+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    This sounds dodgy to me. I'd be upfront with the company that you're working with just in case you do want to work for them in the future. It's a part of having temps that they move on.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help!!

Having been a temp recruitment consultant, It's definitely his job to tell the company.

It is also his responsibility to replace you/fulfill the companies requirements.

So if the company needed a temp for a 1 week assignment. He has to fulfill that 'order'.

I used to be honest with my clients and say look the person I have out with you really wants ongoing work which you cannot offer, however I have a replacement temp that will pick up where he/she left off so I can put person a into ongoing work.

Most companies are good and they understand that that's the nature of temping!

Exactly what others have said, he's trying to save face by not letting them know he actually put you forward for another role whilst you were contracted to them.
    I guess it's up to you what you do here, it certainly wouldn't be right if this would jeopardize you ever going back there for a temp role, and I would be expressing that concern with him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So now I'm even more annoyed at him...

He rang to say I'd been offered this new ongoing temp position which is great, but I explained to him that today, my current employer started to teach me quite a complicated process as they need help with this particular task, they obviously trust me enough to teach it to me and trust me to do it (I muse be doing something right).

So anyway I told him that because he knows that I would have liked an ongoing temp role at my current job, but he spoke with them a few weeks ago and at that stage they couldn't offer me longer periods than a week at a time. I've been there around 6 weeks already.

Anyway I explained to him that they spoke about wanting someone to help them with this particular task and now they have asked me, and trained me. So his response was that I would enjoy the new role, it's ongoing and that the current employer couldn't offer me more than week by week (even though he hasn't spoken to them recently)

So I never accepted the new role, I was under the understanding he would WAIT for me to tell my current employer, because I already committed to working there next week (which I told him) and he said 'don't worry I have someone who I can put there to fill the position'... So I just said something like 'oh ok' as didn't k ow what else to say, and then I said 'oh ok well I'll talk to my manager there this arvo and let her know And then I will text you to tell you and then you can confirm with the other company'

So my manager was in a meeting and then she left early, so i didn't get to tell her so I text the agency and told him and then he replies 'I have confirmed your start date for next week with the other company!!!''

WTF? I was hoping to ask my current employer if they may need me for a few months or just more than week by week because I prefer working here, and I never gave him the go ahead to confirm my start date! All I said was 'I would need to start on a Tuesday as have appointments on Monday' (which I had already cleared with current employer.

Argh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm now I know that your current job is week by week I wouldn't worry about them at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Hmm now I know that your current job is week by week I wouldn't worry about them at all.
    I wouldn't normally but I think there may be potential for it to possibly be different now as things seem to have changed. I'm annoyed coz I didn't get the opportunity to ask...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not much usually changes in 6 weeks in my opinion. The people in charge of you medic someone to do that role all the time. But most likely HR are the ones making the decisions and they don't really care what anyone needs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Not much usually changes in 6 weeks in my opinion. The people in charge of you medic someone to do that role all the time. But most likely HR are the ones making the decisions and they don't really care what anyone needs.
    Maybe you're right. I don't know, I'm still going to ask this morning though. It's a smaller company which only has around 40 staff and the work is consistent but has much much busier periods as well, and so many of the staff have told me they need more staff. They have told me that almost every day, and they have currently got about 5 temps there who have been ongoing there for years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your Temp Recruiter sounds dodgy. I'd rather tell the truth, then let him make you look bad.

Talk to the Manager. Tell them that the Agency has put you up for another position which is due to start the following week, however, you enjoy the work there and was wondering if there would be ongoing work or a permanent position for you. Tell them you'd rather not leave them in the lurch but the Agency set this up and you can't afford to be unemployed if the position falls through and the current workplace has no further work for you.

I wouldn't lie to protect the recruitment agency - but then, there's a chance you won't get any further work through the recruitment agent if he gets annoyed with you for telling the truth. It's a hard one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I spoke to my manager this morning, the recruitment agency went and accepted the other position on my behalf yesterday arvo!! I didn't want him to do that and it wasn't my understanding that he would.

But anyway, I spoke with manager and said I had a new position, but preferred to stay where I am, is she able to give me anything longer term, like on a month by month instead of week by week, I explained why and she spoke to the other manager and came back saying yes and they wanted me to stay. Anyway, she asked which agency and I couldn't lie. She was pretty ****ed off (with the agency)

Anyway she emailed him saying she spoke with me and that she can offer me month to month and the agent rang me about 5 times immediately after and text me too. I tried my best to explain everything but he was SO angry. He didn't yell but he was quiet. He hardly said anything and then was very short with me.

It was awkward and I hated every second of it. I tried to explain that I never accepted the position and that I was not expecting him to accept until I had spoken to my current manager.

I'm so stressed out about it. I could let care less about him or the agency now, I think he's dodgy and was only looking after himself, and he's seems to be one of those that would hold a grudge. I jut don't want to have to deal with him ever again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't worry about the employment agency. There are others around and it seems like, despite the issue with them, this turned out well for you (since your current employer are offering something a bit more stable). Plus, they probably think more highly of you since you showed loyalty to them rather than the agency.
    Last edited by hopeful1986; 26-02-2016 at 15:15.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (26-02-2016)