They are older now so maybe it was allowed in the past and
    Not now... I'm not sure sorry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acvr View Post
    They are older now so maybe it was allowed in the past and
    Not now... I'm not sure sorry
    Wasn't targeting your post in particular It's been brought up a few times in this thread

Personally I find the idea of taking a sightseeing tour with a child of people who are sick or suffering absolutely abhorrent. It might be effective but same with beating them into submission and we don't condone that.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (25-02-2016),TheGooch  (25-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks.. I didn't read through all the threads because there were so many.. just thought I'd offer a suggestion... I'm pregnant with first so I guess I won't know how I'd respond until I'm faced with that challenge 😊

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Acvr For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (25-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Trying not to derail the thread but is it even allowed to take kids to the hospital to show them these things?

As a patient I would be MORTIFIED if someone brought their kid in to look at me as an example of what not to do with your life. Besides, how would you even know what cancer is lifestyle related or not?

I certainly wouldn't consent to this and I'm surprised if it's allowed due to privacy/confidentially.

As if my own suffering wasn't enough. How humiliating.
    My thoughts exactly!

If you really wanted to take your kids to the hospital, you could maybe call ahead and ask if there was a patient who may consent to having a chat with your kids. But sick people in hospital wards are not there to be stared at.

I'm horrified. Feels like people are treating a hospital ward, full of very sick people, in the same way they would a zoo.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

A&S  (25-02-2016),Ashram  (25-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a cancer nurse I have never heard of this happening thankfully. If someone tried to bring a group of teens around for show and tell I would call security. If someone called to see if I could find them a dying lung cancer patient to chat to I would hang up the phone.

I have looked after many patients with lung cancer who never smoked in their lives yet they are stigmatised and blamed for their illness. Even the ones who did smoke don't deserve to be blamed for having cancer.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (25-02-2016),gingermillie  (25-02-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (25-02-2016),quietlyhopeful  (25-02-2016),VicPark  (25-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acvr View Post
    I had a relative who took his teenage kids who started smoking to the cancer ward at the hospital to show them the long term health consequences of smoking...
    They stopped pretty quick
    My 4 year old daughter is a patient at a cancer centre. I am horrified that people would ever do this. My mum was also a cancer patient (in remission now). Not on.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (25-02-2016),Mokeybear  (25-02-2016)