Any hints for habit of whingy sounds from 1 yr old pls | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any hints for habit of whingy sounds from 1 yr old pls

Does anyone have hints for getting a 1 yr old old out of the phablet of making whinge sounds regularly pls ? Has anyone had success with this pls ?
    I thought a music dancing DVDs in the background might help

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is nearly 3 but from the start I've always said to him 'no we don't whine, ask me nicely' and then modelled how I would ask for it. I did this even before he could talk. He still whines a bit now but it's much better than it used to be.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber4304 For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (16-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have said about ten million times "use your words". Back when it was first words i taught mine"please" and they could use it to point to things even when they didn't know other words. They said it "pwease"( so cute! ). It sounded much better than whining or grunting. I agree, model time and time again how to ask. At this young age you might say "could i have the drink please mummy? Is that what you would like?" And your child can say yes or no. Also. ..never never never never respond to a whine. If it's constant, only give when there is a tiny break in the whining and he/she is silent. Be ready to catch those moments! I say things like "it hurts mummy's ears when i hear that noise but i can help you if you use your words" or "but i can help you when you stop". The less reaction, the quicker it will go away. As a first solution i'd suggest summoning all of your patience for a three day bootcamp of not responding to whines AT ALL. Not even to ask it to stop...nothing! If you persist in not giving the irritating sounds any attention they should go away. (Of course in all of this it goes without saying that little ones only have limited communication so obviously we have to be very understanding and kind too...but I'm sure you get that! )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great ideas. My DS has always been more of a whinger than a crier. I'm lucky he never screamed much but sometimes the whingeing gets on my nerves. I think trying to put words to his whinges would be a great idea for us.