+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Dealing with a bolter

@Sonya why do you prefer a stroller? I did a happy dance the day we got rid of ours. Such a PITA to take out.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    @Marigold would the threat of holding hands be more terrifying? My DD LOVES being carried but of course only on her terms. If it's as a punishment she screams her head off 😂

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (28-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    @Sonya why do you prefer a stroller? I did a happy dance the day we got rid of ours. Such a PITA to take out.
    Because I hate the idea of putting kids on leashes so it was never an option for me.

My main problems were school pick ups and shopping centres. Both times strollers were convenient as I would use them to also carry all the crap my kids accumulate (or school bags).

I have a love hate relationship with strollers.

ETA when we lived in Melbourne our nearest main roads were Alexandra parade, Nicholson street and Brunswick street. If I'd had my son while we were living there no way would a leash have kept him safe. I guess because we lived near such busy roads my fallback was the stroller if I was ever concerned the kids would leave my side (thankfully my eldest 2 didn't once they were walking).
    Last edited by Sonja; 28-02-2016 at 23:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I would use the backpack "leash" if I had a consistent runner. But none of mine have been like that.

I think a pram is much more restrictive.

I hate the pram and only use it for longer walks and if absolutely necessary.

The last time I needed the pram about a month ago, my youngest (3yo) refused to sit in it and instead wanted to push it I had to go and pick up a hire car in the city as my car was in being repaired and what should've been a 10 minute walk to the station ended up being 30 mins. Should've taken the scooter.

Here's her p1ssed off with me whilst walking to station as I was pushing and she wasn't

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1456684190.558245.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD almost three isn't a runner but DS 2 is. I don't care you sit your butt in the pram and I pretend I can't hear you 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing for later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both of mine have been bolters at that age, DS less so than DD was. DS was happy to hold my hand and stay close when he started walking, but now he hates it and just goes flop if I try, so I end up picking him up, at which point he starts to throw himself around. At 15kg+ it is doing my back in, so I still use the stroller or we would never get anywhere! There is no way a leash would work because he has his own opinion on where he wants to go, so I would just end up picking him up half the time. Less of an issue with DD as she was much lighter than him.

They both also thought mum running and screaming "stop" at them racing towards a road was THE funniest game!

I still have to frequently force DS into the pram. IMO it is no different to every time I need to force him into the harness of his car seat - it is something I need to do to ensure his safety.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my son went through that stage, I forcibly strapped him into the pram for a time out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a runner. Luckily she's not that fast.
    The other week she ran off while I was at the ATM. Refused to hold my hand and was definitely being naughty. And my card was in the machine.
    I'd definitely use a lead backpack. ..I've been thinking about it. I use a pram but strapping her in to that can be very challenging too.
    Do what works for you I say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just out of interest, for those of you against backpack leads what is it that you don't like? Is it purely the idea of having a child on a "lead"? I've just never understood why people don't like them, for ds1 it was the only option to allow him to walk around when I was pregnant so I can't see how it was a bad thing as otherwise he would have had to stay in his pushchair. And we used to get lots of "ah how cute" comments so not sure why people hate them?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (29-02-2016)