+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Bunk beds? Yay or nay?

We are planning on putting our two girls (5 and 1) in the same room. Once dd2 is in a full size bed we will fit the beds with 1 bedside in the room between the beds and that's it ( room has built ins) so won't be room for anything else.

Ive considered bunks ( low ones) but as I've never had them before I have no idea what they are like. I can imagine the top bunk is a pain to change linen? Also what are they like when u have to move house ( we rent ATM)

Would u have two beds with no room or bunks? Any tips appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Linen changes are HORIBBLE !! We have 2 sets of bunks here

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emmiejayne For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (27-02-2016),TaylasWorld  (28-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sold the girls bunk beds and went to 2 beds instead. Linen changes are a nightmare and we found the top bunk in summer gets really hot.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (27-02-2016)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think there's a recommendation in place that suggests bunk beds are best for the over 9's.
    Eta - https://www.productsafety.gov.au/con.../itemId/974795

We have twin beds, a bedside table in between and an Ikea bookcase and not much room for anything else. They don't play in their bedroom though so as a sleeping space it works just fine.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (28-02-2016),SoThisIsLove  (27-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-biscotti View Post
    I think there's a recommendation in place that suggests bunk beds are best for the over 9's.
    Eta - https://www.productsafety.gov.au/con.../itemId/974795

We have twin beds, a bedside table in between and an Ikea bookcase and not much room for anything else. They don't play in their bedroom though so as a sleeping space it works just fine.
    Where I've looked for bunk beds they mainly say 6. I'm not thrilled at the thought of them, just thought some feedback from those who have / had them would be helpful 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    I sold the girls bunk beds and went to 2 beds instead. Linen changes are a nightmare and we found the top bunk in summer gets really hot.
    Agree. We have them and unless you have really high ceilings the top bunk is hot and incredibly stuffy.

And my god changing sheets! Awful. And if the kid on top is sick, or has to go to the toilet. Nightmare.

You can buy bunks that separate. Strongly recommend that in case it's a no go. None of my kids will sleep on the top bunk.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (28-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Think I'll be sticking to two single beds lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I have bunks for my nearly 8 year old. We have ceiling fans so heat not an issue. Changing the sheets are annoying but I don't hate it that much. My daughter loves her bunk and we took the bottom bed away so it looks like a loft bed with her desk underneath for homework.

My 3 year old recently moved to a bunk. It's an ikea one and it is not very high and it is quite secure. You can change the sheets easily on the ikea bunk as its height is below my shoulders.

My friend has ikea bunk with mattress on floor for her two boys.

http://m.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/art/00253813/
    Last edited by BigRedV; 28-02-2016 at 05:28.

Thanks
    Reviews

We are just in the process of choosing a bunk bed. I didn't consider the heat issue or linen change. My boys (2 and 4) slept in a bunk bed for 3 weeks when we were in the Swiss alps recently but the climate there is much colder than here obviously, and grandparents changed the sheets so I didn't notice.. Definitely something to consider. There is no space in the room for 2 single beds, unless we took everything else out.
    Good tip on the ikea bed! I'll be checking that as an option
    Last edited by witherwings; 28-02-2016 at 05:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DSS1 and 2 have a bunk. Sheet changes are a PITA but no big deal. Pulling apart the bunk to move house is not greater issue than a normal bed. Neither of them have mentioned the top bunk being stuffy but I haven't slept on it so can't be sure! Ceiling fans can be a safety issue with bunks.... No way I'd have a fan above the bunk. If the fan was to the side of the bunk maybe... But only if the fan blades were light, flexible wood. Definitely no metal blades.