+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tongue and lip tie release - 3 month old

Hi all, I have a 3 month old little girl (DD #2) and have been blessed to be able to breastfeed this time around (first time didn't work out). Some background to this situation - we got off to a great start feeding, but around 6 weeks her weight gain slowed down. There's been many visits to the LC, the paed and the childhood health nurse - after trying different things (cutting out lactose, tests on stool samples, zantac for possible silent reflux, adding a dreamfeed, increasing my supply to a ridiculous level with herbal supplements) with no consistent improvement, it was finally realised she had a tongue tie and lip tie. I had them snipped a week ago by a paediatric dentist. I am just wondering if anyone else had this procedure done on an "older" baby who had already been feeding for a while, and what I can expect now? I followed up with a lactation consultant who said it can take a while to improve as the baby has to relearn how to use the tongue and suck etc. She said baby's latch is great and looks deep, but she can still see that she's only swallowing every 2 to 3 sucks (so still struggling to extract milk efficiently), and her lips were still very tight and holding a lot of tension. She recommended going to a chiropractor to have some bodywork done to release the tension. We had our first visit today and the chiropractor was great! He seemed very knowledgeable and did some gentle adjustments on her back, neck and head, and also helped me with the exercises and stretches I need to be doing in her mouth. We have another appointment later in the week and I will also be following up with the LC. I feel confident that I've gotten the right help and engaged all the right people, but I am just not sure when I can expect to see an improvement? Or if I will at all? Would love to hear anyone else's experiences. She's dropped from the 50th percentile to the 10th and my biggest fear is that it will keep dropping. To make it more complicated, my husband is completely unsupportive of me breastfeeding and thinks I have now reached a "ridiculous" level taking baby to the chiropractor. Any thoughts, advice or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have had both of my babies done. My first one was 9 months old when she was done (very late diagnosis) and she improved immediately. My second was done at 9 days old. Both a lip and a tongue tie. She took longer to improve. I can't remember exactly but I think it took about four weeks to see a big improvement. She feeds like a trooper now though. I just made sure I kept taking her off and reattaching her if her latch was shallow or not quite right.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IncyWincy For This Useful Post:

infinita4  (24-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Just wanted to say good on you for preserving with finding an answer! You had a pretty rough journey so far - I hope now that you've had the lip & tongue tie treated your baby will be able to adapt.

I don't have experience with an older baby being treated with lip & tongue tie but both my kids had TT snipped in the first few weeks and even then it took my DS couple of weeks to get the hang of breastfeeding properly.

I think one of the hubbers has experience with an older baby being treated - @RedCreamingSoda - was that you? Or have I mixed you up with someone else?

I'm sorry that your hubby isn't being supportive either - always makes things tougher. If it's any consolation, I've taken both my kids to a Chiro and a bowen therapist.

Best wishes 😀

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

infinita4  (24-02-2016),RedCreamingSoda  (24-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Feel free to pm me if you need to. It was quite a journey for me the first time, and I did tons of research. My husband was a bit hesitant at the start too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IncyWincy For This Useful Post:

infinita4  (24-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Have you been doing stretching exercises on the revision sites? Eta: I've just seen your chiro is on to that. We did do chiro once after the laser revision but it was too far away for us to go regularly.

My daughters deep, thick and wide posterior tongue tie reattached itself after being snipped (2 weeks old) and then lasered (4 months old).

Her lip tie tried to reattach after being lasered but I was able to stretch and break it.

We never could bf exclusively but the releases made feeding a bit easier (was never pain free for me).

Keep at it - I had to end my bf relationship with my ds at 6 weeks old die to undiagnosed tt and it killed me. I was determined to make my feeding relationship work when my dd came along and although she was never exclusively bf I feel proud to have made it to just before her 2bd bday.
    Last edited by felicia81; 24-02-2016 at 09:28.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to felicia81 For This Useful Post:

infinita4  (24-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP. I have had both my kids revised. My DS at 7 months and my DD at 11 weeks. I had immediate improvement with both kids and their latch but found it took 6 weeks for the full benefits to been seen. For my son I would say that he has never had perfect latch but it's about 90% and that was enough to save our breastfeed relationship. He was exclusively breastfed and I just found a way to manage his slightly uncomfortable feeding style. So from my experience I would say just keep doing what your doing (great work being so proactive with the LC and chiro!) and give it a little more time. I found it useful to encourage my son to move his tongue heaps by giving him lots teething type toys and also a toothbrush just to play with.
    In terms of helping baby improve his milk transfer, please look up breast compression. Particularly dr Jack newmans posts about it.

As for your husband. His comment makes my very annoyed to be honest. Eating is not some kind of luxury! Being able to eat the food that is nutritionally best for you is also not a luxury. It is your baby's right. Doing what you think is best so you baby can get food without discomfort is not ridiculous! Dont forget that struggling to move your tongue and finding it difficult to eat is actually unpleasant for your baby too. Your husband is out of line in my opinion! I'm sorry he said this to you. I am just a stranger on the internet but I fully support you and think you are an amazing mother for being persistent in finding the answers for your bub. X

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

infinita4  (24-02-2016),wobbleyhorse  (24-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The dentist initially explained the exercises and stretches to me and gave me a handout, however, it was right after the procedure so I wasn't listening 100% (too much blood!!). I did them the first week but only twice a day and I don't think I did them vigorous or firmly enough. The chiro was great, he actually did them for me in my mouth so that I understand how to do them. And since the appt I've been doing them 4 times a day and correctly (hopefully!). Baby really hates the one under her tongue, poor bubba. I hate doing that one. I sing to her while I am going them to try and distract her. How long after the procedures did your DD's reattach? I am wondering if it could have reattached at all in the first week when I wasn't doing them properly.

Funnily, feeding was never painful for me with the TT. It's just been a matter of poor weight gain. I had insane pain trying to feed DD#1, but I never figured out what was the cause of that! Perhaps she has a tongue tie too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with breast compression and massaging. Really got milk flowing for me. Also I know it's not directly related, but herbs of gold breastfeeding support improved my supply loads when I was lacking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for everyone sharing their experience and knowledge on this! I will give it 4 - 6 weeks before I panic. Mums love to panic, gotta stop myself.

I just watched the Dr Jack Newman videos on breast compression and they were very useful, thank you. I just tried it at baby's last feed and I think I saw some more swallowing. Will keep doing these. I do recall an LC telling me about these early on but based on the videos she didn't show me how to do them properly.

My husband has been a total cow about this whole situation. He didn't want me to breastfeed from the get go (because of the bad experience I had feeding DD#1) and it's just become a real sore point. Every time she cries, fusses or doesn't sleep I always get the comment that "this wouldn't happen if she was on formula"...which is total BS....DD#1 was on formula from 6 wks and did all of that, he just doesn't remember. Men. In any case, he can moan about it all he wants, I am going to continue breastfeeding and he just has to deal with it. Thank you for your supportive comments about this

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am taking herbs of gold actually, but just 2 a day as it says on the bottle. When I looked at Dr Newman's site he says to take 3 pills 3 times a day! Do you remember how many of those you took a day? I definitely don't smell like maple.