+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Recently had surgery no period yet

Hiya!
    I broke my wrist two weeks ago and had surgery 5 days later to insert a plate. My period was due 4 days later but didn't happen. It's now 5 days post due. I've had a day of bad cramping and some on and off mild ones.
    Ive only had 3 periods since coming off endocrine therapies after treatment for breast cancer but they had been regular if not early.

So my question is has anyone experienced a delay in their period after having anesthetic?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've never skipped a period after surgery, even gynecological surgery.
    Is there a chance you could be pregnant or the side effects from coming off some of the drugs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you have chemotherapy for breast cancer? If so, this may have put you into early menopause, hence the irregular periods. It can be a delayed effect, once chemotherapy is completed.

Which endocrine therapy were you on? Tamoxifen, anastrozole? These can most certainly induce an early menopause also, and therefore cause irregular periods. Again, endocrine Rx can have a delayed effect.

There is no valid pharmacological reason why a GA (general anaesthetic) should affect your menstrual cycle. There has to be something else at play.

And obviously if you are sexually active, you need to exclude pregnancy, even if the likelihood is remote.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Kirboxx  (28-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did have chemo back in early 2013 but I was also on a drug called zoladex between end of 2012 to end of 2014. Zoladex temporarily shuts down the ovaries into a chemical menopause which was done to try and preserve my fertility. I also did tamoxifen from July 2013 to early 2015 to try and reduce my risk of reoccurrence.

I stopped both drugs after talking with my surgeon and oncologist both agreeing it would be OK to have a 2 year break from the tamoxifen to TTC.

I hadnt had a period between end of 2012 to November last year. They did explain it may take months for my periods to return. So I've had 3 periods since their return and I was surprised how regular they were after the long break.

So along with getting the all clear to TTC I was also sent for an AMH last October which gave me a result of 0.5 which was a blow. I'm doing another in a couple of weeks to see if it's still a symptom of the zoladex or if I am actually in early menopause (I'm not sure if it is the latter as I haven't had any of the symptoms since chemo and radiation finished).

the chance of pregnancy would be pretty low, as much as we are TTC hubby has had his own health problems (colon cancer diagnosis last October, all clear now so he had major surgery and we weren't able to try for 2 months and he was ill last month so only one attempt

I know a few women who have had weight loss surgery (I did in mid 2012) and had their periods come early after the op but never heard of any late ones. And info I am finding online is mostly coming from cosmetic surgery forums lol.

Anyway thanks for your replies and reading this, I know it's a bit long

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had breast cancer last year also, which was ER+ve, PR+ve, HER-ve. After only 3 cycles of chemotherapy (AC initially), my periods disappeared. Then I started anastrozole, and had my ovaries removed, to make sure I am well and truly post-menopausal. I am only 40, but as you said, with a hormone-receptor +ve breast cancer, being post-menopausal significantly reduces the risk of recurrence. After my oophorectomy, my periods obviously never came back.

Because your ovaries are still "waking up" from the endocrine therapy, I don't think an AMH is that useful. Looking at the pituitary-gonadal axis will give you more information. So, your FSH, LH, oestrogen and progesterone levels. These will give you a much better idea of what's happening.

I'll preface this with I'm a doctor with a fair bit of Anaesthetics experience, and I can safely say that a GA will not have affected your periods. If you were looking up weight-loss surgery, just remember that weight loss can affect one's menstrual cycles in and of itself. Nothing to do with the GA.

Good luck TTC. Breast cancer is truly sh!tty, and a baby would be a lovely end to the tunnel.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Kirboxx  (28-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply. Going to get a test this morning and see how that goes 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    holy cow, that was unexpected. Clear Blue digital says 2-3 weeks.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kirboxx For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (28-02-2016),Ngaiz  (28-02-2016),PinkPopsicle  (28-02-2016),RedCreamingSoda  (28-02-2016),Sunnybambino  (28-02-2016),Wise Enough  (28-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirboxx View Post
    holy cow, that was unexpected. Clear Blue digital says 2-3 weeks.
    Wow congratulations!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lovely news!