+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noty View Post
    Have you thought about a toddler bed for #2 instead?

My two boys share a room and I was thinking about getting bunks but don't think I will now! We have DS1 (who is 5) in a single bed and DS2 (who is 2) in a toddler bed. I'm planning on keeping him in a toddler bed until he's about 5 as there isn't enough room for 2 singles in their room. We'll probably move house then anyway.
    Her cot changes into a toddler bed but I can't see her being in that past 4ish....so the space issue won't b too bad till she grows out of that 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

The ikea bunk bed is only 116cm tall so no issue at all.
    Hmm maybe this will be the go after all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moto View Post
    We got a lowline bunk for our girls - the bottom bed is just off the ground and the top bunk is at my shoulder, so it's not quite as high off the ground. DD1 (4 years old) sleeps amazingly on the top bunk. She has been a chronic waker since she was 2 but doesn't on the top bunk. DD2 (2 years old) will go on the bottom bed when we're ready for her to escape the cot.

I find the bed no issue to change, and it's actually easier than the King single bed we had before the bunks.
    What bunk is it that u have?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    I have looked at the IKEA kura bed but to have a mattress on the floor isn't the best, mattresses need to air out hence having slats so that kinda put me off a bit cause it can cause mold, does anyone here use the kura bed for two kids?
    You could always get some old crates from Bunnings (they're free and usually somewhere in car park) so mattress is off the floor a bit.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (28-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bunk beds? Yay or nay?

We have this bunk.....

http://www.fortywinks.com.au/saturn-...ure-white.html

It's lower than a normal bunk so feels perfectly safe, plus there is no way a kid could roll out of it. The top is not stuffy. We have a ceiling fan and there has been no issues. The kids know not to jump or be silly on the top bunk.
    I lever the top mattress out to change it (balance it on the edge of the bed) and it's fine.

I like it as it leaves space in the room for a reading nook and just feels less cluttered.

Nb. The bottom mattress isn't on the floor, there are slats.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bunk beds? Yay or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    We have this bunk.....

http://www.fortywinks.com.au/saturn-...ure-white.html

It's lower than a normal bunk so feels perfectly safe, plus there is no way a kid could roll out of it. The top is not stuffy. We have a ceiling fan and there has been no issues. The kids know not to jump or be silly on the top bunk.
    I lever the top mattress out to change it (balance it on the edge of the bed) and it's fine.

I like it as it leaves space in the room for a reading nook and just feels less cluttered.

Nb. The bottom mattress isn't on the floor, there are slats.
    Love that bunk bed! How much was it, if you don't mind me asking? Can you buy them online?

Edit: please ignore the questions. I've just entered my postcode and have the price, and it looks like you can buy online
    Last edited by witherwings; 28-02-2016 at 12:02.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does that Saturn bunk take a normal thickness mattress or do u have to buy a special one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We just got normal inner spring ones.

I think it was around $800? We got it 2 years ago.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (28-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had the ikea kura bunk and the mattress on the floor has not been a problem...except it need a warm undetlay in winter...but for price and space saving it's been great.
    I wouldn't get a bunk if we didn't have to, but we needed the space. It was actuallly the bottom bunk I detested making the most.
    Our bunk is no longer needed...our kids that share a room are not really at toy age anymore, and asked to go back to single beds. So, we now just have the bunk bed in our youngest's room and the underneath is set up like a fort.
    It's been such a good investment. Check out ikea kura bunk hacks. They are amazing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is something we'll have to do too. My youngest (almost 2) and 6 (almost 7) year old share a room and my younger is still in the cot but I'm guessing maybe this year we will hsve to look into bunks. Their bedroom is small so no room for two beds. I'll be getting low-line bunks.