+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DH works away (usually just overnight but sometimes 2x nights) a few times a week. I only have 1 child but am expecting another in August, he will start back at work and going away when bub is 3 weeks old. It worries me a lot how I will cope but I am lucky that my parents live close by and are very hands on.

I usually try and have some sort of activity in the morning to wear her out and then just chill out time at home in the afternoon.

Things that work for me at the moments are:

Dinners
    - getting it ready earlier in the day while DD watches playschool and has afternoon snack
    - preprepared meals from the freezer
    - easy meals (eggs on toast, mac & cheese)
    - Something I can just chuck on an oven tray and bake (kievs and roast veg)
    - Cooking something in my Bellini

Bath
    - DD showers with me. I pop her on the floor with her toys while I wash myself, then wash her and we jump out.
    - Have PJs, book, bed, room all set up ready to go for when we get out of the bath.
    - Dinner and bath at my Mums place, go home and go straight to bed

When baby #2 arrives I plan on having a good 4 months worth of meals and snacks frozen in preparation. When DH asked what we needed for the new baby I said a car seat and a deep freezer hahahah

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks everyone who has replied! We survived our first evening, just now to see how DS goes tonight, fingers crossed for a good night!
    I really appreciate everyone's ideas and support

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (29-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was thinking of you earlier - my DH went away today as well, just until Friday. When he's away, I always breathe a huge sigh of relief when both kids are finally asleep. Sounds like you did the same thing.

Fingers crossed for an uneventful night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's great that you've gotten through your first night!

My DH is currently away too (he goes Away a bit unfortunately), I find staying busy and being organised to be the key. If you're having a bad day, start a night time routine earlier, no harm in bathing baby or 2 year old mid afternoon instead of the normal night routines. Have a go to meal too if you're exhausted one night, even something like cereal or toast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ugh. Night times are not off to a good start! DD woke last night at 10, 11 and 12. Then she passed the baton to DS who woke at 2, 3 and 4 then got up for the day at 6.30. DS doesn't think daytime sleep is necessary at the moment so not much chance for me to catch up during the day!
    Surely tonight has to be better? It can't be worse, right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, that sucks! My advice is to do whatever you need to do to get enough sleep for yourself to function. If that means relaxing the rules and letting them sleep in your bed, so be it!

(My DH had the audacity to complain that DS1's sleep got worse while he was away, because after the first few wake-ups, I eventually just gave in and let him finish the night in my bed. Um, no, his sleep went to crap BECAUSE you were away, DH, and I was left to deal with the fall-out!!!)