Donating cord blood | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Donating cord blood

Are you still able to donate cord blood if you have a water birth? I can't find any info on it.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I found this info on a NZ cord blood collecting website:

"I’m having a water birth – can the cord blood still be collected?
    You can have the labour in the water, but you would need to get out of the water once fully dilated in order to give birth and then have the cord cut and clamped. There are a number of reasons for this. One is the chance of contamination from the water. Another is that the cord blood is collected using a gravity bag method so you need to be laid down, in order to facilitate the collection of the cord blood. CordBank typically clamps and cuts the umbilical cord immediately after birth and before the placenta is delivered, in order to collect as much cord blood as possible."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Hmmm... I'll ask at my appointment next month. I think I'd rather donate cord blood than have a water birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Asked the midwife about it and I can't do both so I've decided on a water birth and delayed cord clamping.