+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    When toddlers start to fluff around at bedtime and don't fall asleep until late it's time to either:
    1) shorten the day nap (eg to 30 mins) or cut it altogether
    2) accept a later bedtime (don't sit in your kids room and try to get him to sleep for 2 hours).

It sucks when day naps are gone
    Yes. My 4.5yr old still sleeps 2-3 hours each day and goes to bed at 8.

I don't want it gone!!

It's all gone downhill since we moved. I've never had to sit with him to fall asleep and now I do. He turned 2 a few weeks back and only 2 months ago was happy to sleep and go to bed on time. It's not even a slight change in his routine - it's totally, dramatically different.

If I don't sit with him then he cries (which I have no prob with) but my parents do - they refuse to allow a child to cry where as that's how he learnt to self settle (please note, he was never left for long periods to CIO).

And as normal, I've just asked mum what time he wakes and she's all cranky now because she thinks all this new age routine stuff is all BS and he just needs a bottle to fall asleep.

I'll try and get her to have him up by 2 and see how it goes, coz I can't be doing housework at 11pm, it's just s..H1t!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    My 2yo dropped her day sleep at 18m and still takes till 9 to fall asleep.

Your mum isn't lying. You were on a good wicket and it's come to an end. Had to happen, just be thankful it lasted for as long as it did. Try shortening the nap but don't expect it to last very long.
    See both my older kids slept/still sleep till the age of 4-5, which is why I probably have a hard time accepting that. But Now that I've seen that some kids do drop their sleeps earlier I will def consider not having him sleep at all, if he can hold out till 7.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    To answer your original question OP my 2 year old goes to bed at 7:30/8pm.

On school days he gets up at 7am and may sleeps for about an hour at daycare. At home he gets up around 8am and sleeps for approx 2.5 hours from 2-4/4:30ish.
    And he's tired at 730 if he wakes at 430??

Oh I so want this right now!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    At that age my daughter was up about 7, nap from 12:30-3, bed at 7. We did have to cut down the nap when bedtimes went haywire (up at 2:30, then more recently at 2).

Could he be too excited with you in there? I know that's what he wants, but could possibly be messing with him getting to sleep?
    Perhaps, but unfortunately the other adults in the house don't like leaving him for a sook, and I don't have any other options of living arrangements for the next few months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Almost 2... Goes to bed 11pm most nights. Wakes around 9am. Sleeps through most nights unless he's teething or not well or one of the kids accidentally wakes him. He sometimes sleeps in bed with us on in his cot. He falls asleep on the couch or on the floor or cuddled up to me then I move him in the cot.

Works for us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD has had a 7pm bedtime since about 12mo (I think, it's been a while!) and my 19mo DS goes to bed at 6:30/7pm. DS usually goes to sleep fairly easily and self-settles unless he's not well. He wakes 1-2 times per night and is up between 6:30-7:30am. He naps from midday for about 2hrs.

DD dropped her nap a few months after she turned 3. Up until then her naps didn't interfere with night sleep.

When we have had sleep issues in the past with DS, I find sitting with him can be really counter productive. It worked when he was under 1yo but since then it just makes him hyper vigilant. I think he stays awake just to make sure I don't leave. So we did have to get a little tough and did the whole 'reassure and leave' thing. It's hard when you have unsupportive people in the home though, everyone needs to be on board for it to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS2 is 2yr5mo and I try to put him to bed around 8pm but it's usually after 9:30pm before he falls asleep. He wakes around 6:30am. This is with a 1-2hr nap. On days when he doesn't have a nap he'll generally go to bed easily by 8pm at the latest. Unfortunately he struggles to get through the day without a nap and almost always has one at daycare even though I ask them to keep it short.

If you can drop or shorten the nap I'd try that. It might not be possible to do it every day, maybe allow a nap every second day or something similar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default What time does your 2yo go to bed

Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Yes. My 4.5yr old still sleeps 2-3 hours each day and goes to bed at 8.

I don't want it gone!!

It's all gone downhill since we moved. I've never had to sit with him to fall asleep and now I do. He turned 2 a few weeks back and only 2 months ago was happy to sleep and go to bed on time. It's not even a slight change in his routine - it's totally, dramatically different.

If I don't sit with him then he cries (which I have no prob with) but my parents do - they refuse to allow a child to cry where as that's how he learnt to self settle (please note, he was never left for long periods to CIO).

And as normal, I've just asked mum what time he wakes and she's all cranky now because she thinks all this new age routine stuff is all BS and he just needs a bottle to fall asleep.

I'll try and get her to have him up by 2 and see how it goes, coz I can't be doing housework at 11pm, it's just s..H1t!
    I would be hesitant in dropping his nap since he's had such a big life change as it could all be associated with that. I would start with asking your mom to ensure he's not sleeping more than two hours and is up by 3pm, do that for a bit and go from there.

So many American children still nap until 4 or 5 years old so for me it's kind of engrained that he will still nap for quite a while, no way I would drop it before 3 years old, I need the break!

Eta: I also try to get him outside for a little bit after nap, even if it's just a quick scoot or walk down the street, just something to try and burn his energy.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 25-02-2016 at 00:06.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (25-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    And he's tired at 730 if he wakes at 430??

Oh I so want this right now!!
    My DS would still fall asleep around 7pm if he woke around 4/4.30, so had 3-3.5 hour naps. But that usually meant he needed the longer sleep for whatever reason. I've literally only started the waking him after two hours the past few days to see if it stopped the random early waking, which I think it has.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I

If my DD slept late at that age,she would be up for hours at night too. I would ask your mum for him to be up by 2 30ish, then give her a phone call at that time in the afternoon to make sure she's woken him