DH works away (usually just overnight but sometimes 2x nights) a few times a week. I only have 1 child but am expecting another in August, he will start back at work and going away when bub is 3 weeks old. It worries me a lot how I will cope but I am lucky that my parents live close by and are very hands on.
I usually try and have some sort of activity in the morning to wear her out and then just chill out time at home in the afternoon.
Things that work for me at the moments are:
- getting it ready earlier in the day while DD watches playschool and has afternoon snack
- preprepared meals from the freezer
- easy meals (eggs on toast, mac & cheese)
- Something I can just chuck on an oven tray and bake (kievs and roast veg)
- Cooking something in my Bellini
- DD showers with me. I pop her on the floor with her toys while I wash myself, then wash her and we jump out.
- Have PJs, book, bed, room all set up ready to go for when we get out of the bath.
- Dinner and bath at my Mums place, go home and go straight to bed
When baby #2 arrives I plan on having a good 4 months worth of meals and snacks frozen in preparation. When DH asked what we needed for the new baby I said a car seat and a deep freezer hahahah