+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Stomach Pain in 4yr old

Following on from my earlier post

My 4yr old DS has been complaining about getting stabbing pains behind her belly button for over 4 months now on and off. Usually after she has had a couple of mouthfuls of food, she then won't eat anymore even if you offer her special treats. She goes to the toilet regularly with no constipation or gastro. She also doesn't suffer from reflux or colic. We took her to the doctors last week as it has been going on for too long now. He has done all the usual blood tests and everything has come back normal, the next step is an ultrasound but after that he doesn't want to do anything else if nothing shows up. He said that if nothing shows up on the ultrasound and bloods then there is nothing wrong. I'm not 100% convinced though.

Has anyone else had a child complain about this? What would you do? I really have no idea what to do to help my little girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, it was an umbilical hernia. A lot of children haven them and they usually self correct by the age of four. My four year old didn't have a big one however complained a lot. The surgeon left it up to us and we said we wanted it fixed. It was a very quick procedure and a day stay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Aquilah,
    How did they pick it up that it was a hernia? Our GP has felt her belly and said it was all soft and normal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Following. My DD is 4 and has been complaining for a couple of years about a sore belly. We just did ultrasound and blood test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Ds3 just had a umbilical her in a fixed. His was picked up at his first peas appointment. It was visible. Because his was above the belly button it would never fix itself it needed surgery. I had a emergency repair at 19 weeks pregnant with him. I never wanted him to go through that sort of pain. He went in a 9 am and was home by 2 pm that day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    An abdominal xray can diagnose fecal impaction / severe constipation.

My DD was going to the toilet regularly, however an xray revealed she was significantly backed up. She complained of stomach pains, refused to eat, had a bloated stomach and skid marks in her undies.

Anxiety can also manifest as stomach pains in kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well to me it looked like nothing. His belly button did stick out a bit but that was about it. The surgeon thought he was having him on but my son isn't a complainer so he did the surgery. I would maybe ask for a referral to a surgeon for another opinion?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    An abdominal xray can diagnose fecal impaction / severe constipation.

My DD was going to the toilet regularly, however an xray revealed she was significantly backed up. She complained of stomach pains, refused to eat, had a bloated stomach and skid marks in her undies.

Anxiety can also manifest as stomach pains in kids.
    This was exactly DD. Ongoing tummy pain and nausea, and some reflux. She went to the toilet regularly. Xray revealed quite a lot of backed up faeces. I was so shocked. I was given this explanation- imagine you have a sock (bowel). Every day pop a couple of ping pong balls (faeces) in it. Almost every day, squeeze just one ping pong ball out. Some days you don't get around to squeezing any ping pong balls out. Even though you're still getting a ping pong ball out most days, they are still getting backed up in there.
    The doctor made us do a diary where she wrote down bowel movements going by the Bristol Stool Chart. Turns out she was having a lot of small, firm movements. Some days she would have normal movements. Some days none. I didn't really realise until she did the diary.

So we fixed that. Great. But she still c/o nausea and tummy pain. After many, many investigations (xrays, abdo u/s, gastric emptying test, elimination diet, bloods, stool test, gastroscopy) and much, much time, nothing came up. I decided to take her to a psych as a last option. Psych got 20 minutes in to our first session with DD (after me giving her the back story first) and looked at me and said "is it not now blindingly clear to you that she has anxiety?", and yes, it was. The psych just knew exactly what questions to ask and what to look for, which is why I couldn't see it before. And it turns out that DD's anxiety was manifesting in somatic symptoms rather than plain nervousness. The constipation would likely have been from anxiety as well.

Now about 9 months later, she is great. Anxiety has been reduced dramatically. Tummy problems are much much better.
    She still has reflux but that's a different issue from what we can see.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your ideas. I hadn't thought of any of these.

Aquillah, her belly button just looks normal to me, although my husband seems to think that one side is higher than the other Did your little one have a lump or anything? As we can't feel anything around there

I think our biggest worry comes from when she was still in utero. Every ultrasound we had they would double and triple check her belly measurements as it was always showing extremely large. They put it down to just that she was a little fatty, she has always had a belly even with her skinny little legs.