+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Well I made some calls today. Cat rescue won't accept strays in case they are someone's pet. Council don't get involved with cats at all. The RSPCA advised me to hire a trap and bring it in to them.

I think for now I'm going to work on deterrents. I need to find the neighbour and ask her to stop putting food out for it. I need to let the real estate know that we need the bushes trimmed ASAP. I made a lemon & eucalyptus spray and sprayed the mulch (apparently cats hate citrus and essential oils).

There is crap EVERYWHERE and it's truly disgusting
    That's such a shame. Sounds like you've tried everything, I can't believe they won't take it as it's clearly a stray. Even if it was someone's pet they would have to be shocking pet owners and wouldn't deserve it, anyway!
    Can I suggest one more thing? Can you put a free add on Gumtree for it? Or a local FB page. Maybe give it a week or so and then do what you have to do. I know it's unfair that responsibility has been placed on you but the cat didn't ask for this situation, either. There may be someone out there who is willing to rescue it if you post an honest ad describing what's happened.
    I've rescued 3 cats, one of which appeared at my backdoor carrying it's tiny kitten in it's mouth! It had given birth in the shrubs in my garden and I ended up re homing all of them within days of advertising them to good homes on Gumtree. I realise it's a PITA to do, but just a thought before it's left to the elements.
    Good luck! Poor kitty 😞

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Cdro  (29-02-2016)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A sprinkler?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I actually think if you're smelling that much cat waste that the cat isn't living there, it wouldn't be sleeping and pooping in the same spot ya know? It probably does its business there because it's nice and private from the bushes, if it's that bad and food is being left there it is also probably more than one neighborhood cat. I would leave a note where the neighbor would be able to see it asking her to stop and maybe ring your bell to discuss why and also trim the bushes to try and make it not so private. There are also motion detection alarms you can get the emit a pitch they don't like.

I feel for you, one of the reasons we broke the lease at our first flat over here was because we had like 12 neighborhood cats and strays using our back garden as a litter box plus coming up to our windows and spraying them in front of our two house cats which was making our cats go absolutely nuts and really aggressive from the stress. They were driving me mental!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    To me it sounds like you have some other critter pooping there, as you wouldn't actually see cat poo, they will always dig a hole and cover it up.
    And it won't live in an where it's doing its business.

I have heard people plant lavender as a deterrent. Also you can buy organic cat repellents, I have recently bought some to keep a stray away as our cat is petrified when it comes to visit her. Although it isn't really long term, you'd need to put the pellets their regularly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    To me it sounds like you have some other critter pooping there, as you wouldn't actually see cat poo, they will always dig a hole and cover it up.
    And it won't live in an where it's doing its business.

I have heard people plant lavender as a deterrent. Also you can buy organic cat repellents, I have recently bought some to keep a stray away as our cat is petrified when it comes to visit her. Although it isn't really long term, you'd need to put the pellets their regularly.
    All the cats pooping in our garden weren't burying it😷, I think if they're trying to claim it as their territory they don't bother. Definitely think it's not just this cat if it's so bad you're smelling it and the lavender plants are worth a try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    That's such a shame. Sounds like you've tried everything, I can't believe they won't take it as it's clearly a stray. Even if it was someone's pet they would have to be shocking pet owners and wouldn't deserve it, anyway!
    😞
    Even if it is clearly a stray there are legal requirements when impounding an animal - one of which sets out who can impound them - and if they aren't followed and the cat does happen to be owned then there could be problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I actually think if you're smelling that much cat waste that the cat isn't living there, it wouldn't be sleeping and pooping in the same spot ya know? It probably does its business there because it's nice and private from the bushes, if it's that bad and food is being left there it is also probably more than one neighborhood cat. I would leave a note where the neighbor would be able to see it asking her to stop and maybe ring your bell to discuss why and also trim the bushes to try and make it not so private. There are also motion detection alarms you can get the emit a pitch they don't like.

I feel for you, one of the reasons we broke the lease at our first flat over here was because we had like 12 neighborhood cats and strays using our back garden as a litter box plus coming up to our windows and spraying them in front of our two house cats which was making our cats go absolutely nuts and really aggressive from the stress. They were driving me mental!
    Yeah, I have a feeling it's more than one cat pooping in there now. The poop is visible and not buried, so it's like a giant free-for-all outdoor cat litter tray.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Citrus peels are meant to be a cheap and easy deterrent. Start sprinkling orange & lemon peel under the bushes.

If you dont hear from the real estate can you trim the bushes yourself a bit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    If you dont hear from the real estate can you trim the bushes yourself a bit?
    We could trim a bit, though the bulk of it would require equipment which we don't have and would have to purchase ourselves.

I've sent an email this morning to follow up, so hopefully we're really close to having it sorted.

I've read about the citrus peels being effective, so I'll try that too. Anything that'll stop the poop-a-rama

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    A sprinkler?
    The issue I have with this particular situation is the fact that the cat in question has been "welcomed" in a sense and fed. (at the OP's reluctance, I understand that and fully empathise with not wanting to encourage a stray) All an animal knows is home and safety is where the food is. I find it a bit sad that after having found this sanctuary it will now return to find deterrents in place, no trees and no food. It will inevitably wander off and starve to death somewhere. If it hadn't have been offered food from the get go, it would have moved on and yes, possibly still starved to death somewhere, but (and this is not directed at you @Degrassi as I understand your frustration and the situation you're finding yourself is not your fault) I find it cruel to now start with the sprinklers, pellets etc because the animal has had a taste of some form of TLC and is now being turned away.
    I hope I'm expressing myself correctly here and not coming across as some crazy cat lady! I'm not at all, just in this particular situation, I think the animal deserves to be re homed if possible. We had a stray turn up in almost identical circumstances last year, it decided to hang out in my front bushes and, already having two cats I wasn't about to start feeding it because once you do that, they NEVER leave. I was feeling so stressed and torn as to what to do but luckily a couple walking past noticed it sitting there looking all mangy and feral and knocked on my door asking if I was aware of it, I explained it had turned up a few days ago and was obviously a stray so they returned with a box and took it away. Had that not happened I probably would have starting calling the local rescue organisations.
    I still don't understand why the places you've called can't get the cat and scan it for a microchip to see if it has an owner? I'm confused by their protocol, as I thought this is exactly what they did.
    Actually, the neighbour who initially starting feeding this cat should take responsibility for it now but it's a bummer you can't locate them.
    I know it's not what everyone would do, but (if it is in fact only the one cat you've actually seen) I'd still go the ad on Gumtree route at this stage.
    Again Degrassi, I totally get your frustrations and it's a sh!tty situation and not something you've asked for.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 01-03-2016 at 10:37.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

hopeful1986  (01-03-2016),LaDiDah  (01-03-2016)