+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default WWYD? Cat 'living' in garden

We live in a rented house and have been here for about 2.5 years. Since we moved in we have occasionally seen a cat in our front garden. It's very timid and looks mangy like a stray. The last few months we have seen it more regularly.

Our front garden has some large bushes and the cat seems to like hanging out in there a lot. One of the neighbours who is an animal lover approached me when I was out the front about 3 weeks ago to ask if I minded if she put some food in the bushes for the cat. I said I didn't mind.

Fast forward to now and our front yard reeks of cat faeces. You can smell it strongly when you walk up the front stairs, so any visitor that comes to the front door will smell it. Seems like the cat is living in there almost full time.

We have no pets ourselves and our rental property forbids them. I am currently waiting on the real estate to get back to me regarding trimming the bushes (we are supposed to have garden maintenance included in the rent), which might make things less cat-friendly.

Bottom line is - I don't want this to continue. If it wasn't for the stench I wouldn't mind, but it's hardly something I should be faced with when I choose not to own animals myself.

What would you do? Note that I'm not 100% sure which house the animal loving neighbour lives in, so I would have to knock on a few doors to find her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Honestly now you've fed the cat you're going to be fighting a battle. We had a cat that used to wander and one of our old neighbours started feeding it. I begged them not to as I wanted the cat to stop straying (this was nearly 20 years ago and people were more tolerant of roaming animals) but they did anyway. Lo and behold until we actually moved we didn't see our cat.

If you want to take photos and put them on signs up and down your street asking for the owner to come and get their cat.

Or you'll have to take it to a shelter and hope it's microchipped.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (27-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Moth balls! Throw them everywhere! They hate it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinachris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Call your local council animal mgmt centre. They usually have procedures for strays or can provide you with a trap so that the cat can be removed.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MadeWithLove For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If the cat is very timid it will more than likely be killed. We made the mistake of taking a stray to the RSPCA a few years ago and within a few days they had disposed of it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted View Post
    If the cat is very timid it will more than likely be killed. We made the mistake of taking a stray to the RSPCA a few years ago and within a few days they had disposed of it
    Yep. Cats are in massive oversupply and they don't even try and rehome many of them. They just have too many 😔

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Look up a "No kill" cat rescue organization in your local area and give them a call, hopefully they can nurse it back to health and re home it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-02-2016),Mod-Degrassi  (27-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    Look up a "No kill" cat rescue organization in your local area and give them a call, hopefully they can nurse it back to health and re home it.
    This is a good idea. I would like to see the cat move on, but I don't want him dead

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (27-02-2016)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    This is a good idea. I would like to see the cat move on, but I don't want him dead
    Let me know how you get on 😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    Let me know how you get on 😃
    Well I made some calls today. Cat rescue won't accept strays in case they are someone's pet. Council don't get involved with cats at all. The RSPCA advised me to hire a trap and bring it in to them.

I think for now I'm going to work on deterrents. I need to find the neighbour and ask her to stop putting food out for it. I need to let the real estate know that we need the bushes trimmed ASAP. I made a lemon & eucalyptus spray and sprayed the mulch (apparently cats hate citrus and essential oils).

There is crap EVERYWHERE and it's truly disgusting