+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 4 yo still having long day sleeps?

Firstly I am not complaining in any way shape or form, I recognise the difficulties others have getting their kids to nap.

My DS is 4.5 and still consistently sleeps during the day, when at home and/or at his grandparents. He doesn't sleep at kindy (there 3 days per week). He's been a good day sleeper since the age of about 2 and his day sleeps range from 1.5-3hrs. It doesn't affect his ability to get to sleep at night (goes to bed around 7:30pm and sleeps through until 7am).
    We put him down between 1-2pm depending on the day's events.
    I often have to go in and wake him at 4:30pm otherwise he'd just keep sleeping.

He's otherwise a bright and energetic kid but I don't know anyone else who's 4 yr old sleeps that much and I do worry a little there could be something wrong? It's great for me as gives me time etc however I feel like he shouldn't need so much sleep at his age. He is due to start prep next year and I worry he won't last the day!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My eldest when 4yo used to sleep like that too. At 5.5yo she has just dropped her nap upon starting school.

Some kids just need more sleep.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (24-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My sister had naps until she was nearly 5, only stopped when she started school. To this day she is just the type who needs more sleep. Meanwhile I gave them up at just over two when my sister was born, and my kids took after me. My DD is 4.5 and gave up naps at 24 months. She sleeps 11-12 hours overnight straight through. Some kids need more sleep, but I've not known many that age sleeping that much, admittedly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Dd2 is 5.5 and still sleeps 2 or so hours almost every day. She normally falls asleep in the car home from school or as soon as we get home. She will sleep until I wake he up for dinner some days, eat then go straight back to bed by 7.30/8, sleep through until 6.30/7am. She has always loved her sleep though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post: