+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The pram doesn't work for us- DS1 hates it (and lets his displeasure be loudly known) and I only have a single stroller anyway.

At the shops with both boys (a situation which I try hard to avoid!) I put DS1 in the trolley and wear DS2 in the BabyBjorn. It's a limited-time solution, because DS2 is fast getting too heavy to carry, and once he gets bored DS1 starts trying to get out of the trolley to run off. Oh, so much fun....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I’ve got an almost 3 year old bolter, he’s as quick as lightening, mostly refuses to hold your hand and is fearless. He’ll head for lifts and try and get in them at the shops, try and jump on the side of escalators, at the park he’ll bolt for the lake. I recently had to chase him 6 months pregnant through an entire pool complex where he made it to the front door, out the front doors and into the car park. It’s actually really scary. I’ve had to run for my life several times to get him before he’s gotten to a road.We’ve tried absolutely everything, rewards, stern talking to, trying to get him in the pram. Random rewards for walking holding our hand well for even 2 mins. He will sometimes still sit in the pram, with a snack, but once he wants to get out, there is no way I can get him back in. He can get out of two Houdini straps. I can yell in a booming voice and nothing will startle him. He can get out of a supermarket trolley and jump down and take off and dive under an isle at woollies in a nano second.

It’s hard! I find lately as I’m pregnant and fat and literally can’t chase him, I have to avoid any kind of open space. He’s very strong and can absolutely get out of my grip.

I’ve absolutely no quams using a back pack or leash but my child just really doesn’tl ike it and tries to get it off. I’d use it every day if he let me put it on.

The only thing I have found that can work sometimes is to “lunge”him first. Usually when I need to go to the shopping centre to run errands, I either have to stop at the park for half an hour or so to try and run some energy out of him, or if I can do that I take him to the shoe department at big w or kmart and let him run around the isles because he can’t really break anything. If I get some energy out of him, then give him something to eat, he might sit in the pramfor 20 mins/half an hour so I can get a few things done.

I feel for you! It often makes me want to cry when I see parents walking with kids who just follow along, or hold their hand or hold onto the pram. I am in awe of people who can walk down a street with cars with their kid walking next to them.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

calicocat  (01-03-2016),Gentoo  (01-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    My third was a runner. He was given one chance to stay with me and if he bolted he went straight in the pram. If he struggled if was strapped in.
    This is what we do!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

calicocat  (01-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dealing with a bolter

Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to reply, life is cutting into my hub time at the moment.
    Thank you so much for your suggestions, I'm going to attack this bolting shiz using a multi-pronged approach.
    I'm going to fish the pram out and give it another go. Perhaps it will be a bit of a novelty after all this time, he might not even remember it. I'd like to avoid a leash if possible but if I get desperate I'll go there.
    I like the idea of drumming the rules into him and developing some simple expectations. Dealing with it reactively clearly isn't working and we both just end up upset and grumpy. @clementineGrace are you a horse person? I just love the idea of lunging my child, the visuals are hilarious 😂
    I also can relate to almost everything in your post!
    I'm complaining but I seriously bow down to you ladies who also have younger bubs or who are pregnant. Going out the front door must be seriously stressful, you're all amazing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Dealing with a bolter

Haha @calicocat I do love horses and if taking him to the race track and running him in laps might help, I'd do it! He's just never physically tired, he's like an energiser bunny x 1000.

Really hope something works for you! It's very stressful having a bolter and my DS is honestly getting worse as he approaches 3.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

calicocat  (02-03-2016)