+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nightmare! Hope u can get out of the lease 😔

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Those conditions sound hideous

I would do everything in my power to get out of there. A dump like that should never be listed for lease.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    We signed a lease on a property (for 1 year) and once we got the keys and I had a proper chance to look through it (the Agent had rushed us through the pre-signing inspection) we found it to be soaked in cat urine in three of the four main living areas. I immediately wrote a very terse letter stating which sections of the Residential Tenancies Act I believed had been breached, and threatened to take them to the Tribunal about it. Rather than fight what was going to be a losing in Court, we were instead allowed out of the lease without penalty.

Your new Landlord (or the Agent which represents him) has a duty under the Residential Tenancies Act to provide you with a property which is safe and in a clean and livable condition. This is the case regardless of whether a lease was signed or not. You can contact the Tenant's Union in your state to clarify your rights in this matter.
    This.

That's appalling. If you absolutely have to, you could break the lease. Our last property had a break lease fee of 6 weeks rent. Not ideal, but better than living there. And take them to the tribunal in the interim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No I don't drive I had a huge fight with DH as my anger bottled up. Going to view some properties over the weekend and it's already starting to rain here. It's worse as its a state move too so I have no help. My mum came for a week and that's all she could come for. I didn't want bring my furniture over as its revolting. Fx the inspections go well over weekend. Thanks girls

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh no. That's hard. We just moved from Newcastle to Bundaberg. It was so hard knowing what to do in terms of rentals without viewing. Luckily we found a real estate that let us do a site unseen lease, and the place is actually quite good. Unable to get any sort of internet connection though.

I have my fingers crossed for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update.

We got a new house we move tomorrow yay! And the landlord of this house didn't even lodge the bond. Ugh.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (09-03-2016),CakeyMumma  (08-03-2016),Carpe diem 2013  (13-03-2016),Chillies  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay for the moving! Boo for the bond. We're still waiting for our bond for a house that we left on 15 January. We're coming up to 2 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    Yay for the moving! Boo for the bond. We're still waiting for our bond for a house that we left on 15 January. We're coming up to 2 months.
    Serious!! That sucks. My tenants aren't paying rent in our own house I'm financially ruined

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's terrible! Can you evict them?
    Here I am over paying rent (on the last 3 houses I've lived in) and not getting it back. You need a tenant like me😂

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    That's terrible! Can you evict them?
    This. There's the potential under every piece of residential tenancies legislation in Aus to evict for not paying rent.

Unfortunately as a landlord you need to make sure you have enough in reserves to cover loss of rent, maintenance and repairs. Otherwise things can go bad really quickly.