The ob I had will not deliver at my preferred hospital, so it's either the hospital I want (minutes down the road from my house, beautiful new suites, and they do water births, plus I've only heard good things about their midwives), but unknown ob experience, or go with my old ob who i adore and trust, but have to deal with a hospital that is far from home (it's not really THAT far, but far enough that my kids won't be able to visit often, and I won't be able to spend much time with DH), midwives that I had bad experiences with in both labours, and it's also an older facility (still very nice though) without the option of water birth..

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a whole older hospitals are often better, the new ones can seem superficially great and pretty but often there's politics which hasn't settled down yet and they have the business Coz their pretty, the older ones tend to have to work harder so ur old one might be better if there's competition in town!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisau77 View Post
    As a whole older hospitals are often better, the new ones can seem superficially great and pretty but often there's politics which hasn't settled down yet and they have the business Coz their pretty, the older ones tend to have to work harder so ur old one might be better if there's competition in town!
    I agree with you absolutely, except this hospital I want near my place is 110 years old. It's just the maternity section that has been rebuilt and state of the art.. The doctors and midwives and hospital policy generally hasn't changed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like you have made up your mind
    Me, I would stick with my ob but I have had previous complications and like the fact he knows me history. The ob looks after you for most of your pregnancy where as the hospital stay is just a few days. Good luck and congrats too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkers View Post
    Sounds like you have made up your mind
    Me, I would stick with my ob but I have had previous complications and like the fact he knows me history. The ob looks after you for most of your pregnancy where as the hospital stay is just a few days. Good luck and congrats too
    I thought I had made up my mind but now I'm really not sure... Maybe I should have an early meeting with one of the obs at the preferred hospital and see how I feel about them? Or I could try my old ob at another hospital (just not the one I want)..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Give your old obs office and explain the situation. Ask is your ob or the sin could call back with an ob recommendation at the closer hospital. They all know each other and should be able to help you out. Good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Qwerty For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (28-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it were me I'd definitely be sticking with the Ob who I had a good experience with & who knows my history. Is there anything in particular you didn't like about the hospital stay? I was just wondering if something you didn't like may have changed since last time you were there?

Good luck, I hope you come to a decision that you're happy with

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky27 For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (28-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have had low risk pregnancies and births - tbh I would consider a facility closer to home. I had ds1 (#3) more than hour from home and it was really sad not to have my DH and other 2 dds close when I needed them. I would ask your new OB to get your records from the old one so there is a bit of history and understanding of any issues, but for me, OBs are very skilled (6/12 one, half a dozen the other) so its more personality that counts and proximity. Good luck x

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We're your other births uncomplicated etc? Whilst it's no guarantee, if you've had 2 straight forward vaginal births without complication chances are your third will be fast and reasonably easy. However if you had difficult pregnancies or complicated births it's probably best you stick with your trusted OB. You don't need to stay in the hospital long if its a straight forward birth, you could go home the same day potentially.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's a tough one. If you have had complicated pregnancies, it's probably best to stick with your OB but if you've had straightforward pregnancies & births then the closer hospital might work better for you.

I like the idea of calling your OB and explaining the situation and asking them to recommend someone.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post: