+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Food ideas for 8 month old picky eater

My DD is now almost 8 months old and not very interested in solids but getting a bit better. She seems quite fussy and doesn't like anything savoury except sandwiches really. She is not a huge fan of being spoon fed she prefers finger foods. I am persisting with offering veg every day.
    I'd really appreciate some ideas of things I can add in to her diet - preferably finger foods. I'm worried she's just getting stuck on fruit and custard.
    This is what she currently (reliably) likes:
    Wholemeal sandwich with cottage cheese/ricotta/vegemite and grated cheese
    Pieces of grated cheese
    Vanilla custard
    Pear and apricot or pear and blueberry purée or plain pear
    Mashed mango
    Watermelon, rockmelon

Doesn't like
    Any kind of porridge
    Banana
    Veg purées/mash (have tried individual veg and combinations of pumpkin, carrot, sweet potato, potato, zucchini, broccoli, Sweetcorn)
    Yoghurt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I did BLW and my niece who is ten months old is also doing it and some ideas that we did at 8 months are:

Egg pancake - 1 egg beaten and fried in non stick mini egg pan and cut into strips ( or into little pieces) I also added whatever herbs I had, chia seeds and tomato

Salmon - fresh salmon grilled or steamed and flakes into little pieces - they just pick them up and feed themselves

Cucumber sticks - cut a Lebanese cucumber in half and I dipped it in greek yogurt or guacamole - it's too big for them to break off bits but they gum off the soft flesh and they are great dipper sticks!

Veggie or meat nuggets - just grated veggies and minced chicken/fish/Turkey mixed with 1 egg and rolled in rice crumbs or bread crumbs and baked - they nibble/gum off little pieces

Toast - try avocado or almond butter or spread scrambled eggs over it (vegemite is high in salt and msg so try not to give too much!)

Rice cakes - the thick brown rice cakes are great as they gum off the rice and try avocado, nut butters , cottage cheese

Pasta - just wholemeal spaghetti or rice noodles tossed in ricotta and cooked mashed peas - it's really messy but they grab handfuls, gum and chew it!

Whole steamed veggies ( just tossed in a tiny bit of olive oil and sliver of butter) broccoli is the best as they hold the stalk and nibble the tops

Lamb cutlets - grill to medium rare , they hold the chop handle and suck out the juices

It will take her a few weeks to "get it" if she's used to purées but just put the food on her tray and let her eat as much as she wants - eat with her so she can see you enjoying the food and keep offering even if at first she doesn't seem keen - any soft fruit is fine as well , DS inhaled bananas at that age!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 24-02-2016 at 09:47.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (24-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

All the above sound like great suggestions. I wish I could try all of them but my ds2 is intolerant to milk and egg at the moment. I've found little strips of meat are good, for example I will buy a roast chicken and just give him strips and it's surprising how much he does actually eat.
    Meatballs are quite good as they hold together well and you can add a few veggies.
    Pasta
    Baked beans on toast
    Sweet potato wedges always go down well
    Spoon dipped in peanut butter, just give them the spoon to play with. My toddler has now decided this is his favourite food and wants to just eat it from the jar!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD loves to eat:
    -butter beans (I just drain the can and scatter a few on her tray).
    - boiled egg (whole or cut in half),
    - puffed corn (from the cereal isle
    - strips of avocado
    - spiral pasta (with or without a sauce)
    - vege bread
    - zucchini slice
    - grilled fish fillet (then flaked on tray).

She's not keen on being spoon fed so I just put it down on a tray/plate for her, or load a spoon with a thick soup/stew and let her do it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mixed apple/vege purée. My DD won't eat straight vege purée but mixed 50/50 with a fruit purée and she will eat it.
    Shredded roast chicken
    Steamed salmon
    Grated cheese
    Crackers (although not very healthy)
    Hummus
    Potato wedges

My DD also loves custard and sometimes that all she will eat So I started making it to make it a bit healthier. This is the recipe. I use half the sugar and add a bit of vanilla essence. http://m.recipes.coles.com.au/mt/un....ct=un_jtt_iosV

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Roasted pumpkin, roasted sweet potato, ******ed broccoli florets, scrambled eggs, toast with avo, grilled fish were favourites here.

And everything @elijah's mum says is brilliant.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Risotto (can make it into balls for easier eating)
    Spag bol (cut up the pasta into a manageable size)
    Chicken mince made into breadcrumbed fingers
    Beans (lentils or chickpeas)
    Last edited by Gentoo; 24-02-2016 at 17:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should have said also to retry foods that bub previously wouldn't eat. Not the next meal but a week or so later. They might change their mind and decide they like it after all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so so much I love these ideas. I made some blueberry and banana pikelets which she seemed to like so I can adapt that to include yoghurt or ricotta or savoury.
    Over the next week I'll try the flaked salmon, meatballs, shredded chicken, potato wedges and pasta!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another easy one is to cut up a snapper fillet into strips, coat in breadcrumbs (with or without egg wash) and then cook in the oven for about 10 mins depending on thickness.