+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you thought about a toddler bed for #2 instead?

My two boys share a room and I was thinking about getting bunks but don't think I will now! We have DS1 (who is 5) in a single bed and DS2 (who is 2) in a toddler bed. I'm planning on keeping him in a toddler bed until he's about 5 as there isn't enough room for 2 singles in their room. We'll probably move house then anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're thinking about using a midi bed to raise one bed up so we can but the second bed under it at a 90° angle. Haven't actually followed through with buying one, but it might work...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    DSS1 and 2 have a bunk. Sheet changes are a PITA but no big deal. Pulling apart the bunk to move house is not greater issue than a normal bed. Neither of them have mentioned the top bunk being stuffy but I haven't slept on it so can't be sure! Ceiling fans can be a safety issue with bunks.... No way I'd have a fan above the bunk. If the fan was to the side of the bunk maybe... But only if the fan blades were light, flexible wood. Definitely no metal blades.
    I don't know of anyone who has their bunk bed in the middle of the room My daughter's bed is at the side of the room and the fan is in the middle. No issues in the in the years we've had this bed.

The ikea bunk bed is only 116cm tall so no issue at all.

TeamAwesome is offline No one's perfect, but everyone can be awesome.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We used a normal single and trundle bed for our youngest two DDs when they were 5&2.5 when she moved out of her converted cot/toddler bed we then put the younger one into a proper bed at 4yo. She was a big night mover.

The trundle was only half pulled out and on an L to the top of the single so didn't take up a lot off floor space as kids rooms are not big by any stretch of imagination.

We do manage to fit two beds x 2 rooms with not much else and have play space elsewhere now. Bedrooms for sleeping and changing clothes only.

If you have a measuring tape get it out and give everything a measure up you may be surprised at having a little more room than you thought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got a lowline bunk for our girls - the bottom bed is just off the ground and the top bunk is at my shoulder, so it's not quite as high off the ground. DD1 (4 years old) sleeps amazingly on the top bunk. She has been a chronic waker since she was 2 but doesn't on the top bunk. DD2 (2 years old) will go on the bottom bed when we're ready for her to escape the cot.

I find the bed no issue to change, and it's actually easier than the King single bed we had before the bunks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have my boys in bunk beds, out of necessity as I actually have 3 kids in one room.

If you need the space, bunks are obviously great for that. They do save so much space.

My only negative is the linen changes. OMG I hate it. I am trying to teach DS1 how to do it but it is hard enough for me to do, let alone him, so I still do most of it.
    Other than that we have no issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Everything above plus be prepared to get foot prints on the ceiling above the top bunk.

The big plus is more floor space of course.

I'm actually trying to work out how to get rid of ours.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bunk beds? Yay or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't know of anyone who has their bunk bed in the middle of the room My daughter's bed is at the side of the room and the fan is in the middle. No issues in the in the years we've had this bed.

The ikea bunk bed is only 116cm tall so no issue at all.
    I also know a child who got his skull chopped open from playing on the top bunk near a ceiling fan so I'm probably over cautious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I have bunks for my nearly 8 year old. We have ceiling fans so heat not an issue. Changing the sheets are annoying but I don't hate it that much. My daughter loves her bunk and we took the bottom bed away so it looks like a loft bed with her desk underneath for homework.

My 3 year old recently moved to a bunk. It's an ikea one and it is not very high and it is quite secure. You can change the sheets easily on the ikea bunk as its height is below my shoulders.

My friend has ikea bunk with mattress on floor for her two boys.

http://m.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/art/00253813/
    I have looked at the IKEA kura bed but to have a mattress on the floor isn't the best, mattresses need to air out hence having slats so that kinda put me off a bit cause it can cause mold, does anyone here use the kura bed for two kids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    DSS1 and 2 have a bunk. Sheet changes are a PITA but no big deal. Pulling apart the bunk to move house is not greater issue than a normal bed. Neither of them have mentioned the top bunk being stuffy but I haven't slept on it so can't be sure! Ceiling fans can be a safety issue with bunks.... No way I'd have a fan above the bunk. If the fan was to the side of the bunk maybe... But only if the fan blades were light, flexible wood. Definitely no metal blades.
    There's no ceiling fan in our girls room that would be so dangerous. Away from lights would be a good idea too!